with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Walmer Church, Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1759
Also some Monumental
Inscriptions Noted by Zechariah
Cozens about 1795, added 30th September 2008
Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
In the Chancell..
(¼ly: 1). Or a fesse betw. 2 chevrons sa. 2). Gu. a leopard (?) arg. 3). Gu. 4
fusils in fesse arg. 4). Or, a bend cotised betw. 3 griffins’(?) heads erased
sa. imp. ¼ly: 1&4) Or, a + engrailed per pale gu. & sa. & in 1st
qr. a cresct. gu for difference. 2&3) COLT (4.21 – Cantby. Mary Bredman).
1. On a Monument on ye East Wall, at ye N. Side of ye Com. Table
In Memory of William LISLE, one of the Esquires for the Body of King James, of
Our Royal Sovereign King Charles whose Science in the Artes, Tongues, and
Antiquities, the University of Cambridge, and his Books extant, do manifest. As,
also, of Edmond Lisle, his Brother, Server of the Chamber to Queene Eliz. King
James, & our said Sovereign, King Charles; having been 21 Yeares Capt. of
Walmer Castle, lineally descended from the Lords de LISLE , and ROUGEMONT; and
from Sr. John Lisle, one of the first Founders of the honourable Order of the
Garter; and Robert his Sonne, who gave unto King Edward the Third LXXXVI Knight’s
Feese, as is recorded; and from Warin FITZGERALD, Chamberlaine to King John, and
Isabel de FORTIBUS, COUNTESS of DEVON. The sayed William departed this Life in
September 1637 and the sayed Edmond, the first of October following, and are
both here interred; leaving Nichs. Lisle, their Brother, Possessor of their
ancient Inheritance of Wilburgham L’Isles, in the County of Cambridge, who
married Mary, one of the Coheirs of Nich’s BROOKE, by Jane, Coheir of Thomas
COLT, of Essex Esq. which Nicholas, for the due Respect hee bare unto his sayed
Brothers, caused this Monument to be erected. Anno 1637.
2. On a little low Altar Tomb, against ye South Wall. Here lieth the Body of
Sarah the Daughter of John SLADDEN, who was buried the 17th of July
1653 aged 1 Yeare.
3. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth the Body of John SLADDEN, he died the 26th
of October 1673 aged 60. He had Sonne and 3 Daughters, Benjamin, Mary, Ann, and
4. On Another. [FOGG (1.16 error for 116
Ashford written)]. D.O.M.S.
Memoria Anna Christoph. BOYS, Castelli Walmerieusis Pro Prefecti, Uxoris, Thomae
Fogg, armigeri, Filiae. quae 10 Liberos Conjugi peperit; et omnibus, Virtutum
omnium, Exemplum edidit, Vita 49. An. nec non, et Morte, Die 17 Octob. An.D.
1680. Con: M.P.
5. Here are 2 ancient flat Stones without Inscription – one of wch. has been
In the Body. of the Church
6. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth interred the Body of Mary MORRIS, the Wife of
Mr Edw. MORRIS, Yeoman, of this Parish; She departed this Life ye 27 Day of
November, in the Year of Our Lord 1723 in the 73d. Yeare of her Age. As, also,
here lieth the Body of Mr Edward Morris of this Parish, as above mentioned who
departed this Life, the first Day of September, in ye Year of our Lord 1727 in
the 84th Year of his Age. Who left Issue by Mary his Wife 1 Son
surviving. As also here lieth the Body of Mr Richard MORRIS, Son of the
abovesaid Edward and Mary Morris, who departed the 25 Day of March, 1732, aged
7. Other flat Stone, whose Brasses & Inscription are lost.
The Arch between the Chancell and Body is round, and wrought; which is an
Indication of ye great Antiquity of ye Building; ye Arches over ye Doors are
also round and carved.
8. This Church is small, and consists only of the Chancell and the Body. In a
little wooden Steeple, at ye West End, hang 2 Bells – 1 of them has no
Inscription the other was founded by Joseph HATCH, 1635.
9. This Church was dedicated to St. Mary. It is a Curacy of the Arch Bishop’s.
The Present Curate is Mr. John Mamimilian de L’ANGLE. 1759.
10. In the Church Yard are Memorials of DENNE, HAMMOND, HILLGROVE, JOHNSON,
LEAKE, FREMLY, and UPTON.
11. On the North Side of the Church are ye Remains of a Chapell or Chancell; The
Arch of the Way into it is visible in ye North Wall.
12. On the North Side of the Church Yard, at a little Distance from the Church, is a
pretty large Piece of Ruins, wch. among the Inhabitants is call’d the Old
13. In this Parish stands a Castle, call’d Walmer Castle, built by HENRY 8, for
the Defence of the Sea Coast.
14. Some People have a Notion that Caesar landed here in his First Expedition; nor
do I think it very improbable – but nothing certain can be pronounced.
15. I think it takes its Name, Wal-mer, from Vallum Maris or Vallum at Mare – the
Wall or Entrenchment by the Sea; wch. by the bye, I am persuaded, formerly flow’d
a great deal higher up; the low Ground hereabouts having, without Doubt, been in
former Ages all under Water – and if so will agree much more exactly with the
Place of Caesar’s Landing, as described in his Commentaries; especially as it
will greatly reconcile the Distance.
Also some Monumental
Inscriptions Noted by Zechariah
Cozens about 1795, added 30th September 2008
16. From Mongeham we
proceeded on our Visitation to Walmer, a village of a few houses,
situated about a mile and a half to the South-east of the last described
Index of Names and Places
17. The Church stands at the West side of it, consisting of one Aile and
a chancel; and a small spire steeple at the West end, containing two
Bells. There are Saxon arches over the North and South doors, and
between the Aile and chancel. The font is gothic, seemingly antient.
Date on the wooden cover 1664.
18. On the South side of the ceiling is: T.H. 1736.
19. On a mural Monument of alabaster at the North side of the Chancel:
In Memorie of Willm. LISLE one of the esqrs. of the Bodie of KINGE
JAMES, & of our royall Soveraigne KINGE CHARLES whose science in the
artes tounges & Antiquities the universitie of Cambridge & his
Books extant do manifest. also of his brother Edmond Lisle Sewer of the
chamber to QUEENE ELIZ, Kinge James and our said Soveraigne King Charles
havinge been XXI yeares Cap: of Walmer Castle lineally decended from the
lorde DE L’ISLE & ROUGEMONT & from Sr. J. L’isle one of the
first founders of the Honle. order of the Garter & Robt. his sonne
who gave unto KINGE EDWARD the THIRD LXXXVI Knights feese as is
recorded, & from Warin FITZ-GERALD Chamberlain to KINGE JOHN &
ISABELLE de FORTIBUS countess of Devon: the sayed *William (*Mr Willm.
LISLE Generosus, doctris, senex; annos 73 vixit caelebs studiis
incumbens) departed this life in September 1637 & the sayd **Edmund
(**1637 Mr Edmund Lisle Gent. Capt. of the Castle, Par.Reg). the
first of October following, and are both here interred, leaving Nichs. L’isle
their brother possessor of their antient inheritance of Wilborgham
Lisles in the County of Cambridge who married Mary one of ye coheires of
Nichs. BROKE by Jane choeire of Thos. COLT of Essex Esqrs. wch. Nichs.
for the due respect Hee bare unto his said Brothers caused this monument
to be erected anno 1637. Arms at the top, Quarterly.
1st. Lisle, viz. Or, a fess, betw. 2 Chevronels, Sab. 2nd. Gu. a Lion
passt. guardt. Ar. 3rd. Gu. 4 mascles, Ar. 4th. Ar. a Bend cotized, betw.
3 wolves heads, Sab. Crest: on a Chapeau a roundel charged with a
milroin. Motto: Tantae Molis Erat. At the bottom, Lisle, and quarterings
as above, impaling, Quarterly, 1st & 4th. BROOK, viz. a Cross,
engrail’d. 2nd & 3rd. Colt, viz. a fess, betw. 3 Colts current.
20. On a plain grave stone in the Chancel: D.O.M.S. Memoriae Annae
Christoph: BOYS castelli Walmeriensis pro praefecti Uxoris Thomae FOG
Armigeri filiae quae 10 liberos conjugi peperit, cui et omnibus virtutem
omnium exemplum aedidit vita 49 an necnon et morte die 17 Octob. An.D.
1680 con. m.p. Arms: on two shields below, BOYS and FOGG, singly.
21. On another within the altar rails, at the South side: Here lieth ye
Body of John si ARDEN: hee dyed ye 26 of October 1673 Aged 60. Hee had 1
Sonn and 3 Daughters, Beniamin, Marye, Anne and Sarah.
22. On another, just without the rails, at the South side: Here lieth
the Body of Sarah the Daughter of John SLADDEN who was buried the 17th
of July 1653 and aged 1 Yeare.
23. On a plain stone at the East end of the aile: Here lieth interred ye
Body of Mary MORRIS the wife of Mr Edward Morris, Yeoman of this Parish,
she Departed this life the 27th day of November in the yeare of our Lord
1728 n the 73d. yeare of har age. As also here lieth Interred the Body
of Mr Edward Morris of the Parish, as Above mentioned who departed this
life the ../ day of September in the Yeare of our Lord 1727 in the 84th
yeare of his age, who left Issue by Mary his wife one son surviving. As
also here lieth interr’d the Body of Mr Richard Morris Son of the
above saide Edward. Morris and of Mary his wife who departed this life
the 25th day of March 1732 Aged 53 Yeares.
2nd. Joceph HATCH made me 1635. (O.E.).
25. On an obelisk in the Church yard, at the North side of the Chancel:
Mrs Harriot BAKER, Daughter of ye late Reverend Ralph BLOMER, D.D.
Prebendary of Canterbury died Septr. 22 1781, aged 50 Years.
26. About half a mile to the Eastward of the church is the Castle, which
is very similar to those, before described, at Sandown and Deal, being
also fitted up for the residence of a genteel family.
27. The soil in this Parish is poor, but the prospects are equal to any
we have yet described; near to the Castle those stupendous (sic) cliffs,
which continue from hence to Dover begin to arise and ennoble the scene.
28. The Living is a Curacy, and the Church is dedicated to St. Mary.
29. Patron: The Archbishop. 1795. Incumbent: Robert PHILIPS.
King’s Books £……./. Tenths ……./
BOYS 4, 20
COLT 1, 19
COUNTESS of DEVON 1
de FORTIBUS 1
de L’ANGLE 9
de LISLE 1
HATCH 8, 24
LISLE 1, 19
MORRIS 6, 23
SLADDEN 2, 3, 22
Essex 1, 19
Walmer Castle 1, 19
Cambridgeshire 1, 19
Captain 1, 19
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 18th March 2007, added to 30th
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com