KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  pages 18

SMARDEN CHURCH

By the Rev  Francis  Haslewood

SMARDEN CHURCH consists only of a nave and chancel, with north and south porches, and a square embattled tower at the west end, of three stories divided by strings, having large buttresses, and an octagonal stair turret, at the N.E., rising above the parapet.
   It is dedicated to St. Michael, and popularly known as "The Barn of Kent," on account of the singular construction of its roof; the nave being thirty-six feet wide, without any side-aisles, and with no tie-beams to support it. Perhaps there is no building, of equal size, like it in the county; with the exception of some remains of the ancient Abbey of Boxley, near Maidstone, now used as a barn. The roof, formerly covered


Smarden Church: after restoration

Page  18   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

                            Back to Page Listings       Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk