KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 120
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

at Bay. The register teems with entries of their baptisms, marriages, and burials. Two epitaphs commemorative of them remain in the floor. *

THE NORTH TRANSEPT
   In the north transept, an altar-recess, carried up externally to a pointed gable-end, similar to that in the south transept, was inserted during the fourteenth century. The east window in this recess, however, seems to be of a rather earlier type than that in the other transept; as does the external stringcourse beneath it, and the hoodmould above it, terminating in well-carved female heads, with characteristic head-gear. Above the three (cinquefoiled) lights, a six-foiled circle forms the head of this window. On the site of the altar, now stands the ancient parish chest, bound with broad bands of iron, and having three fastenings. Its semi-circular lid is hollowed out of one tree's trunk. South of the east window a piscina remains, in the east wall, beneath a small ogee arch trefoiled.
   From the character of the east window, and of the piscina-niche, we may be inclined to believe that the altar here was that of a Perpetual Chantry, dedicated to the  Blessed Virgin and to St. Katherine, which was founded 

in Ickham Church, by John Dennis of Apulton. He was Sheriff of London in A.D. 1360. This chantry, being endowed in perpetuity, the office of chantry priest therein became a benefice, to which each successive priest was instituted by the Archbishop. Apulton, or Appleton, is an estate south of Bramling, in the south-east part of this parish.
   * On a flat stone, partly hidden by a pew, in the south transept: --- "Here lieth the body of Richard Austen .......... Baye at Ickham ......... county of Kent ......... who had ......... the second ........... M. Vincent ......... of Wymingwold .......... aforesaid ............ by whome .......... 5 sonnes ............ whereof ........... daughter ........... this life ye 19th of ............ aged 62, 164 . Here also in her father's grave lieth ............ Elizabeth eldest daughter of Richard ........... was the wife and widow of Michael .......... by whom she had issue 4 sonnes ........... of which 2 sonnes and 1 daughter ............. living at hir death. Shee was baptised .......... of May 1615 and shee died Aprill ........... 'Oh that they were wise, oh that they would .......... that they would consider their ....... ' "
On a flat stone, in the south aisle: --- "Heere lyeth the body of Robert Austen, son of Richard Austen, late of Ickham, at the Bay; who died a batchelor the 12th of October in ye yeare 1652, of his age 21 yeares."
   The patronage was vested in "John Denys of Ikham" during the first quarter of the fifteenth century. To the office of chaplain, to serve at the altar

Page  120   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk