KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana - Vol. 127   2007 page 424

Researches and Discoveries in Kent

   The full circuit of a circular ring-ditch was exposed initially in Trench 5 and further traced in trenches 11-15. The internal dimensions of the ring-ditch measured approximately 24.7m N-S and 24.2m E-W. At the time of the evaluation it was not known whether the ring-ditch contained a central burial. The siting of the ring-ditch in this location afforded a clear view of the sea and surrounding chalk hillsides overlooking Dumpton Gap.
   The ring-ditch and its probable mound would have represented a significant feature in the landscape. The location of Bronze Age barrows on the ridges of chalk promontories has been demonstrated at Dumpton Gap, North Foreland and other topographically similar sites on Thanet and it is most likely that further ring-ditches and barrows may be located on this promontory. A topographic survey of the playing field revealed that the ring-ditch was located in the terminal at the upper limit of a small valley. Examination of the contours relating to the earlier excavations at Valetta House/Bradstow School where the remains of up to three further barrows were found suggest that a similar micro-topographic feature could exist (Hurd 1913).
   The barrow group north of the site was the focus of the rich Saxon cemetery excavated by Howard Hurd in 1910-1911. It does not appear from the evaluation that the barrow revealed by these excavations was itself the focus of burials in the Saxon period.
   Subsequent excavations carried out on the site by Archaeology South-East established that the ring-ditch included a causeway and may once have contained a central burial. A smaller Bronze Age barrow a few metres to the north containing at least five burials, a group of pits and postholes and a single Anglo-Saxon burial were also found during excavation on the site (Hart 2006).

Hart, D., 2006, ‘Excavations at Bradstow School, Broadstairs’, KAS Newsletter,
   no. 69, Summer 2006, 14-15.
Hurd, H., 1913, Some Notes on Recent Archaeological Discoveries at Broadstairs,
   Broadstairs and St Peter’s Archaeological Society Report.

GERALD MOODY

CLAY WOOD LANE, COBHAM: A BRONZE-AGE CULT SITE

In 1825, the men clearing a part of Clay Lane Wood [TQ 665 705], on the northern side of Watling Street, about a mile north-west of Cobham, came upon an enclosure seemingly surrounding a massive deposit of bones and bronzes (Ashbee 2005, 146). An account by Alfred John Dunkin (1812-1879), founder member of the Kent Archaeological Society, appeared in the Gentleman’s Magazine of 1846:

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   To Arch. Cant. List   To Publications On-line   To Research Page   To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society April 2012

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk