KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 29
                                                                   
SMARDEN CHURCH By the Rev  Francis  Haslewood     Continued

ornament round the font terminates in a trefoil, emblematic of the Trinity, which, with the space within the nimbi that surround the heads of the figures, is of a green colour. The rich blue and general workmanship leads us to suppose it was made at the celebrated works of Limoges. In the museum of Cluny, at Paris, are some elaborate shrines, of the thirteenth century, which were manufactured at Limoges. Some of the enamelled plates are similar to this at Smarden, even to the minute bordering; suggesting that they probably came from the same manufactory, and were, perhaps, the work of the same hands. The hole for money, which is by no means unusual in shrines, most likely suggested the idea of placing this plate upon the Alms Box here.



Grotesque head, on north wall of Nave

Page  29   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk