with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of
Westcliffe Church, Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1759
Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
In The Chancell.(this is in
St. Margtís psh.) She departed this Life 21
Aug. 1749 aged 37 Years. She left surviving 1 Son and 1 Daughter, viz: Kingsford
1. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth the Body of Thomasin AUSTEN, Widow of Nicholas
Austen, of Addisham, who departed this Life the 15th of Nov. 1702
aged 70 Years. Here also lieth the Body of Mary the Wife of Thomas UNDERDOWNE,
and Daughter of the abovesaid Nicholas and Thomasine Austin (sic), who departed
this Life the 8th of February 1732/3. Aged 76 Years.
2. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Thomas UNDERDOWNE late of the
Town and Port of Dover of which he was twice Mayor. He departed this Life Sept.
3 An.Dom. 1741 aged 72 Years.
3. One Ancient Flat Stone without Inscription.
In The Body.
4. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth interred the Body of John KINGSFORD the son of
Thomas Kingsford, Yeoman, of this Parish, and of Elisabeth his Wife, who
departed this Life the 21st Day of August 1715 aged 6 Years.
5. Here also lieth interred The Body of Thomas KINGSFORD Junr. who departed this
Life Dec. 10 1741 aged 24 Years.
6. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Thomas KINGSFORD, Senr. late of
this Parish. He died Aug. 20 1747 aged 70 Years. He left surviving Elisabeth,
his Wife, and Elisabeth his Daughter.
7. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Eliz. WOOD, Wife of Isaac Wood,
late of Wanston
8. Two Ancient Flat Stones without Inscription. 1 of them has been inlaid.
9. In The South Wall is an Arch, and under it a kind of Altar Tomb, without
10. This Church, which is very small, consists only of the Chancell & Body;
in a low wooden Spire (if it deserved that Name) over the South Door, hangs 1
small Bell without Inscription.
11. This Church was dedicated, as I think, to St. Peter (see P.186).
12. In The Church Yard is an Altar Tomb for Thos. KINGSFORD 1716. And an
Headstone for Thomas STOCK 1666.Index of Names and Places
KINGSFORD 4, 5, 6
UNDERDOWNE 1, 2
St Margaretís at Cliffe
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 8th July 2007
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com