Head (who built the existing house, called Hermitage
in Higham, and died in 1768); and of Archdeacon Sir John Head, who was
Rector of Ickham from 1760 to 1769, and Archdeacon of Canterbury from
1748 to 1769. These baronets were brought into connection with Ickham by
the marriage of their widowed grandmother, Mrs. Sarah Head, with Sir
Paul Barrett of Canterbury, who purchased the Lee estate in this parish.
At Lee she brought up the six young children left by her first husband,
Mr. Francis Head of
Rochester; and she was buried here in 1711.
The Parish Register contains a list of eighty-eight
inhabitants of Ickham who in March 1670-1 contributed £5 18s. 3d.
towards a fund for the redemption of Englishmen captured and reduced to
slavery by the Turks. The rector, Dr. Meric Casaubon, and the Lady
Boys,* head the
* Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Fotherby, widow first
of Sir Nathaniel Finch, and then of Sir John Boys, son of Edward