KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 10  1876  page 178

Remains of Roman Internments from East Hill, near Sittingbourne

By George Payne, jun

While making excavations for brick-earth in a field on the East Hall estate, at Murston, near Sittingbourne, in December, 1871, the workmen came upon several vessels of Roman pottery. The site of the discovery is 800 yards south-east of Murston old church, 600 yards from East Hall House, and about half-a-mile north of the main line of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway.
   The greater portion of the specimens found were of Upchurch ware, and of great variety in shape and pattern. With the exception of two bronze fibula, the relics consisted entirely of pottery, and were deposited nearly in 

 a line from north to south. From their position they fall under two groups. The southernmost group consisted of eight vessels of pottery, two fibula, and two earthen beads. The second group likewise comprised eight vessels of pottery.
   The vessels the southernmost group are nearly all of small dimensions—one of them is an urn of yellow ware (1), 8 inches in height, 2 3/4 in diameter at its base, and 4 inches at its mouth; it bears a slight ornament. Close to this were the two fibula, and a dish of Samian ware (2), containing a small black urn (3). On the other side of the large urn,

Page 178

                             Back to Page listings       Next page

Back the Contents page        To Arch. Cant. List     To Publications On-line     To Research Page     To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2002

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received
so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk