BRONZE AND IRON AGE OCCUPATION: HARTSDOWN
An extensive programme of evaluation and
excavation was carried out on this football ground site by the
Trust for Thanet archaeology between May and October 2003 in
advance of the construction of new stands and the re-siting and
levelling of a new pitch. The site was initially evaluated by
excavating two long trenches from opposing corners along the
long axis of the existing pitch to establish the depth of the
archaeological horizon. The site was then stripped and mapped in
the areas of the site predicted to be affected by the levelling
of the pitch, associated drainage and the first stage of
construction of the new stands on the eastern side of the site.
The strip and map process was followed by
excavation which revealed extensive archaeological occupation on
the site extending from the Late Bronze Age to the Roman Period.
The earliest archaeological remains on the site included a
possible Deverel Rimbury Middle Bronze Age period enclosure
ditch which contained a disarticulated skull in the western area
of the site. Other archaeological remains included a
concentration of at least twenty Late Iron Age storage pits
containing concentrations of pottery, animal bone and other
finds, Late Iron Age quarry pits and thirteen inhumations of
Late Iron Age to early Roman date. Also present on the site was
evidence of a linear trackway with ditches either side dating to
the Roman period. Unfortunately due to the collapse of the
project no funds were made available to carry out
post-excavation work on this important site.
LATE IRON AGE/EARLY ROMAN PERIOD FEATURES:
SEACROFT ROAD, BROADSTAIRS
In late August 2005 an archaeological
evaluation and excavation were carried out by the Trust for
Thanet Archaeology on land formerly part of the garden of 1
Seacroft Road, Broadstairs (TR 39462 66415) in advance of the
construction of a detached building containing three flats with
associated parking. The development was commissioned and funded
by Squires Construction.
The site occupies a small area within a large
suburban housing estate overlooking the clifftop at Dumpton Gap.
Much of the area was developed in the 1970s with minimal
archaeological input; however, a small area of the estate which
was developed in 1907-1908 had its archaeological features
identified and recorded by Howard Hurd (1914). The site was
located within the area partly recorded by Hurd.