KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 115
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

expense. A new font was given by Mrs. Howley, the Archbishop's wife; and Mr. George Gipps substituted a raised platform with seats for children, singers, and others, instead of the western gallery, in 1846. The new pulpit (designed by Mr. Blomfield, architect), and the handsome new eagle lectern, of brass, were presented to the church by Mr. S. Musgrave Hilton at a cost of 150, in 1875.

THE HIGH CHANCEL.
   The lofty and spacious chancel has, in its east wall, a triplet of noble lancets; united by a small continuous hood moulding. Of the five windows which pierce each of its side walls, the westernmost, on either side, is of two lancet lights, surmounted by a simple quatrefoil. All the others are plain lancets, somewhat broad. Beneath the whole of these, both on the exterior and on the interior, runs a continuous stringcourse, which entirely embraces the chancel walls. It makes two rectangular descents in its course from east to west; and a deeper descent, beneath the first lancet from the east; and a deeper descent, beneath the two-light westernmost window in each wall. The interior 

string-course has a deeply cut hollow, surmounted by a bold circular moulding. The exterior string has three flat surfaces, the face is vertical, and from it the other sides slope, (one upward, and the other downward,) to meet the wall.
   The piscina in the south wall has two basins, beneath a well-moulded and boldly trefoiled arch, which sprang from circular detached shafts, but they are gone. The priest's door, in the middle of the south wall, opens beneath the stringcourse and is of simple character. The roof, ceiled between the rafters, has been very recently opened by the rector, the Rev. E. Gilder, who caused the ceiling to be removed; it had been similar to that now in the nave. Remnants of two stall-elbows, now used to support seats, shew that in the fifteenth century this chancel was fitted with stalls. They were eighteen in number; and they remained here until the beginning of the last century, but they had disappeared before 1759. In the chancel floor is a tombstone, long ago robbed of its brass, commemorating

Page  115   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk