KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 121
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

The north transept, however, belonged to the owners of the Lee Priory estate, and has ever been called the Lee chancel. In its north wall lies the effigy of a priest, in simple eucharistic vestments; his feet rest upon a dog. On his head he wears a close round cap, but his hair appears beneath it, falling a little lower than his ears.
   Hasted* erroneously suggests that this tomb may commemorate Richard de la Legh, who held the Lee estate in 1385 (13 Edward I). He did not observe that the effigy represents a priest.
   It is impossible now to determine with accuracy the name of this priest; but, from the period to which the effigy seems to belong, we may suggest the possibility that it may represent a Rector of Ickham named William Heghtresbury. He was instituted to this benefice in October 1354. His will, proved in November 1372, directed that he should be buried in Ickham Church; without specifying that his tomb should be made in the high chancel, or in any particular spot. He was a man of some distinction; canon of Salisbury, canon of Wingham, and, in 1371, Chancellor of Oxford University. Another possible suggestion is that this effigy may commemorate Thomas at Le, priest of Dennis's chantry here. His name points to a connection with Lee 

by birth; and the fact that he exchanged the Rectory of Goodneston for this chantry proves his attachment to the place.
   William Heghtresbury, the rector mentioned above, bequeathed to this church a Portiphory with silver gilt clasps, containing the musical notation from which to sing the service; and also two Missals, one called his Red Missal, and the other his First Missal with silver-gilt clasps. In addition to
   (note continued from p. 120) of this perpetual chantry of St. Mary the Virgin and St. Katherine, he presented Stephen Cherlesfeld, who resigned in 1410. The priests who succeeded Cherlesfeld were Thomas Braborne in September 1410; John Sergant in April 1420; John Wymbeldon in February 1420-1; John Kervyle in October 1427; Laurence Verdon in July 1428; and Thomas at Le (Rector of Goodneston) in May 1429. This gentleman was evidently a native of Ickham, born on the Lee estate. At length, the endowment of this chantry became so diminished in value, that it would not maintain a chantry-priest. Consequently, on the 8th of August 1483, Archbishop Bourgchier issued a commission, to Nicholas Bulfinch, rector of Ickham, by which the rector was authorized to sequestrate, to his own use, the endowment of the chantry on account of its small value (Bourgchier's Register, 176b).
   * History of Kent, vol. ix., pp. 172, 178.

Page  121   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk