KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -    Vol. 16  1886  page 147
                    BARFRESTON CHURCH IN A.D. 1840.  By R.C. Hussey, F.S.A.  Continued

Western most window are new; and the arch of the small doorway, with its corbel-heads, and the string Westward of it, are also new. This doorway had been altered, and made square at the top, but the construction shewed the former existence of an arch.*  The ambries in the Eastern part of the side walls of the chancel have new stone bottoms and lintels; the former lintels were of wood. The East wall has been entirely rebuilt above the lower windows. The mullion of the circular window, together with its head and base, which were all of oak, have been renewed in stone. The shaft of another mullion, and the head of a third, are also new; the tracery was repaired; and one new stone was inserted at the top of the circumference. A little new masonry was required in reinstating the string and the lower windows. Nearly the whole of the North wall of the chancel has been rebuilt, except a portion between its Westernmost

window and the nave. A few pieces of new stone were needed to make good the upper string.
   A pair of scissors (or rather small shears) was found embedded in the walling, in the lower part of the Western end of the North wall of the chancel. In the lower part of the Eastern end of the same wall, there was a fragment of ornamental stone-work bearing the following design:

   In the upper part of the Northern portion of the West wall of the nave, a piece of string moulding,
   * This doorway appeared to have been closed for a very long time.

Page 147  (This page prepared for the Website by Ted Connell)                  

Previous Page       Back to Page listings      Next Page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society September 2004

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk