KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 24
                                                                   
SMARDEN CHURCH By the Rev  Francis  Haslewood     Continued



Sedilla, Piscina, ow-side-Windon & Perfusorium

   The masonry over the sedilia has an unfinished appearance, and as some embattled stones were discovered in the sepulchre when opened, possibly they originally formed part of the sedilia, which, if so, must have resembled those at Willesborough.
A little to the right of sedilia is a circular stone bracket, and another on the opposite wall to correspond. They may have been intended for lamps or images.

THE DOG WHIPPER.
   Perhaps the Altar Rails were made of their present height, and so enclosed, to exclude the canine race; which in olden time must have been very numerous (no dog tax being imposed till 1796), for in the church book are frequent references to an official known as a dog whipper; thus:

Page  24   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk