The contents of field notebook
containing the continuation of St Johns the Baptist West Wickham
West of the church
1. A headstone. Mrs Jane Tosh died 23.5.1843 aged 63.
2. A headstone. Mary, wife of Henry Giles, died 29.8.1868 aged 73. Also the above Henry Giles died 13 April 1869 aged 80.
3. A pedestal with a flat cross. George Lyon Thomas, son of Henry and Eliza Thomas who died at Penge, Surrey, 17 February 1855 aged 27. Also Henry Thomas, father of the above, of Penge and 35, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, died at Penge 24.6.1859 aged 65. Also Eliza Thomas wife of the above died at Penge 12.1.1877 aged 83.
4. A cross. Sacred to the memory of Edward Stanley James, M.A., vicar of Letcombe Regis, Berks., who died at West Wickham July 24th 1868 aged 46. Also Frances Catherine wife of the above who died September 4 1887 aged 70 years.
5. A cross. Sacred to the memory of Sarah widow of the Revd. Edward James, canon of Winchester Cathedral and vicar of Alton, Hants., who died February 13th 1877 aged 79. Also of Arabella Matilda their youngest daughter who died September 2nd 1880 aged 46 years.
6. A headstone. Mr Edward Hutson of this parish died June 11 1792 aged 74.
7. A headstone. Mary Childs late of Down in Kent died 5.8.1847 aged 86. Also Thomas Chapman died August 15 1882 aged 68.
8. A large tomb within iron railings. On the South side. In the vault beneath repose the mortal remains of Harriett wife of Admiral Sir John West, K.C.B. A faithful wife, an affectionate mother, a true friend. She was born August 5th 1783 died March 11th 1858. On the North side. Here lie interred the remains of Admiral Sir John West, Knight Grand Cross of the most Honourable Order of the Bath and Admiral of the Fleet. Born July 28th 1774 died April 18th 1862. He was the son of Temple West, Esquire, a Lieutenant-Colonel, 1st Regiment of Guards, and representative of the family of the Wests. Formerly of the counties of Buckingham and Northampton to whom a tablet is inscribed in this church.
9. A headstone. Mr Richard Crittall of this parish died May 26 1863 aged 73. A fond husband and father. Also Mary Crowder Crittall wife of the above died January 29 1881 aged 81.
10. A headstone. Henry Lenton Crittall died suddenly March 15th 1855 aged 23.
11. A cross. Catherine, only child of Cornelius and Catherine Moffat died January 21 1871 aged 22.
12. A headstone. Lucy wife of Amos Sevenoakes died July 4 1880 at West Wickham aged 55. Also Amos Sevenoakes died February 18 1885 aged 62.
13. A headstone. Ann Holland died 17 December 1872 aged 58.
14. A headstone with cherub's face. Mary Goosey wife of Thomas Goosey of this parish died 2 December 1765 aged 26. Also Mary Goosey daughter of the above died ye 12 of December 1765 aged 1 month.
15. A headstone with skull, glass and snake. Isaac Jackson who died in the year 1733. Also Thomasin wife of the above died 5 May 1766 in her 78th year.
16. A white marble cross. Alice Emily, wife of James William Gladstone died March 1st 1887 aged 25 years.
17. A headstone. Mrs Sukey Small (spinster) born 24 November 1734 at Salisbury in Wiltshire. She enjoyed an uninterrupted series of good health and lived to the advanced age of 99 years and 7 months, much respected by all who knew her. She died in this parish 14 June 1834.
18. A headstone. Mrs Ann Humby daughter of Mr John Alexander of this parish died 10.3.1836 in her 28th year.
19. A headstone. Mrs Ann Alexander wife of John Alexander of this parish died 9.5.1837 aged 67. The above Mr John Alexander died 13 November 1845 in his 84th year.
20. A headstone in rails. John Anderson, Esquire, of this parish died May 9 1838 aged 68.
21. A white cross with "Home" thereon. Henry Thomas Butler, late Colonel of the 13th Hussars died 16 December 1881 aged 39 years. Thomas Butler, father of the above died 9 October 1893 aged 79. Emma Elizabeth, second wife of the above Thomas Butler and daughter of Admiral Bertie Cator died 2.5.1895 aged 82.
22. Frances Beake Rush ob. 9 February 1809 aet. 24.
22a. Katherine Jane Elizabeth, daughter of William and Jane Tyndale and niece to Frances Beake Rush, who like her died after a long and painful illness. Died 26 December 1816 aged 23.
23. A flat stone. Emily, daughter of the late Henry Seward, Esquire, formerly of Bromley, Kent, died 28 September 1868 aged 79. Also Charlotte, twin sister of the above and last surviving daughter of the said Henry Seward, Esq., died 16 January 1871 aged 81.
24. A flat stone. Henry Seward, Esquire, died 28 May 1793 aged 51. Charlotte his wife died April 9 1828 aged 75. Also Katherine wife of Henry Hake Seward, Esquire, (son of the above) died 28 February 1847 aged 67. Also above named Henry Hake Seward, Esq., died 19 January 1848 aged 69.
25. A very fine altar tomb:-
On top. To the memory of Richard Seward, Esquire, who
died 31st March 1764 aged 32. Samuel Beachcroft, Esquire, ob. 30 April 1796.
Also Elizabeth, widow of the above ob. 10 March 1803. Also Mary wife of
Thomas Beachcroft, Esq., died 4th May 1865 aged 46 years. Thomas Beachcroft,
Esq., eldest son of Thomas Seward Beachcroft, Esq., born 24th February 1800
died 22nd October 1878.
On the East end. Elizabeth, second wife and widow of Matthews Beachcroft Esquire died 30th January 1865 aged 82 years.
On the North side. A faculty for the vault underneath this tomb was granted to Samuel Beachcroft, Esq., 6th June 1764.
26. A flat stone. Thomas Seward Beachcroft, Esquire Obiit XV February MDCCCXIX Aetat XLIII. Also Charlotta, relict of the above obiit XXIV October MDCCCLVII aetat LXXVII. Also Robert Beachcroft, Esq., obiit XVII August MDCCCLVI aetat XLIV. Also Charles Beachcroft, Esq., obiit XXI October MDCCCLXVI aetat LII. Also Sarah Beachcroft died 6 August 1881 aetat 72.
27. A headstone. Joseph Asbury died May 10 1886 aged 59.
28. A headstone. Mabel wife of Richard Rhod Swann died 19.3.1885 aged 20.
29. A flat tomb. Mrs Frances Dunlop wife of Robert Buchanan Dunlop, Esquire died August 17 1833 aged 61. Also Robert Buchanan Dunlop, Esq., died January 13 1837 aged 80. Elizabeth Dunlop, daughter of Robert Buchanan Dunlop the eldest son of the above died December 17 1839 aged 2 months. Frances Harriet his 3rd daughter died December 29 1845 aged 17 years and 8 months. Emma wife of the last named Robert Buchanan Dunlop died March 16 1851 aged 36. James 2nd son of the first named Robert Buchanan Dunlop died December 20th 1859 aged 56 years.
30. A small cross. Michael Philip Ashcroft born July 9th died August 10 1884. 31. A headstone. Easter Wescoe died July 10 1790 aged 75. Erected by the family whose vault near unto adjoins in recognition of her faithful services for 31 years during which she attended 14 of their children from their infancy.
32. George eldest son of Major Basil Jackson and Frances his wife born November 12 1837 died December 2 1841.
33. An altar tomb in iron rails.
South side. In this vault / are deposited the remains of
/ Harriet Elizabeth Courtenay / only daughter of / William Courtenay,
Esquire, and Lady Harriet his wife / she was born May 31st 1809 and died
October 3rd 1826 / aged 17 years and 4 months. The modest virtues sweet
temper and steadiness of religious principle / which endeared her to all
those who knew and could appreciate her retiring character / and
particularly to her sorrowing parents and relations / gave the blessed
comforting assurance that the all merciful God / had prepared her at this
early age for her removal / to an happy eternity / Blessed are the pure in
heart for they shall see God / St Matthew Ch.5 v.8.
North side. Sacred to the memory of Harriet, Countess of Devon / daughter of Sir Lucas Pepys, Bt., and Jane Elizabeth, Countess of Rothes / and wife of William 10th Earl of Devon / born May 25th 1777 died December 16th 1839/.
To her, whose gentle and guileless character was loved and respected by all who knew her / whose mild and benevolent disposition made her as indulgent to the failings / as she was charitable to the wants of others (and often alas: to the sacrifice of her own health) / led her to spend her life in ministering to the happiness of those around her / who as a daughter dutiful and affectionate as a wife and mother tender devoted and self denying / exemplified in her daily conduct the graces of the Christian character / and whose humble piety and entire reliance on the merits of her Saviour / afford the confident hope of her acceptance through Him / to her this stone is inscribed by her sorrowing husband and children / in token of their thankfulness to God for the blessing of having belonged to her / and of their earnest hope and prayer that they may by His Grace be enabled so to benefit by / her example that they may through Christ become partakers of the same glorious inheritance in Heaven. She opened her mouth with wisdom and in her tongue is the law of kindness / Her children arise up and call her blessed her husband also and he praiseth her./ (Proverbs XXX 26.29) [sic should be 26,28] Her remains are deposited beneath this stone in the spot which she most loved on earth and hallowed by / her daily visits and prayers the resting place of the remains of a beloved daughter and infant son.
On the East side. Here also are deposited the remains of Edward Courtenay / the beloved infant of William Courtenay, Esq., and Lady Harriet his wife / he was born May 3rd 1813 and died January 16th 1814 aged 8 months and 13 days.
34. A pedestal and urn. Louisa Georgiana Roe only daughter of William Roe, Esquire, of Withdean in the County of Sussex, formerly Chairman of the Board of Customs. She died 2 March 1848 after a long and wearisome illness aged 65. Her remains are deposited here according to her wish next to those of a dearly beloved friend.
35. A grey granite cross. John Thomas Austen, B.D., 28 years rector of this parish born 11 June 1794 died 10 June 1876.
36. A white marble cross. Claude Lynnford Bicknell born XXIV October MDCCCLX died 1 July MDCCCLXXXII.
37. A white marble cross. Emma wife of Edward Cripper born March 17 1813 died July 14 1889. Also Edward Cripper her husband born August 28 1815 died Sunday March 8 1891. "To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die". At rest until the day break and the shadows flee away. Revisited 1st June 1919 - L.L.D.
38. A coped tomb with a foliated cross on top. Eliza Farnaby died A.D. 1861 aged 39 years. Charles Francis Farnaby died A.D. 1859 aged 31 years.
40. A marble cross. Maria Diana Cator, daughter of the late General Sir William Cator, K.C.B., born 20.5.1819 died 29.3.1892.
41. An altar tomb in rails covered with ivy. On the South side. John Percival, Esquire, late Senior Veterinary Surgeon, Royal Artillery at Woolwich died December 1830 aetat 62.
42. A headstone. Mrs Frances Lenton, wife of Mr Thomas Lenton of this parish died May 18 1833 aged 40. Also the above Mr Thomas Lenton died 23 November 1860 aged 61.
43. A headstone. Mrs Mary Crittall, wife of Mr Richard Crittall of this parish died March 30 1810 aged 53. Also Mr Richard Crittall, a native of Rotherfield in Sussex but for 67 years a much respected inhabitant of this parish died April 26 1845 aged 87.
44. A headstone. Mrs Rose Berrington died August 6 1822 aged 57. Also Mr Francis Berrington, farmer, and for many years churchwarden of this parish died 26.10.1834 aged 76.
45. A headstone. Frances, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Paget died June 7 1837 aged 8 years. Also Mrs Jane Crittall died January 26 1851 aged 93.
46. A headstone by yew bush. Mr John Percival died January 15 1801 aged 78. Also Mrs Eleanor Percival wife of the above died July 28 1811 aged 70.
47. A headstone. Mary Ann Percival died October 12 180(?2) aged 25. Mr Jonas Percival died May 20 1811 aged 32 years. Also Eleanor Percival died .... 1804 aged 10 years.
48. A headstone. Richard Paget of Guildford died 14.12.1879 aged 42.
49. A headstone. John Churcher of Wickham Court Farm in this parish died at Torbay January 7 1810 aged 30. Also Mary Eaton, widow of the above died April 1813 aged 31. Also their daughter Mary aged 1 year. Also John, elder son of the above died April 8 1824 aged 17. Also John, last surviving son of William and Elizabeth Churcher died March 5 1877 and is interred beside his mother at Worthing.
50. A headstone. William Churcher of Wickham Court Farm in this parish and younger son of John Churcher was drowned in the Solent November 1 1860 aged 51. Also Elizabeth widow of the above died at Worthing January 29 1903 aged 83. Also their infant children: Arthur, Kate, Edith and Ernest.
51. A white marble cross. Elizabeth wife of Peter Paget died at Croydon July 16 1868 aged 73. Also the above Peter Paget died at Croydon October 26 1879 aged 83.
52. An altar tomb much covered in ivy. On the South side. Mr Philip Eaton died August 23 1835 aged 52. On the North side. Mrs Susanna Eaton ........ April 1858 aged (?7)0 years.
53. A headstone below the West window of the North aisle Frances Blake Rush, ob. 19 February 1800 aet. 24.
54. A headstone. Katherine Jane Elizabeth, daughter of William and Jane Tyndale and niece of F.B. Rush died 26 December 1816 aged 27.
This ends those up to a line from the North Transept
wall. Stones to the North of the church, beginning at the N.W. angle of the
56. A headstone. John William Brasier son of John and Patty Brasier of this parish died June 26 1789 aged 7 weeks. Also Patty Brasier, daughter of John and Patty Brasier late of the parish of Coulsdon died January 5 1801 aged 2 years. Also an infant of the above.
57. An altar tomb covered with ivy. Mr Thomas Kemp departed this life August 28 1808 aged 60. Also Mrs Averill Kemp relict of Mr Thomas Kemp died February 24 1828 aged 68. Also Elizabeth wife of Mr George B. Kemp of High Street, Croydon, departed this life May 26 1857 in his 70th year.
58. An altar tomb covered with ivy.
59. Another tomb quite covered with ivy. On the North side. Sacred to the memory of John Alexander, Esquire, of Greenwich, died February 11 1819 aged 85 years.
60. A cross. Eleanor Eliza 3rd daughter of John Farnaby Lennard and Julia his wife born February 2 1853 died December 22 1854.
61. A granite cross. Sir John Farnaby Lennard, Bart., of Wickham Court, born September 27 1816 died December 21 1899. Julia Maria Frances, wife of the above and daughter of Henry Hallam, the historian, born December 1 1818 died July 15 1888. Isabella, widow of Sir John Farnaby Lennard, Bart., born October 5 1833 died March 24 1918.
62. A headstone. James, son of James and Ann Alexander of the parish of Edenbridge died April 9 1799 aged 6 years. Also Eliza daughter of the above died 9 November 1819 aged 18.
63. A headstone. Mrs Anne Stretton, wife of Mr John Stretton of Lambeth, died August 11 1840 in her 53rd year. Lamented by her husband and children.
64. A cross. Sarah Bristow born March 2 1821 died August 9 1870. For 17 years a servant in the family of Colonel Farnaby Lennard of Wickham Court.
65. A headstone. William Stephen Divall died February 2 1870 aged 25 years. Amelia Divall, mother of the above died April 6 1878 aged 73. Also Stephen Divall, husband of the above died February 3 1881 aged 71.
66. A headstone. Mrs Ann Marchant died 14 September 1833 in her 35th year.
67. A headstone. Charles Alfred, child of Joseph and Hannah Slatter born May 30 1882 died November 23 aged 5 months.
68. An altar tomb. Here lieth the remains of Elizabeth wife of Peter Wright of Pall Mall in the City of Westminster who died 14 October 1794 aged 48 years.
69. A headstone. Charlotte Emma, daughter of Charles and Charlotte Christiana Toller born 31 January 1839 died 9 July 1841.
70. A granite headstone. Walter John Charles Parrell died April 7 1889 aged 7 months. Also Sarah Jenkins died September 29 1889 aged 17. Also Hilda E. Parrell died July 10 1891 aged 6 months. Also F.P. Jenkins husband of the above died January 23 1894 aged 52.
71. A headstone. Samuel Ellis of this parish died October 30 1787 aged 45. What a husband and a father ought to be he was. Hannah Pearce, wife of the above died January 23 1806 aged 61. Selina Burlington, granddaughter of the above died March 12 1815 aged 7 years and 10 months.
72. A headstone. Mrs Sarah Brewis died February 11 180 (?3 or 8) aged 78. Also Mr Robert Brewis, husband of the above died at Finchley in Middlesex 13 December 1850 aged 81. A native of Warkworth in the County of Northumberland.
73. A cross. Elizabeth Young, wife of Henry Young of this parish died August 1868 aged 43. Henry Young died May 8 1876 aged 60. Henry Coleman Ginger, grandson of the above died 31 August 1892 in his 21st year.
74. A headstone. Captain Samuel Fowell, R.N., died 30 March aged (?4)0 years in the year 1823.
75. An altar tomb. On the North side. To the memory of Joseph Martin, Esquire, of Hayes in this County died April 8 1777 aged 36 years.
76. Two stones at the head and foot. E.R. 1805.
77. A headstone. Mr John Scott of this parish died (? August 8) 1810 aged 74. Mary Scott, widow of the above died June 10 1812 aged 70.
78. A headstone. Charlotte Combe, daughter of Henry and (Christian) Combe died December + 1787 aged 21 months. Also Elizabeth Grant died 10 June 1787 aged 10 years.
79. A headstone by the East door of the North transept. Susanna Newman, wife of Thomas Newman of this parish died February 13 1832 in her 71st year. Also the above Thomas Newman died 24 February 1834 aged 72.
80. A headstone. Ann Newman wife of Thomas Newman died 2 April 1801 aged 45.
81. A wood rail. North. Thomas Newman died October 6 1882 aged 54. South. William Newman died 15 September 1878 aged (?90) years.
82. A headstone. Alicia Hillier, late wife of James Hillier died October 23 1783 aged 23.
83. A headstone. Hannah Hillier, wife of William Hillier of this parish died February 27 1788 aged 72.
84. A headstone. William Hillier of this parish died September 24 1782 aged 64.
85. A headstone. ?Thomas, son of ....... .......
86. A headstone. John H...... 1777 died in the 66th year of his age.
87. A headstone. Ann, wife of William Hillier of the parish of Croydon died December 12 1792 aged 33.
88. A headstone. John Hillier of the parish of Croydon died .....(?1803) aged 4(?) years.
89. A cross. Joseph Becket Hillier died at Southsea, Hants., November 1 1878 aged 53 and is interred here. Also John Griffin died 18 September 1884 aged 45. Also our dear sister Emma wife of the above John Griffin died aged 68 years (no date given - L.L.D.)
90. A small headstone. Georgina Ethel Dubber died January 5 1885 aged 10 years and 6 months.
91. A headstone. John Cooper of this parish died 17 December 1883 aged 73. Also John Cooper died 15.3.1902 aged 87.
92. A headstone. Esther Histed Carton died March 25 1895 aged 54. Also Alfred Carton died August 28 1895 aged 55. Erected by their children.
93. A headstone. Charlotte Demorin died ? June 1779 aged 57. Also Emelie Jus(?ill) sister of the above died July 1798 aged 78.
94. A headstone. Hugh Knowlings, Esquire, of West Wickham in Kent died July 18 1780.
95. A headstone. Mr Samuel House of Bromley Common died 20 March 1846 aged 62. Mrs Frances House, relict of the above died 19 May 1851 in her 82nd year.
96. A cross. Florence Edith, wife of John Ward born 11.4.1880 died February 27 1910.
97. A granite cross. To my beloved wife Annie Eleanor Woolman died 22.2.1918 aged 52.
98. A headstone. Frances Hodges wife of Richard Hodges, Esquire, of His Majesty's Customs died 26 January 1823 aged 50. Also their daughter Harriot Spencer wife of Lt. T. Locke Lewis of the Royal Engineers died September 7 1827 aged 25 years.
99. A headstone covered with ivy. Mr John Cook of this parish died 17 December 1793 aged 63. A tender husband.
99a. A headstone covered with ivy linked with above ....... .......
Two footstones - J.C. 1793 and ....... 1802.
100. A headstone. Annie wife of John Beal of West Wickham, Kent, died August 12 1883 aged 36. Also William Hollamby brother of the above died January 11 1910 aged 65.
101. A cross. Ellen Olive died February 13 1902 aged 57. Phoebe Ann Day eldest daughter of the above died 1 June 1891 aged 28. John Olive, husband of the above died 19.3.1917 aged 78.
The end of West Wickham. The remaining stones are mostly
at the foot of the hill on the North side are all modern i.e. since 1891
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A transcription of a further Leland Duncan notebook for West Wickham also called "Book II" and starting with Plot I. dated July 25th [no year].
102. Headstone. Rebecca Coote wife of Thomas Coote of this parish died November 6th 1858 aged 54 years. Also Mary Coote died October 8th 1853 aged 14 years 8 months.
103. A small cross. Edwin Roots died March 12 1875 aged 10 years.
104. A cross. "Annie" / Hannah Eliza / dearly beloved daughter of Robert and Hannah Palfrey Harman born June 28 1846 died December 22 1889.
105. Headstone. Captain Thomas Wills of the brigantine Trusty of Torquay, Devon, who died at Demerara September 22 1837 aged 34 years. Also Eliza Wills, relict of the above who died at West Wickham August 17 1869 aged 66 years. Also Felicia Carolina daughter of the above died at St. Johns, Newfoundland, November 22 1837 aged 11 months. Also Richard Palfrey Yabsley died April 4 1881 aged 74 years. Also Mary Palfrey Yabsley died August 29 1879 aged 74 years. Brother and sister of the above Eliza Wills.
106. Headstone. Ann daughter of Robert and Hannah Palfrey Harman of this parish died May 11 1842 aged 2 years and 3 months. Also Thomas Wills Harman died September 8 1843 aged 16 months. Also John Yabsley Harman died October 29 1847 aged 3 years and 3 months. Also an infant died on January 6th 1858. Also Sophia Harman daughter of the above died July 7 1869 aged 21 years. Also Hannah Palfrey wife of Robert Harman died April 16 1881 aged 69 years. Also the above Robert Harman who died May 9 1885 in his 75th year.
107. Headstone. Mrs Mary Vine late of Uckfield, Sussex, who died in this parish January 21st 1839 aged 89 years. Also Charlotte wife of Robert Lindsay of the Old Kent Road, London, and daughter of the above who died February 25th 1848 aged 63 years. Also Thomas Harman many years resident in this parish died August 30 1859 aged 78 years. Also Ann widow of the above Thomas Harman died May 21 1860 aged 81 years and the daughter of the said Mary Vine. Also the above Robert Lindsay died June 23 1868 aged 73 years. Also Sarah widow of the late William Maynard and daughter of the above Mary Vine died January 12 1866 aged 86 years. Also Sophia daughter of the above Mary Vine died April 25 1877 aged 87 years.
108. Headstone. Emma daughter of Richard and Frances Harman of this parish died August 3 1843 aged 14 months. Also Charlotte Harman died October 3 1853 aged 9 years. Also Frances wife of Richard Harman died November 21 1883 aged 74 years.
109. Headstone. Caroline wife of Thomas Mathie of this parish died December 2 1871 aged 45 years. Also Marian Rous Mathie youngest daughter of the above died January 5 1884 aged 18 years.
110. Headstone. Jane wife of Thomas Leech of this parish died May 2 1840 aged 35 years.
111. Headstone. Frederick Hall died 9 march 1845 aged 80 years. Also Mary Ann Rea, sister of the above died 29 April 1846 aged 80 years. For 23 years a faithful and attached servant to Lieut-Col. Cator's family.
112. Headstone. Mrs Esther Stevens died October 31 1843 aged 75 years. Also Joseph Stevens husband of the above died 15.6.1854 aged 80.
113. Headstone. Catherine wife of Horton Stockwin and fourth daughter of the late John Cooper of this parish who died January 8 1864 aged 39 years.
114. Headstone. John Cooper of Waits Farm of this parish who died May 11 A.D. 1860 aged 83 years. Also Elizabeth Cooper wife of the above died August 1 1867 in the 80 year of her age.
115. Headstone. Elizabeth youngest and beloved daughter of William and Hannah Cooper of this parish died August 18 1865 aged 8 years. Also Hannah Hillier wife of William Cooper died February 28 1888 aged 71 years.
116. Headstone. William Sargent died May 6 1856 aged 58 years. Also Harriet Sargent wife of the above died July 4 1877 aged 74 years.
The following three headstones are enclosed within iron
118. Mr John Best of Layham's Farm in this parish died 30 November 1831 in the 65th year of his age.
119. Ann wife of John Best of this parish and daughter of George and Mary Staples of the parish of Knockholt in this county died 8 October 1823 in the 54th year of her age.
120. Headstone. Mar William Best son of Edward and Mary Best of this parish died December 3 1815 aged 59 years.
121. Headstone. Thomas, son of Edward and Mary Best of this parish died 21 March 1795 aged 54 years.
122. Headstone. Mary wife of Edward Best of this parish and daughter of Thomas and Mary Plumer died January 18 1795 aged 69 years.
123. Headstone. Mr Edward Best of this parish died February 12 1786 aged 70 years.
124. The following two memorials are within iron rails.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The final transcription of
L.L. Duncan's notebooks for St
John Baptist, West Wickham, titled "Book I to be read with Book
125. A flat headstone within iron rails. John Gothard, Baron de Rehausen, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of his Majesty The King of Sweden and Norway at the Court of St James's born in Lisbon June 8 1802 died in London March 2 1854.
126. Headstone. Alice Elliott died November 2 1868 aged 75. William Elliott her husband died October 12 1873 aged 85.
127. Headstone. Joseph Staple of Florence Place, Deptford, in this county, died March 18 1845 aged 72. Also Mary Staple eldest daughter of the above (interred at Nunhead Cemetery) who died November 27 1857 aged 61. Also Sarah Ann Staple widow of the above Joseph Staple died February 9 1862 aged 72.
128. Headstone. Mrs Carolina Staple wife of Joseph Staple of the Borough of Southwark died 21 December 1815 aged 44. Also Caroline Staple daughter of the above died 3 July 1817 aged 19.
129. Headstone. Joseph and Eliza, son and daughter, of Joseph and Caroline Staple of St George's Southwark. Joseph died 17 October 1806 aged 1 year & 2 months. Eliza died 23 January 1807 aged 7.
130. Headstone. Mr Thomas Staple of the Parish of Hayes died 16 November 1808 in his 64th year.
131. Headstone. Mrs Mary Staple wife of Mr Joseph Staple of Hayes died 11 July 1789 aged 47.
132. Headstone. Joseph Staple died 1 June 1780 aged 50.
133. A large tomb. George Matthew, late of Groveton, who died October 7 1814 aged 62. Also Samuel, second son of the above who died January 20 1811 aged 22. Also Mary wife of the above George Matthew who died January 14 1810 aged 50.
134. Headstone. Mrs Mary Washford died 7 October 1791 aged 61.
135. Headstone. Mary Washford wife of John Washford died October X 1770 aged 79. Also George Washford son of John and Sarah Washford died January 8 1772 aged 47.
136. Headstone. Sarah Washford wife of John Washford died September ye 18 1734 aged 43.
137. Headstone. Elizabeth Washford, spinster, died February 20 1768 aged 82. Also John Washford died July ye 13 1770 aged 75.
138. Headstone. Thomas Bargrove died September 28 1791 aged 74.
139. Headstone. Thomas Bargrove, of the parish of Croydon, son of Thomas and Mary Bargrove, many years residents of this place. He died July 20 1797 aged 47.
140. Headstone. Mr John Bargrove died March 26 1828 aged 77. Maria Bargrove wife of the above died March 10 1843 aged 75.
141. A headstone with an organ engraved on top. Robert W. Rennison died September 12 1870 aged 25. This stone was erected by the choir of St Matthew's Croydon as a lasting tribute of respect to an esteemed friend.
142. Headstone. Thomas Blundell died February 3 1866 aged 75. Also Maria wife of the above died January 12 1880 aged 87. Also George son of the above died April 3 1855 aged 43. Also Ada Florence who died May 5 1866 aged 1 year.
143. Headstone. Mr George Overy, plumber, of this parish, died April 4 1808 aged 71. Also Ann relict of the above George Overy died May 4 1813 aged 69.
144. Headstone. Mr John Phillips late tanner of Lambeth in the county of Surrey died 9 May 1780 aged 50.
145. Headstone. William Dawkins of this parish died March 21 1787 aged 84. Also Sarah Dawkins wife of the above died January 11 1780 aged 75.
146. Headstone. Mr George Clinch who died at Rowes Farm in this parish on 17 December 1872 aged 49. Also Caroline wife of the above also died at Rowes Farm in this parish December 2 1887 aged 65.
147. Headstone. George Amor died 7 January 1876 aged 87. Matilda Branch Amor wife of the above died 26 January 1879 aged 87. Also Caroline Louisa Amor daughter of the above died August 23 1888 aged 68.
148. Headstone. Thomas Plummer son of Thomas and Mary Plummmer of this parish died February 23 1800 aged 65.
149. A headstone with cherub's head and wings. Here lieth the body of / Mrs Mary Plummer / of this parish who died / the 28th December 1757 / aged 59 years. / Also the body of / Mr Thomas Plummer / late of this parish husband / of the above Mary Plummer / who died the 30th April 1765 aged 75.
150. Headstone. Mr William Best late of the parish of Croydon died August 17 1786 in his 78th year. Also Mrs Hannah Best wife of the above died May 26 1786 aged 83.
151. Headstone. Ann Jackson late wife of William Jackson of Addington in Surrey, who died 20 July 1767 aged 43.
152. A headstone with cherub's face and wings. Here lyeth the body of / Thomas Phillips / of this parish who died / March 25th 1733 aged 58 / and Mary wife of the said Thomas / died June 4th 1763 aged 80.
153. Headstone. Mr Thomas Stokes of the parish of Bromley in Kent died 10 January 1777 ....... [age underground - L.L.D.]
154. A headstone with skull &c. Mary Wilkenson, wife of Richard Wilkenson died March 23 1742 in ye ....... [ age underground - L.L.D.]
155. Headstone. Sophia Smale Burtwell wife of Augustus Frederick Burtwell died February 25 1888 in her 23rd year.
156. Headstone on one side. Henry Payne of Brighton died
February 26 1870 aged 50. Also Francis Mallilieu Payne son of the above died
at Tucacas, Venezuela, where he rests December 20 1881 aged 23.
157. Headstone. Mary Ann daughter of William and Ann
Sweeting Tapsell died June 15 1888 aged 55.
158. Headstone. Ann wife of Thomas Sweeting of this parish died 28 August 1838 aged 69. Also three of her children. Also Mr Thomas Sweeting , husband of the above died 4 October 1852 aged 74, leaving a widow and three children to lament his loss.
159. Headstone. Mary wife of Mr John Bennett of this parish died May 20 1828 in her 43rd year. A tender mother.
160. Headstone. ....... daughter of William and Mary Bennett who died January 20 1795 in the 23rd year of her age.
161. Headstone. William Bennett of this parish died 1 January 1781 aged 49. Also Mary Bennettt his wife died 29 December 1780 aged 50.
162. Headstone. Mr John Kemp of this parish died September 5 1811 aged 63. Also Elizabeth Kemp wife of the above died November 29 1839 aged 74.
163. A small cross. Ethel May Kemp born March 4 1879 died February 7 1880.
164. Headstone. Thomas Kemp born July 8 1813 died June 12 1879. Also Priscilla wife of the above born July 2 1822 died August 24 1878. Also Thomas born August 13 1842 died April 11 1879.Also Augustus born June 30 1857 died February 28 1877. Sons of Thomas and Priscilla Kemp.
165. Headstone in the same enclosure as above. William son of Thomas Kemp of Eynsford, Kent, died February 19 1836 aged 21. Also George born July 2 1846 died October 14 1849. Also James born September 4 1850 died November 4 1856. Sons of Thomas and Priscilla Kemp.
166. Headstone. Elizabeth wife of James Winget of this parish died 26 January 1854 aged 48. Also James Winget died 20 November 1859 aged 55.
167. Headstone. George Barnes died March 21 1874 aged 38. Also John Sweeting died August 25 1880 aged 40.
168. Headstone. William Cooper of Addington died May 3 1848 aged 68. Also Eliza daughter of the above died January 12 1849 aged 33. Also Anne wife of the above died April 28 A.D. 1862 aged 77.
169. A small headstone. A.M.C. 1771, I.C. 1773, B.C. 1773, S.C. 1771.
170. Headstone. Mr John Cooper of this parish died August 1 1820 aged 79.
171. Headstone. Mrs Goodworth Cooper wife of John Cooper of this parish died January 24 1807 aged 62.
172. Headstone. Ann Hillier Cooper of this parish died June 31 1850 aged 35. Also Jane Crittall wife of John Cooper died July 18 1888 aged 72.
173. Headstone. Anne daughter of the late John and Goodworth Cooper of this parish died February 1 1849 in her 74th year.
174. Headstone. Richard Cooper of this parish died May 9 1784 aged 80. Also Bennett wife of the above Richard Cooper died January 9 1785 aged 70.
175. Headstone. Sarah Cooper daughter of Richard and Bennett Cooper died 12 February 1771 aged 21 years. Also one daughter and two sons of Francis and Ann Calvert: Anna Maria died 29 August 1771 aged 7 weeks, Francis died 19 April 1773 aged 3 years, Charles died 21 December 1773 aged 17 months. Also Sophia Charlotte Calvert died 19th of....... (rest underground - L.L.D.)
176. Headstone. Bennett Carter wife of James Carter and daughter of Richard and Bennett Cooper of this parish died May 25 1774 aged 31. Also the above James Carter died July 17 1776 aged 34. Also John Poltny who died February 24 1774 aged 34.
177. Headstone. Joseph Cooper, esquire of Shirley in the Parish of Croydon and page to the late Queen Charlotte died January 20 1832 aged 86. Also Mary Amelia wife of the above Joseph Cooper died August 12 1812 aged 65.
178. Headstone. Christopher Vickers, smith and farrier of this parish died January 11 1850 aged 62. Also Mary wife of the above died January 24 1853 aged 79. Also Peter Vickers Field grandson of the above died November 13 1853 aged 4 months. Also Mary Ann Marchant died June 18 1854 aged 9 months. Also Ann Matilda Field died December 19 1856 aged 4 months, granddaughters of the above. Also George Vickers Field died February 20 1859 aged 14 months. Also Susanna Vickers Field the daughter of Charles and Ellen Field of this parish born at West Wickham November 30 1854 died at St Leonard's on Sea November 19 1860 and lies under this stone.
179. Headstone. Edward Cook of this parish died 3 December 1789 aged 80.
180. Headstone. Mrs Ann Cook wife of Mr Edward Cook of this parish died June 25 1766 aged 53.
181. A small headstone. Thomas Stacey died April 1st 1727 aged 27.
182. An altar tomb opposite the tower entrance. Mr Richard Whiffen, son of Mr Richard Whiffen of Leyham in this parish who died 1 November 1766 in the 70th year of his age.
183. Headstone. Richard Whiffen, late of this parish, died May ye 1st 1739 aged 78 years. Mary Whiffen, wife of Richard Whiffen, died January ye 20th 1746 aged 86 years.
184. Headstone. Elizabeth Callant wife of Robert Callant late of Croydon and daughter of Richard and Mary Whiffen of this parish died October 14 1778 aged 89.
185. Headstone with cherub's head, wings and trumpets, &c. Here lieth interred the body of / Jane Whiffen late wife / of James Whiffen of / St. James', Westminster, who departed / this life the 14th of August 1765 / aged 73 years.
186. Headstone with skull between two griffin's wives. Richard Whiffen / son of James and Jane / Whiffen of ye parish of / St. James', Westminster / died October 22nd 1732 / aged 3 years.
187. Headstone with skull surrounded with laurel leaves. Here lieth interred the body of / Mr James Whiffen of St. James' / Westminster, oil man and son / of Richard Whiffen and Mary his wife of Layhames in this / parish who departed this life / the 22nd of April 1769 aged / 69 years.
188. Headstone. Mr John Johnson of this parish died July 17 1820 aged 56. Also Elizabeth wife of the above and daughter of the late John and Goodworth Cooper of this parish died April 11 1842 aged 72.
189. Headstone. James Nisbit, the son of James and Ann Nisbit of this parish died March 29 1793 aged 2 years and 7 months. Beneath, a sleeping infant lies, To earth his body's lent, More glorious he'll hereafter rise, But not more innocent, When the archangel's trump shall sound And soul to body join, Many would wish their lives below Had been as short as thine.
190. Headstone. Mr William Hilder late of this parish died 9 November 1829 aged 81.
191. Headstone. Elizabeth wife of George Cooper of Shirley died July 22 1842 aged 59. Also George Cooper late of Shirley died 20 July 1847 aged 72.
192. Headstone. Elizabeth wife of Robert Squires of Addiscombe, late of this parish died April 28 1847 in his 70th year. Also Mary Ann Groom wife of George Groom of Thavies Inn, London, and daughter of the above who died 6 November 1852 aged 47. Also Robert Squires died 8 January 1856 aged 82.
193. A headstone with a coat of arms [a drawing] inlaid in brass. John Tyler obit 12 July 1866 aetat 77.
194. A wooden cross. Amy wife of Richard Percival of this parish died August 26 1885 aged 39.
195. A wooden cross. Amy Eveline Percival died January 26 1881 aged 11 months. Also George Percival died December 29 1885 aged 4 months.
196. A granite cross and flat tomb within iron railings William McAdam Stewart of West Wickham, Kent Born 29th January 1784Died 6th October 1867. On another small stone in the same enclosure Charles Stewart Born 3 December 1863 Died 27 March 1864.
A cross and footstone, on the latter Adam Stewart Gladstone died 5th June 1863 aged 48.
197. Headstone. John Carttar formerly of St Paul's, Deptford, in this county, gentleman, died 2 April 1835 aged 61.
The end of the stones in this part of the yard.
Plot II - Stones in piece East of the tower and South of the Chancel.
198. Headstone with clouds, skull, book &c. Joane Martin late wife of George Martin of this parish died May ye 21 and was buried May ye 25 1727 aged 74 years.
199. Headstone with cherub's head, wings, flowers &c. Elizabeth Lampard wife of Round Lampard and granddaughter to George and Joane Martin of West Wickham died first of June 1760 aged 58 years.
200. Headstone with two cherub's heads &c. Near this place lies ye bodys of Elizabeth, James and William, daughter and sons of Charles Martin and Mary his wife. Elizabeth died September 12 1719 aged 9 months, James died September ye 29 1723 aged 7 weeks, William died May ye 21st 1727 aged 6 months.
201. Headstone with cherub's head, wings &c Charles Martin son of George and Joane Martin of this parish died 15 July 1741 aged 58. Also Mary Martin wife of Charles Martin of this parish died ye 7 April 1760 aged 72 years.
202. Headstone. Sarah wife of Stephen Rutley of this parish died June 6 1837 aged 34. Also Stephen Rutley of Birchwood House, Godstone, died September 5 1870. (no age given. L.L.D.)
203. Headstone with cherub's head and wings - and a grotesque face above. Here lyeth the body of / George son of Charles / Martin and Frances his / wife. He died August ye 31 1731 / aged 23 years.
204. Headstone. Mary Gresham daughter of Charles and Mary Marten and wife of Henry Gresham of Lewisham, died October 23 1779 aged 67 years. Also Mary Bennett daughter of the above and wife of Edward Bennett of Kennington Lane who died 2 August 180- aged 53.
205. A large tomb. George Robbins, formerly a Captain 17th Lancers and Major Hampshire Militia, died November 29 1873 aged 71 years.
206. Headstone. Amy Martin late of the parish of Bromley, Kent, died November 15 1801 aged 77.
207. Headstone. Mrs Elizabeth Martin daughter of Mr Charles and Mrs Mary Martin died October 7 1792 aged 73. Also Mrs Ann Martin sister of the above died 15 November 1801 aged 77.
208. Headstone. Thomas Martin son of Charles and Mary Martin of this parish died March 31 1781 aged 63 years.
209. Headstone with skull, cherub's head, book, hour glass &c. John Martin son of Charles and Mary Martin of this parish died 10 December 1760 aged 39.
210. Headstone with cherub's head, trumpets &c. Charles Martin son of Charles and Mary Martin of this parish died 15 August 1760 aged 47 years.
211. Headstone. Janet wife of the late John Wallace of Springfield, Fife, died January 7 1873 aged 99.
212. Headstone. Catherine Lillico died 18 March 1860 aged 9 years and 10 months.
213. Headstone. Mary wife of John Wallace of this parish died September 20 1885 aged 79. Also John, husband of the above died April 1 1889 aged 80.
214. Headstone. Nathaniel Lewis of this parish died July 13 1793 aged 55. Nathaniel Lewis lieth here Who did the God of Glory fear.
215. Headstone. Sarah Arnold late of Croydon died 6 April 1828 aged 59 years.
216. Headstone. Thomas Whiffin son of Richard and Mary Whiffin of Layhames in this parish died December 4 1772 aged 82.
217. Headstone with skull, bones, &c. Thomas Whiffen son of Thomas and Sarah Whiffen died 5 November 1730 aged 3 days. Also Sarah ye daughter of Thomas and Sarah Whiffen died 15 February 1731 aged 7 weeks and 3 days.
218. Headstone with cherub's head, wings, &c. Sarah the wife of Thomas Whiffen died 29 December 1735 aged 41.
219. Headstone. Marianne wife of W.H. Stokes died March 9 1881 (no age given L.L.D.)
The end of those in this piece.
Plot III - Stones to the East of the chancel
220. Headstone. Mr William Little of this parish and late of Belgrave Place, Wandsworth Road, died June 24 1863 in his 87th year. His languishing head is laid to rest Its thinking and acheing are o'er His quick immovable breast Is heared by affliction no more His heart is no longer the seat Of trouble and torturing pain It ceases to flutter and beat It never will flutter again. Also Dinah Loveday Little daughter of the above died September 1st 1884 in her 76th year.
221. A flat stone. Mr Edward Little of this parish died 7 February 1880 aged 57.
222. Headstone. William Holloway late of Exeter Street, Knightsbridge, in the county of Middx., died November 11 1819 aged 53.
223. Headstone. James Rogers died March 21 1884 in his 95th year.
224. A white marble cross near the lych gate. Walter Daniel Powell died January 24 1885 aged 22.
225. Headstone. Dorothea Heysham Milne daughter of the late Thomas Milne, esquire, of Manchester, died 23 April 1828 aged 26.
226. Headstone. John Howden died February 6 1864 aged 46.
227. Headstone. Mr Thomas Sharp died June 5 1842 aged 54. Also his wife Ann Sharp died 13.3.1861 aged 70.
228. Headstone. Elizabeth wife of Drew Outram died September 5 1803 aged 45. Also Mr Drew Outram died November 6 1820 aged 81.
229. Headstone. Matthew George son of Matthew and Amy Wise of St Martin's Court, Ludgate Hill, London, died 26 May 1839 aged 6 years. Also William Wise died June 27 1843 aged 3 months and 15 days.
230. Headstone. George son of George and Ann Weaver of Rowe's Farm in this parish died off Bombay in the East Indies on board the Honourable East India Company's ship The Berrwickshire from the effects of the climate June 11 1830 aged 22. Also to William twin brother of the above named George who died after a very long and painful illness January 12 1831 aged 23.
231. Headstone. George Weaver of Rowse Farm in this parish died June 28 1843 aged 66. Also Ann his wife died August 21 1848 in her 68th year.
232. Headstone and cross. Harriett wife of Edward Dunger died April 22 1862 aged 30.
233. Headstone. Harriett wife of Peter Poplett of this parish died November 4 1875 aged 64. Also Peter Poplett died April 13 1886 aged 72. Also William Pursley, son-in-law, of the above aged 30. Also Willie his son aged 4 years died September 8 and 9 1888.
234. Headstone. Alfred Poplett died 1 October 1863 aged 9 years.
235. Headstone. Mrs Wilmshurst of this parish died April 2 1842 aged 45. Sincerely lamented by her husband and friends.
236. Headstone. Mr George Taylor of this parish died May 6 1831 aged 66. Also Mrs Susannah Taylor wife of the above died 10 August 1833 aged 68. Also Mary Ann wife of Robert Smith and daughter of the above died January 1 1836 aged 35. Also Mrs Ann Caroline Taylor died February 15 1843 aged 33.
237. A small white marble cross. Marion, youngest child of Walter and Edith de Zoete died 10 August 1884 aged 2 years and 7 months.
238. Headstone. John Ledger of this parish died 15.9.1870 aged 81. Also Lucy Ledger wife of the above died 21 January 1877 aged 85.
239. Headstone. Charles Ledger of 47, Borough Road, Southwark, died January 20 1882 aged 33. Also Marian wife of the above Charles Ledger died October 16 1884 aged 34.
240. A cross. Jane wife of Charles North, esquire, of Leeds, Yorkshire, died 11 May 1884 (no age given. L.L.D.)
241. Headstone. William Winter died June 6 1840 aged 47.
242. Headstone. Thomas Winter died 26 October 1833 aged 42. Also Thomas Winter, senior, died January 28 1837 aged 75. Also Mary wife of Thomas Winter, junior, died October 31 1849 aged 46.
243. Headstone. Robert John Tyers of this parish died 15 September 1866 aged 64.
244. Headstone. John Mallyon died March 20 1856 aged 85. Also Anne youngest daughter of the above died October 29 1880 aged 62.
Index of names and places only
Compiled by Zena Bamping
Eaton, 49, 52.
Field, 156, 158.
Gladstone, 16, 176.
Harman, 104, 106, 107, 108.
Hillier, 82, 83, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 115, 152.
Jackson, 15, 32, 151.
James, 4, 5.
Kemp, 57, 162-165.
Ledger, 218, 219.
Lennard, 60, 61, 64.
Lewis, 98, 194.
Little, 200, 201.
Marchant, 66, 158.
Martin, 75, 178-181, 183, 184, 186-190.
Newman, 79, 80, 81.
Paget, 45, 48, 51.
Phillips, 144, 152.
Plumer, 122, 148, 149.
Poplett, 213, 214.
Rush, 22, 22a, 53, 54.
Seward, 23, 24, 25.
Exeter Street, Knightsbridge,
Finchley, Middx., 72.
Hayes, 75, 131.
Kennington Lane, 204.
Lambeth, 63, 124, 144.
Layham's Farm, 117, 118,
Leeds, Yorks., 240.
Letcombe Regis, Berks., 4.
Lincoln's Inn Fields, 3.
Old Kent Road, London, 107.
Rotherfield, Sussex, 43.
Rowe's Farm, 146.
Salisbury, Wilts., 17.
Southsea, Hants., 89.
Springfield, Fife, 211.
St. Martin's Court, Ludgate Hill, London, 229.
St. Paul's, Deptford, 197
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society click here
Back to Churchyards Listed Back to Library and Visual Records Back to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2001
This website is
constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers
will be to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details to email@example.com