KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana - Vol. 127   2007 page 422

Researches and Discoveries in Kent

Medieval 1150-1500

Two broad but shallow linear gullies or shallow ditches, similar in form but not in alignment, represent the only other substantial evidence of a distinct phase of occupation in the Medieval period. Sherds from a single medieval Canterbury sandy ware jug decorated with two to three broad horizontal bands of incised wavy lines suggests that settlement was close by and the ceramics were derived from domestic waste rather than field manuring.

Post-Medieval


Post-Medieval material was found throughout the field surface in the plough soil. This indicates that the area has been in constant use from c.1625 to the nineteenth century.

No further work took place on the site.

Emma Boast

PREHISTORIC CROUCHED INHUMATIONS AND AN ANGLO-SAXON SUNKEN FEATURED BUILDING: ST PETERíS ROAD, MARGATE

In May/June 2005, the Trust for Thanet Archaeology undertook an archaeological excavation prior to the application for planning permission of the construction of staff accommodation on land adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital, St Peterís Road, Margate, Kent (TR 35995 69389). The excavation was commissioned and funded by Geoffrey Osborne Ltd on behalf of Osborne Housing Ltd.
   The earliest feature was a large elliptical pit backfilled with clean chalk. A grave with evidence of a structure, perhaps a coffin or timber lining was cut into the chalk fill of the pit. The grave contained a crouched inhumation accompanied by a comb-decorated Beaker vessel and three barbed and tanged arrow heads placed near the lower back of the burial.
   A second tightly crouched inhumation in a smaller grave, cutting the first burial was accompanied by a single barbed and tanged arrow head of lower quality than those with the earlier body. Sherds of further Beaker pottery vessels were recovered from the fills of both graves. A nearby pit, backfilled with soil containing worked flints possibly contemporary with the inhumations, indicated that this part of the site was the focus for activity for an extended period within the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age. No structures were found which indicated a raised monument or earthwork attracted the activity.
   A short length of ditch with a square terminal possibly dating from the

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   To Arch. Cant. List   To Publications On-line   To Research Page   To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society April 2012

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk