stock. From the evidence of the animal bones
in the pit, which include a higher than usual percentage of
skull fragments and few large long bones, it might be suggested
that these were produced during butchery of animals at an
outlying farmstead in preparation for taking the meat either
back to Otford or to other settlements nearby.
A copy of the watching brief report is with Kent
County Council and another has been deposited at the Otford
Heritage Centre: the finds are retained by the householder.
MAUREEN BENNELL AND DARYL STUMP
1 The ‘Progress’ villa was
originally excavated in 1927-8 by B.W. Pearce who considered
that the first/second-century house burnt down and was abandoned
and that the courtyard and cellar were used later as an ‘animal
refuge’. However, it appears the house was rebuilt as
fourth-century material was found with wall plaster painted in
sophisticated designs. Trial trenching to confirm the location
of the villa was carried out by Brian Philp in 1971.
2 The existing remains are of the
palace (later appropriated by Henry VIII) built by Archbishop
Warham (1503-33), traditionally over or near the manor house
built by Becket. Parts of fourteenth-century walls and ditches
have been revealed by excavation.
3 The globular urn found in 1954 was
dated stylistically to the mid-sixth century and is
stamp-decorated with three-line chevrons. The second urn,
discovered in 2001, is similar but not identical.
4 Garmonsway, G.N., 1986, trans. and
ed., The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Dent. The entry
reads, ‘in this year (AD 766) a red cross appeared in the sky
after sunset. This same year the Mercians and the Kentishmen
fought at Otford; and strange adders were seen in Sussex’. The
ninth-century land grants were made by King Coelwulf.
5 Philp, B., 1973, Excavations in
West Kent 1960-1970, KARU.
6 Ibid. Philp considers that the
cemetery, on a ridge in full view of Otford, served that
settlement. The suggestion that it served instead several small
hamlets or farmsteads is made in Clarke, D. and Stoyel, A.,
1975, Otford in Kent, a History, Otford and District
7 Gelling, M., 1967, ‘English
Place-names derived from the compound wicham’, Medieval
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MINSTER-IN-THANET
As part of a scheme to replace Victorian
flooring and install new heating and lighting systems the Trust
for Thanet Archaeology undertook observations, survey and
limited excavations from August 2005 to April 2006 as work
progressed. This work revealed evidence of two brick-built
vaulted tombs (eighteenth-century) and details of the
construction of the nave. A detailed report on the results of
the work is in preparation.