KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 100
                                                       THE CHURCH OF STONE IN OXNEY By the Rev E. M. Muriel   Continued

   Thomasand Lydia his wife did penance 21 June 1634.
   John Tomas                         did penance 14 Dec. 1634.
   Thomas Young & Amy his wife 
                                              did penance 19 June 1636.
   John Nunnington & Margaret his wife 
                                              did penance 19 June 1636.
   I may mention that the two latest instances of public penances in England occurred at Bristol in 1812, and Ditton, Cambridgeshire, in 1849.
   "Oliver Fidge and three others, of Wittersham Oxney, weare drowned Oct. 21, 1633, in the watry marishes betweene Peasmarsh and Wittersham; Knell dam breaking, and the waters overflowing all the marishes very deepe, even to the channel.
   "Testis Thos. Martin tunc Vic. de Stone, cum multis aliis."
   "Mem.: That on June 10, 1720, at an Archiepiscopal Visitation, then holden at Ashford by the most Rev. Father in God, Dr. W. Wake, Lord Archbishop of Canterbury, sixty-four persons and upwards, inhabitants of this Parish, were confirmed by the Rev. Father in God, Dr. Wynn, 

Lord Bishop of St. Asaph; the Rev. Culpeper Savage, Vicar; and the same year the treble bell was new cast."
   "Men.: That the gallery at the west end of the Church was erected by the unanimous consent and at the charge of the Parish, in the year of our Lord 1721. *
"Robert Beale and Richard Emery, Ch. Wardens."
   "The week before Aistor (Easter), 1699, Stone Church was robbed of a good new surplice, and a good new Communion purple table cloth, and ye silver cup and cover, also ye linnen table cloth and napkin." This was probably one of the weightiest chalices in the county, weighing over thirty-one ounces; one larger is mentioned in the Inventory of Church Goods, at Holy Cross, Canterbury, which weighed thirty-four ounces and three-quarters. In Archaeologia Cantiana, XI, p. 415, an inventory of the parish church goods of Stone mentions that there were five bells in the steeple,
  * Now pulled down.
   Inventories of Parish Goods in Kent, 1552. A very interesting Paper, by Canon Scott Robertson, in Vol. VIII, p. 88, of Archaeologia Cantiana.

Page  100   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk