KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -    Vol. 16  1886  page 149
                    BARFRESTON CHURCH IN A.D. 1840.  By R.C. Hussey, F.S.A.  Continued

chancel; and in the lower part of the South jamb, the plastering of the nave wall was continued through to the chancel, and the angle of the walling at the junction of the nave and chancel was rudely rounded. In the wall above the chancel arch was found the mutilated trunk of a small statue, 2 feet long to the neck; and also the head and other pieces of another figure, with colouring on themóred, blue, and green; and a portion of a canopy attached to a head; two small heads of animals for corbels, and a fragment of carved foliage, all apparently coeval with the church. There was also a much broken finial, of not good character, apparently of Perpendicular date. Also over the chancel arch was found a broken gravestone with a cross on it; one half, containing the steps forming the foot of the cross, was taken out, but replaced; the rest was not disturbed.

   The mortar of the old floor was found nearly a foot below the present flooring; and it retained the impressions of the quarry paving.
   Remains of painting existed on the Eastern side of the South pier of the chancel arch; and on parts of the chancel walls, especially on the splays of the East windows, where there were figures. An attempt was made to cut some of these from the walling, that they might be replaced, but the plastering was too thin to admit of the operation.
   The bell is ancient; and on it is an invocation to St. Katherine.
   It is apparent from what has been brought to light in these repairs (which have laid open but a very small portion of the construction) that certainly a large part, and probably the whole, of the wrought stone used in the church was not primarily prepared

Page 149  (This page prepared for the Website by Ted Connell)                  

Previous Page       Back to Page listings      Next Page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society September 2004

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk