KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 19
                                                                   
SMARDEN CHURCH By the Rev  Francis  Haslewood     Continued

with shingles, was ceiled in about a hundred years ago and remained concealed till the plaster was removed and the timbers again exposed to view in 1869, when the whole fabric underwent thorough restoration.
   The style of architecture points to the Edwardian or Decorated period, and indicates thirteenth or fourteenth century work. Though traces of an earlier period do not appear, there must have been a church prior to that date, for though Smarden is not mentioned in Domesday, yet we find King John presented one Adam of Essex to the vacant benefice in 1205; and there is another early reference to the church, when a certain Allan de Radingate, having been guilty of theft, fled hither for sanctuary, in 1250.*
   When noting the various objects of antiquarian interest, found within the sacred edifice, let us begin
   * Furley, Hist. of the Weald of Kent, ii., 33.


Smarden Church: before restoration

Page  19   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk