KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 144
                           
ST RADEGUNDíS PRAEMONSTRATENSIAN ABBEY. By W. H. St John Hope B.A.  Continued

Archaeological Society, operations were resumed, under Mr. Ussher's superintendence; the work undertaken being chiefly the clearance of the area of the church. Amongst the more important discoveries were the bases of the reredoses of the altar of our Lady and of the high altar itself. In the middle of the choir was also found the rough foundation of the base of a tomb; in all probability that of Thomas de Poynings, who, by will dated 6 Edw. III, directed his body to be buried in the Abbey of St. Radegund's, "q'est de ma fundacion droit en my le coer devant le haut alter;" and a tomb to be placed over his grave with the image of a knight thereon made of alabaster. John Criol of Lympne, by his will dated 1504, directs his body to be buried in this church next to the sepulchre of Bertram de Criol, in the high chancel.
   During both excavations numerous tiles and other ornamental details, such as mouldings, fragments of carved work, and portions of tombs, and marble shafts and capitals, were discovered; all of which are carefully 

preserved at the Abbey.
   The whole of the existing buildings date from the foundation of 1191, and are of the earliest type of pointed architecture. Much of the work is exceedingly simple in design, and in some parts plain to a degree. There is also a marked absence of ornamental details, although the beautiful fragments discovered shew that some portions of the buildings, at any rate, were adorned with carved work. The walls are of flintwork with ashlar quoins. The jambs, etc., of windows, doors, and arches, are also of ashlar.
   The ground-plan exhibits a long and narrow church, consisting of an eastern limb of six, with aisles of four, severies; north and south transepts, each of two severies, one severy opening into the choir aisle, the other into a square eastern chapel; and an aisleless nave of foure severies, having on its north side a square tower with singular east and west adjuncts. On the south of the nave is the cloister quadrangle, with the chapter house, parlour, and common house on its eastern side; on the south the

Page  144   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page    

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk