KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 14 -1882  page 6
                                            
THE FAMILY OF GUILDEFORD By the Rev. Canon R. C. Jenkins   Continued

1685, is believed to have become entirely extinct in the early part of the last century.
   I must now ask you to concentrate your attention upon the elder branch, which was seated at Halden; that of Sir Edward Guldeford whose monument (we trust an imperishable one) is the south chapel of the present Church of Rolvenden, which he founded on April 14th, 1444. He married Eleanor, the daughter of Thomas Lord Delawarr, and had issue an only son, Sir Richard, who died in Spain childless; and here, as a passing observation, we may note the early connection of the family with Spain, which was begun by the half-brother of Sir Edward Guldeford, Sir Henry, who was created a Knight of the Garter, and distinguished himself in the wars of King Ferdinand of Spain against the Moors, being present at the taking of Grenada. For this service, he received from that monarch a 

picturesque addition to the arms of the family, in the form of a canton charged with the pomegranate (the apple of Grenada), which, as it was borne by his collateral descendants, was apparently given to his family as well as to himself. He died without issue in the 23rd year of Henry VIII. This intimate connection with the Spanish Court was, as we shall see hereafter, not unfruitful in its results to the family in the day of trial and misfortune. We revert, from this passing digression, to the family of Sir Edward, the elder half-brother of the Spanish crusader (if we may so term him), and our eye falls first upon that member of the family which forms the central point of interest and attraction, in its long and chequered history. The Lady Jane Guldeford, who became the heiress of her brother Sir Richard, was early married to one whose political intrigues and

Page  6   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society March 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk