KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 113
                      ICKHAM CHURCH, ITS MONUMENTS AND ITS RECORDS By the Rev  Scott Robinson Continued

This cruciform church (with a western tower) is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, and seems to have been founded during the Norman period. Its aisles were added towards the close of the twelfth century; the chancel assumed its present form during the thirteenth century; and chantries were founded in its transepts late in the fourteenth century, when the well-sculptured effigies of a knight and a priest were deposited in the south and north transepts respectively. It is remarkable that so handsome a church, only five miles from Canterbury, was overlooked by Sir Stephen Glynne; merely mentioned, without any description, by the Rev. A. Hussey; and passed without any notice by the Rev. Philip Parsons, in his Monuments in One Hundred Churches of East Kent, 1794. Murray's Handbook of Kent also omits to mention Ickham.

THE TOWER AND BELLS.
   A church existed here in A.D. 1086, when the Domesday survey was taken; but of Norman architecture the western doorway of the tower is the only discernible relic; and it can scarcely be considered to be of earlier date than the twelfth century. It has small angle shafts, and its arch is carved with an embattled moulding, surmounted by the billet. The tower itself seems to have been reconstructed (when aisles were added to the nave) about the end of the twelfth century. It has neither stair-turret nor buttresses; its windows are of lancet shape, and its eastern arch is pointed. The clock and the shingled spire, which cost 534, were added in 1870, at the expense of Mr. S. Musgrave Hilton, of Bramling. Sixty years ago, there was a very small spire on the tower;

Page  113   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

                            Back to Page Listings       Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk