KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 3  1860  page 40

On Anglo-Saxon Remains Discovered Recently in various Places in Kent continued

intaglio, and a Saxon or Frankish circular ornament set with garnets, in the burial-ground attached to the ancient church of St. Martin, at Canterbury, may be considered as forming part of a funereal deposit. Some of the coins are Merovingian: one is of Justin, who died A.D. 527; and one, unique and of good workmanship, of Eupardus, Bishop of Autun, of about the middle of the sixth century. The church of St. Martin, without the walls of Canterbury, is mentioned in charters of Ethelbert, A.D. 605 (Cod. Dip. AEvi Saxon. ii. and iii.); and also by Bede, who states it was a Roman building, and that in it Bertha, the wife of Ethelbert, a Christian convert, used to worship; and Augustine and his companions also. It is most probable that, from their costly nature, these ornaments belonged to some lady of the royal family or court, and were interred with her.2 Gold coins of Mauricius and of Heraclius, mounted in crosses of gold set with garnets, have been found in Norfolk; but no crosses such as these have as yet been recorded as discovered in

Saxon graves: they are probably of somewhat later date than the ornaments under consideration. The coins found in the Frankish graves in France and Germany, do not assist us beyond the advances we have made hitherto in our investigations in England. The Abbé Cochet, to whom alone in all France we are most indebted for valuable materials from Frankish cemeteries in Normandy,3 cites comparatively few coins; and those chiefly of the Merovingian epoch, bearing names of towns and moneyers. The piece of Charlemagne found in the valley of the Eaulne, was not actually, it appears, taken from a grave, but from a 

1. They are now side by side with the Faussett Collection, in the Museum of Mr. Joseph Mayer, having been secured by the zeal and vigilance of the late Mr Rolfe, of Sandwich.
2. They are figured in the ‘Collectanea Antiqua,’ vol. i. pl. xxii. and lv.
3. ‘La Normandie Souterraine,’ second edition, 1855. Paris, London, and Oxford.

Page 40  (This page prepared for the Website by Christine Pantry)             

Previous page   Back to Page and Plate listings    Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2002

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk