Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
1. Of BREDE – on a Brass Plate, on a Flat Stone
– in 1444.
Index of Names and Places
2. Of ALAYN (ut videtur) on a Brass Plate on a Flat Stone – in 1473.
3. Of BOTTHALS (ut videtur) on a Brass Plate, on a Flat Stone – in 1505.
4. Of MEADMAN, GOULSONN, and GOLD, on a Brass Plate on a Flat Stone – in 1629.
5. Of Christopher BARLEY in 1605, on a Flat Stone in ye Chancel.
6. Of Edward GONESTON, Clerk, and Margaret, his Wife, on an Atcheiv’ment, at
ye South Side of ye Communion Table in 1686.
7. Of John TYLER, Commander of ye Ship, Anne and Grace, in 1702, on a flat
8. The Two following Atcheivements hang on Each Side of ye East Window of ye
Side Isle. [Az. a fess embattd. betw. 3 molets of 5 or. PARAMORE. This is ye
Arms of Paramore. PARAMORE imp. Gu. a ln. rt. gu. (sic), on a chief sa. 3
scallops or. (Note by B.F. re. the 1st coat, on 7b. I think they shd.
be estoils – B.F.).
9. On ye Back of ye King’s Arms, wch. bear Date 1692, are ye following
Escucheons painted. Az. a pall or (sic) with 4 crosses sa. imp. Sa. on a chevn.
arg. 2 crosses paty fitchy (Cant.ut supra) imp. Gu. a chevn. betw. 3 pears or.
Arch Bishop ABBOT. *I take this Coat to have been designed for that of Arch
Bishop LAUD; who bore, for his Paternal Arms, sable, on a chevron Or, between 3
Stars, as many Crosses Patée Fitchée, Gules.
10. Here is a very ancient carved and gilded Font, wch. was new painted in 1605,
as also a fine Piece of Wainscot Ceiling over ye Pulpit, neatly gilded, and
adorn’d with ye Arms of Arch Bishops, Etc.
11. Here are many more Flat Gravestones, wch. have been formerly adorn’d with
Brass, wch. is lost.
12. The Church is not large, but neat; and has a Tower Steeple, in wch. are 6
Musical *Bells, wch. were all new cast in ye Year 1730. *The Bells weigh in all
but 31c. 1q. 00l.
13. The Church is dedicated to All Saints. The Present Incumbent is ye Rev’d
Mr. …./ PATTIN 1756. Lord BOLINGBROKE is Lord of ye Mannor.
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 8th July 2008
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org