KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana - Vol. 126   2006 page 398

Researches and Discoveries

9  Philp, B., 1977, ‘Dartford Priory and Manor House’, Kent Archaeological Review, 47; Philp, B.
    and Garrod, D., 1977, ‘Rescue excavations continue at Dartford’, Kent Archaeological Review,
    49; Garrod, D., 1980, ‘Important find from Dartford’, Kent Archaeological Review, 61.
10  The project archive, including all primary records, client reports and post-excavation assessment 
      is expected to be curated by Dartford Borough Museum, where it may be consulted by prior
      arrangement.
11  Gilchrist, R., 1994, Gender and material culture: the archaeology of religious women, London,
      64-6.
12  Clapham’s suggestion (op. cit., see note 6, 76-8) that the Dartford church lacked a nave and may
      have projected from the east side of the cloister, in the position usually occupied by the Chapter
      House, now seems less likely. However given the lack of knowledge about the KARU
      excavations, it remains possible (see also Gilchrist, R., 1995, Contemplation and action: the
      other monasticism,
LUP, London, 134-6). The degree to which the late urban foundations of
      established orders might diverge from earlier ‘standard’ plans has been shown for example at
      St Mary Graces, London (Grainger, I., Hawkins, D., and Mills, P., in prep, Excavations at the
      abbey of St Mary Graces, East Smithfield, London
, MoLAS Monograph Series; Coppack, G.,
      1998, The White Monks. The Cistercians in Britain 1128-1540, Stroud, Tempus, 83-4, fig 47).
13  Gilchrist (op. cit., see note 11, 97).
14  Clapham (op. cit., see note 6, 79-80).

 

AN EARLY TUDOR KILN AT LAMB’S CROSS, CHART SUTTON

The purpose of this short note is to place on record the existence of a previously unknown kiln, discovered in 1991. In his study of Medieval and Later Ceramic Production and Distribution in South-East England,1 Dr Anthony Streeten included as his Group Liii the pottery from the Hareplain Kiln, Biddenden, and its products found, among other places, at Chart Sutton and Bayham Abbey.2 The Chart Sutton sherds were found by Mr Scott-Moncreif of Brookside in his garden (TQ 791 483 ) and given by him to Maidstone Museum.
   Towards the end of 1991 Mr Brian Mitchell brought some coins and pottery sherds to Maidstone Museum for identification, among the sherds a familiar looking bunghole from the base of one of the large jugs which, with bowls and dishes, were the main products at Hareplain. Mr Mitchell later brought to the Museum other sherds which appeared to be from pots of Hareplain type and fabric and two fragments of a clay kiln cover like those found in the pit north-west of the Hareplain Kiln.3 One of the sherds was a waster.
   Streeten has discussed the factors governing the location of remote sixteenth-century kilns like Hareplain.4 Apart from the essential raw materials, clay, water and fuel, two important considerations were the availability of land, the potters being relatively poor men, perhaps only working as such part time, and the propinquity of customers. He

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   To Arch. Cant. List   To Publications On-line   To Research Page   To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society February 2012

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk