KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 126
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

                 RECTORS OF ICKHAM.*
   (1) WALTER DE CHELECUMB is the first whose name we have been able to learn. In October 1283 he was appointed joint auditor of the accounts of Roger Burt, Treasurer of the Chamber (Archbp. Peckham's Register, 153b). He died in December 1284.
   (2) MARTIN DE HAMPTON, who succeeded Chelecumb, was instituted on 8 kal. Feb. 1284-5, and was inducted by Master Richard, the Rector of Adisham. Hampton, who was a Canon of Wingham, died in 1306, and was buried in the chancel of Ickham Church. The matrix of his monumental brass remains.
   (3) WILLIAM DE BRITALL may or may not have been Hampton's immediate successor. We only know that in 1322 he was "deprived" of his benefice by "definitive sentence."
   (4) ROBERT DE NORTON, a great ecclesiastical lawyer, held the benefice for a few months, from November 1322 to July 1323, when he was Rector of Ivychurch. In vacating this living, and that of Merstham, in Surrey, he made a written protest that if the rectory of Ivychurch involved him in litigation he would return to his former 

benefices. He had been Rector of Woodchurch from 1314 to 1315; and was collated to Merstham in January 132 1/2 by Archbishop Reynolds, "intuitu caritatis;" he acted as Proctor at the Court of Rome, for that Archbishop in 1322.
   (5) THOMAS DE HOWE received the benefice "in commendam" in July 1323.
   (6) ROBERT DE SOLBURY, who obtained this preferment in April 1324, retained it during twenty-seven years. A special commission of jurisdiction here was granted to him in July 1326. He became Provost of Wingham College in July 1351; and he seems then to have exchanged this benefice for the rectory of Eynsford. He lived until 1358.
   * The income of the Rector of Ickham was valued, in A.D. 1292, at 45 marks per annum. In 1535, it was said to be 29 13s. 4d., mainly from tithes, but was bound to provide a priest to serve Well Chapel, at a stipend of 3 6s. 8d. per annum; and to pay 15s. at every visitation, for "proxies and synodes," the net value of the benefice was said to be 25 11s. 8d. in 1535. Fifty-three years later its annual value was 150; in 1640, it was 250; in 1800 it had increased to 450; and its tithes at the Commutation were converted into a rent charge of 997 per annum.

Page  126   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk