15 Personal communication from
Commander Page. The ‘shallow water tide’ is the distortion
oceanic tide due to the influence
of terrestrial conditions (such as bottom friction) associated
with shallow water in the
continental shelf margins. Commander Page advises that there is
explanation of the ‘shallow water tide’ given in the Admiralty
Manual of Tides (NP 120).
16 Personal communication from Commander Page.
17 Seán McGrail, 1987, Ancient Boats in N.
W. Europe: The Archaeology of Water Transport to
AD 1500 (London and New
18 A quartering wind is one blowing some 45º
one side or the other of directly astern.
EXCAVATIONS AT THE ANGLO-SAXON CEMETERY SITE
AT GUILTON MILL, ASH-NEXT-SANDWICH
In connection with plans for the construction
of a substantial new extension to Guilton Mill (now a private
residence), the Dover Archaeological Group was invited to
undertake excavations in the garden, ahead of the building work.
The site was of particular archaeological interest as it lay
within the area of the well-known early Anglo-Saxon cemetery
(Faussett 1856; Meaney 1964, 121-2), now scheduled as an Ancient
Monument (Kent No. 161). The site lies at the top of a
south-east facing slope, overlooking the valley of the Durlock
Stream, at an elevation of about 23m above OD. NGR TR 2816 5818
(see Hone 1987, fig. 16 for a location map). The natural subsoil
here consists of Thanet Beds sand, which in this area has been
dug for building material since at least the eighteenth century.
The archaeological work was undertaken in extreme summer heat
over a five-day period during July and August 2003 (Parfitt
2003). Thanks are due to the owners, Mr and Mrs Kaushal, for
allowing access and providing essential refreshments.
Examination indicated that there had previously
been extensive terracing of the area to be built across, when
the surface of the natural subsoil had been lowered by between
0.10 and 0.15m. This was perhaps connected with the construction
of a rear extension to the mill in the 1970s. Indeed, an
Anglo-Saxon grave containing beads and an unusual disc brooch
had been previously recorded very close to the present area
during the building of a porch on the south side of the mill in
1973 (Avent 1975, Corpus no. 192; plate 78). The area
investigated in 2003 was L-shaped in plan and lay immediately to
the south and west of the extant building. Its maximum
dimensions were 13.80m (N-S) by 7.20 m (E-W). Of this area, a
portion on the west side, measuring 9.30m (N-S) by 4.00m (E-W)
was excavated under controlled archaeological conditions, the
remainder being inspected during a subsequent watching-brief of
the building work.
In addition to several modern pits and service
trenches, the work