and one over the chancel. That may account for the
hole which we observe in the beam over the chancel arch, through which
the rope for ringing the sanctus bell probably passed. There are six
bells in the present peal; the second bell is thus inscribed, "Vox
Agustini sonet in aure Dei." The others were cast by W. and P.
Mears, in 1786, 1787 (two), 1788, and 1795.
It appears that many of the churches in this neighbourhood
were destroyed, or injured by fire. The Vicar of Stone informs me that
when this church was restored, in laying down the chancel pavement,
pieces of molten lead were found, affording proof that the church also
suffered from fire about the seventeenth century. Pieces of the molten
lead are still preserved.
The Roman altar, which is in the vicarage garden, was
removed from the church and made a horse block, by which means it was
much defaced and cracked asunder; but Mr. Gostling, who was Vicar from
1753 to 1777, had it repaired and placed it upright in the vicarage
garden. The altar is of stone, with a basin hollowed in the top, and the
figure of an ox carved on the four sides; one side is now
tolerably perfect, the others are much defaced. The
iron ring at the foot of the altar is supposed to have been used for
securing thereto the victims for sacrifice.
CHURCH OF STONE IN OXNEY.
A Monument in the North Chapel against the East Wall has this
In Memory of John Cooper late of this Parish who died 10
Dec. 1790 aged 56 years, also of Ann his wife who died 11 May 1771 aged
31 years, likewise of Hannah his second wife who died 6 Sept. 1791 aged
44 years. This monument was erected as a tribute of respect by his three
On a flat stone.
Here lyeth the body of Mr. Stephen Tighe son of Mr. Robert
Tighe of this parish who departed this life Jan. 7, 1733, in the 50 year
of his age, who left issue one daughter.