KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 58
                                                     
THE EARLY HISTORY OF TENTERDEN. By Robert Furley, F.S.A.   Continued

The Corporation minute book, when recording the visit of Queen Elizabeth at Bartholomew-tide in 1571-2 to Rye, Hempsted, and Sissinghurst, makes no mention of Tenterden. Her Majesty visited the Weald on two or three occasions, since which time royal visits here have been few and far between.
   At the outbreak of the Civil War, a landing of the supporters of Charles I took place at Rye (A.D.1642), and orders were issued by the Parliament to intercept and seize the horses of all "malignants" that might be found in the neighbourhood; but the great Kentish rising did not take place until 1648.
   The surveys of Crown lands, and possessions of the Church, which were ordered by the Commonwealth to be made with a view to a sale, included "the Seven Hundreds" (now the property of Viscount Cranbrook), and the rectory of Tenterden, let on lease to Sir Edward Hales, Bart. Amongst the royalists whose estates at Tenterden were sequestered, and who were heavily mulct for their loyalty, were those of the Colepepers, the Guldefords, the Argalls, Sir Peter Richards, and Sir Robert Pointz.

   The manors of Morgue and Godden were still held together, and had passed from an Essex family named Argall (who held at this time Kenchill) to Sir John Colepeper. The Parliamentary Commissioners sold Sir John's interest in Morgue and Godden to his relative Sir Cheney Colepeper, and an interest attaches to the notice in these Parliamentary papers of a breach of the sea, whereby 156 acres of the Morgue lands were returned as "drowned lands," since the breaking in of the sea in Wittersham level; and that in four years (1644 to 1648) the water scots in the Morgue and Gatesden lands amounted to 1025, and there was but little hope of their returning to their former value, without great care and expense. The Parliamentary Commissioners, however, declined to make any allowance for these heavy scots, and the fine was assessed at 200.
   Within two months of the restoration of Charles II (19 March, 1660) Tenterden Court Hall was burnt down, and the Corporation chest with its charters and ancient documents

Page  58   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk