KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 114
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

but in 1825, being in a dangerous state, it was pulled down; and the top of the tower was embattled, and roofed with lead. The cost of this, amounting to 155, was defrayed by a church rate of 1s. 6d. in the pound. At Archbishop Warham's visitation, held in 1511, it was "presented" that the body of this church and the bells needed repair. Probably the bells were not thoroughly repaired until one hundred and thirty years later. The four bells which now hang in the tower were all cast in 1641, by John Palmer of Canterbury; when the churchwardens were John Fayerman and Michael Trapps. Their names appear upon each bell; and upon the largest there is also this ejaculatory prayer: 
  "LORD: JESUS: CHRIST: RE: SEVE: EACH: SOL:
   FOR: HOME: THIS: BELL: SHAL: TOL:"

THE NAVE.
   The nave is separated from its aisles by arcades of four bays each, unequally spaced. No columns were introduced; but portions of the original outer walls were left, as piers, to support the pointed arches which were pierced through 

them. spaced arches, proves that these aisles were added late in the twelfth century. One of the arches, on the north side, is nearly or quite a semicircle, and its edge is formed into a small round moulding. The angles of the piers of the southern arcade seem to have been chamfered at a much later period; as the chamfer-stop used upon them is of a pattern known as the small "Perpendicular dagger," which did not come into general use until the fifteenth century. The arches by which the transepts open to the nave are similar to those in the nave arcades. Probably the transepts were not added until late in the fourteenth century, and the nave aisles were originally of five bays each, when there were no transepts.
   Much has been done in the nave during the present century. A gallery was built in 1841, when the pewing of the two transepts was rearranged. Extensive repairs were carried out in 1845-6, under the superintendence of Mr. Marshall, an architect in Canterbury, at a cost of 1167. One of the churchwardens defrayed three-fourths of that

Page  114   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page       

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk