KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 5  1863  page 312

  ACCOUNT OF THE SOCIETY'S RESEARCHES IN THE SAXON CEMETERY AT SARR (SARRE)
By JOHN BRENT, JUN., F.S.A.  continued

At the head was a glass vessel of delicate material (Plate III.). By the left side lay a large knife, much resembling one found in the grave by the Windmill, in 1860, which for some time was considered a sword; and near it a smaller knife, of the size and shape commonly found in these graves, but surrounded by the remains of a sheath, and having the blade ornamented  with a small crosswise diapered pattern. Two iron keys were near, the suspending ring to one of which is bronze, that to the other of iron; and a pair of shears,


Iron Keys (half-size). Shears (half-size).

Page 312  (This page prepared for the Website by Christine Pantrey)             

Previous page    Back to Page and Plate listings   Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page     Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society 2002

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk