KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 119
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

lights, having in its head a St. George's Cross inscribed in a circle. Beneath the window, on the exterior, runs a string-course, somewhat like a roll moulding; but it and the window are of a style verging closely upon the Perpendicular or Third Pointed style. A similar window appears in the south wall of this transept, and beneath it stands the tomb of a knight, whose effigy represents him without a shield, but wearing a full suit of armour, of about the middle of the fourteenth century. His head rests on two cushions, and at the junction between his bascinet, and the camail of chain mail, a scalloped band of lappets appears; upon his breastplate are two ornamental bosses; the coutes, or elbow-pieces, are shaped like lions' heads. Below the scalloped edge of his jupon, appears the bottom of the hawberk of chain mail. His legs seem to be enveloped in plate mail, and the genouillieres and handsomely floriated. The sollerets are pointed, and the feet rest upon a dog or lion. The swordbelt lies straight across the hips.
    The front of this altar tomb is ornamented with a band of many quatrefoiled lozenges, well moulded. Over the tomb 

there is a crocketed canopy, above a doubly cusped, seven-foiled arch, which is flanked by buttresses with crocketed finials. The name of the knight is not known, but it has been conjectured that the effigy may represent Thomas De Baa, * whose name, written under his coat of arms (Or, a lion rampant sable, crowned argent), was formerly to be seen in one of the windows of this church. As a chapel in Ickham Church was dedicated to St. Thomas, we may suggest that St. Thomas's altar stood in the south transept. A Piscina-arch remains in its east wall. This transept became the property of Archbishop Warham, when he purchased the Bay estate in 1509. He bequeathed Bay to his youngest brother Hugh; whose daughter Agnes Warham received it as her dowry when she married the Lord Deputy of Ireland, Sir Anthony St. Leger. It soon passed into the possession of the family of Austen several generations of whom dwelt
   * In 1305 Walter de Ba, one of the same family, was admitted to the privileges of a layman "in fraternity" with the monks of Christ Church, Canterbury (Harleian MS. 2044, fol. 62a).

Page  119   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk