who sided with the Parliament, he died prematurely at
Oxford, March 20, 1687-8, having been consecrated Bishop of Oxford only
seventeen months before, on Oct. 17, 1686. He held the second prebendal
stall in Canterbury Cathedral from Nov. 1672 until 1685, when he
resigned it. Ickham he retained with his bishopric.
(28) GEORGE THORPE, S.T.P., who was already Rector of
Bishopsbourne, and held the fifth stall in Canterbury Cathedral
1680-1719, was collated to Ickham, after the death of Bishop Parker, in
1688. He was a benefactor to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, whereat he
endowed, with lands at Ash near Sandwich, five scholarships for Divinity
students. He was buried in the Cathedral 1719, Nov. 28. The entry of his
burial in the Cathedral register describes him as "the Reverend and
Hospitable George Thorp, D.D."
(29) CHARLES BEAN succeeded to this benefice and to that of
Bishopsbourne, January 17, 1720, and held them both for ten years. He
had been Vicar of Lydd from 1711 to 1720, and while there in 1715 his
wife Lucy (nee Session) died; but she was buried at Barham. Mr.
Bean was subsequently buried in the same church; he died
March 30, 1731, in the fifty-sixth year of his age.
(30) JOHN LYNCH, D.D., was one of the nineteen children
borne to John Lynch, Esq., of Staple, by his wife Sarah Head, whose
childhood had been passed at Lee Priory in Ickham, her mother's third
home. Dr. Lynch married Mary, daughter of Archbishop Wake, and by that
primate he was preferred to the rectory of Sundridge in 1727, and to the
fourth prebendal stall in the Cathedral, in April 1728. Three years
later, he was collated both to Ickham and to Bishopsbourne in May 1731.
The deanery of Canterbury was likewise held by Dr. Lynch from 1734 to
1760; and he was Treasurer of Salisbury Cathedral 1735-60. He died in
the latter year, and was interred beside his mother, in his own family
chancel, which is on the north side of Staple Church, in a vault which
he had prepared during his lifetime, beneath the east window.
(31) SIR JOHN HEAD, D.D. (fourth son of Sir Francis Head,
whose childhood was passed at Ickham), succeeded his first cousin, Dean
Lynch, in this benefice, in 1760. He had in 1730 been appointed Rector
of St. George and St. Mary Magdalen, Burgate, in Canterbury; he held a