a rector named Martin de Hampton.* He was
instituted to this benefice in January 1285 (modern style), and was
inducted to it by Richard, Rector of Adisham (Archbishop Peckham's Register,
folio 30a). He was a canon and prebendary of Wingham; and he died in
November 1306. A graceful floriated cross, in brass, adorned this stone.
The inscription, in Lombardic capitals, can still be deciphered.
Two other rectors were probably commemorated by slabs yet
remaining, which bear each the matrix of a brass that represented the
small effigy of a priest. They appear to belong to the fifteenth
Another large slab commemorates Sir Richard Head, Baronet,
who died in 1721, at the early age of twenty-seven. It likewise mentions
his brothers George and Henry, and his sisters Sarah and Margaret, who
lie beside him.†
Beneath this stone there is a large vault about
thirteen feet long, and nine feet wide, which contains at least eighteen
coffins. When it was opened in July 1767, for the burial of the Rev. Dr.
Geekie, ‡ sixteen coffins were already there; his brother-in-law
Archdeacon Sir John Head was interred in it two years later. Sir Richard
Head, whose family sprung from the city of Rochester, § was the elder
brother of Sir Francis
* Orate pro anima Martini de Hamptona
quondam rectoris huius ecclesiæ et Prebendarii de Wengham cuius corpus
hic requiecit et [?] obiit iiii kl' Decembris Anno dni. MCCCVI.
† Corpus Ricardi Head baronetti filii natu maximi
Francisci Head barti et Margarettæ uxoris suæ subtus depositum jacet.
Obiit decimo octavo die Maii vicesimo septimo anno ætatis Annoque
‡ The Rev. William Geekie, D.D., was Archdeacon of
Gloucester 1738-67, and held the first Prebend at Canterbury 1731-67.