KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 130
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

of this and all his other preferments, because he was a married man. The sentence of deprivation was issued in the Chapter House at Canterbury, by Dr. Henry Harvey, Vicar-General, and Richard Thornden, Bishop Suffragan of Dover. The descendants of Archdeacon Cranmer remained for some generations at Canterbury, in St. Mildred's Parish. His son Thomas, who was Registrar of the Archdeaconry, was buried there in 1604.
   (20) ROBERT MARSH was appointed Rector of Ickham on the 12th of April 1554 by Queen Mary.
   (21) HENRY LATHAM was rector in 1555.
   (22) WILLIAM PYAT, "parson of Ickham," was buried here 21st of September 1568.
   (23) SAMUEL HARLESTONE was admitted to this benefice by Archbishop Parker on the 2nd of Nov. 1568, and held it for the long period of forty-eight years. By his will, made in 1616, he bequeathed 20 to the poor of the parish, to be so invested as to provide for distributing twenty shillings per annum.
   (24) WILLIAM KINGSLEY, S.T.P., Fellow of All Souls, Oxford, and rector of Great Chart, which he resigned for Ickham, succeeded Harlestone. He was 

collated to this rectory on the 25th of January 1616-7 by Archbishop Abbot, whose niece, Damaris Abbot, became his wife. By her he had sixteen children. He was appointed Archdeacon of Canterbury in 1619, and retained these preferments for more than a quarter of a century. He was also Rector of Saltwood with Hythe. On the 29th of January 1647-8 he died, and was buried in the Cathedral, where in 1614 he had succeeded Isaac Casaubon in the eighth stall, which he held for twenty-nine years. His daughter Ann, widow of John Boys, became the third wife of Sir Richard Head of Rochester, whose grandchildren passed their childhood and youth in Ickham, at Lee Priory; Sir Richard's great-grandson, Sir John Head, became Rector of Ickham and Archdeacon of Canterbury. Archdeacon Kingsley witnessed the beginning of the troublous times of the Rebellion. One of the numerous petitions sent up to Parliament in May 1643 alleges that Archbishop Kingsley preached poisonous doctrine in Ickham Church. Parliament, he was alleged to have said, sat for nothing but to undo the kingdom; and the laity were not all competent to search the Scriptures.

Page  130   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk