with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Sturry
Church, Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1757
Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
In The Body.(error
1. On a Brass Plate, fixt to a Flat Stone. Hic requiescunt Corpora Thome
CHILOMEL, de Parochiâ de Sturrey juxta Cantuariam, Joline, et Katrine, Uxorum
ejus; qui quidem Thomas dedit huic Ecclesie Plumbū ad Valorem quadraginta
Librarum, et multa alia Fecit bona, in predicta Ecclesiâ qui obijt xxvi Die
Julij A.Dni. MCCCCCVI
2. On a Flat Stone. Arg. on a bend sa. 3 covd. cups arg. NAYLOR imp. Az. a fess
embattd. betw. 3 molets or. (of 5 pts., pierced) PARAMOR]. (only bar is at end).
Here lieth buried the Body of Angelica NAYLER, late Wife of Thomas Nayler of
Sturrey, gent, who deceased the 10th of August …./ Issue by the ./.
3. Round The Sides of a Flat Stone, & on Brass Plates. The Body that here
lyeth buried in Tombe, dyed in ye Yere of Christ Mvlij. Whose Name to knowe thou
shallt full sone, these Lynes yf thow read diligently. Knowe This O Thowe this
Worlde that holdst so lyef,/As Flowers that vade thy Tyme doeth passe and
wear./And though Thow gettest the Treasures of India/To the Earth yet shallt
thou leave them agen./Have in Mynd now, then, thy Baylywicke alac,/Er Tyme
untymelie tourne thee on thy Back./Remember, I say the powre and the miserabl,/In
thys transitorye Lyfe, as thou art able./Nought hither broughts thou, nought
hens mayst thow cary,/Ensured to Thee, loe thus is Thy Gayne./Epitaphium
Elisabethe FRENCKLYN, Filie Nicolai Frencklyn./Quid, nisi Terra, sumus? Quid est
nisi Fumus?/Sed nihil est Fumus; Nos nihil ergo sumus./
4. On Another just by. Epitaphium Nicolai FRENCKLYN. En, Ego sum felix, Carius
qui Mole solutus, Mutavi Aeternis deteriora bonis./Nam cum Me Rerum Series,
fixusq Dierum/Ordo, vetat, Mundo vivere, vivo Deo.
5. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth the Body of William KENDALL, late of this Parish,
who departed this Life 4 March 1731/2 aged 61 Years. He married Margaret,
Daughter of William PICARD, late of Sturrey, who died 1 Aug 1715 aged 45 Years,
leaving no Issue. He afterwards married to Mary, Daughter of Mr Robert YOUNG, of
Long Port, in the City of Canterbury, whom he left surviving, with 1 Daughter.
Here also lieth the Body of Margaret, Daughter of William and Mary Kendall, who
died 6 Jan 1730/1 in the 7th Year of her Age.
6. On a Buttrice, at the West End. Here lyeth buried the Bodye of Katherin
CHURCH, late the Daughter of Johnn Church, sometym of Sturry ……./Lyfe in the
Yeare, a thousand CCCCCXLIX (1549).
7. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth interred the Body of Ann the Daughter of Mr Henry
BENNET and Johanna his Wife, she departed this Life March the 30th
Day 1695 in the 21st Year of hir Age.
8. On Another. Here lieth The Body of Johanna the Wife of Mr Henry BENNET, who
died, the 21st Day of September 1702 in the 64th Year of her Age.
9. On Another. Here lieth the Body of Henry BENNETT, Gent, who serv’d the
Right Honble. Philip SMITH, Lord Viscount STANFORD, and his Lady, as a just and
faithfull Servant above 45 Years. He died June 21 1724 aged 82 Years.
10. Two Other Flat Stones in the Body, which appear to be very ancient; but
their Inscriptions, and Brasses, are gone.
11. There are some Remains of good Painted Glass in the Windows.
12. In The Church Yard are Memorials of TIDDEMAN, WOOTTON, MOYSE and PICARD.
13. This Church consists of The Chancell, Body, and 2 side Isles. In The Steeple
which is a neat Spire, and stands at the West End, hang 5 Bells, thus inscribed.
1. Joseph HATCH made Me. 1622.
2. Richard PHELPS…. 1710.
3. Joseph HATCH made Me. 1622.
4. Joseph HATCH made Me. 1622.
5. Joseph HATCH made Me. 1622.
14. This Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is in the Patronage of ……./.
15. It is a Vicarage – The Present Vicar is The Revd. Mr Wheeler TWYMAN, viz.
Index of Names and Places
BENNET 7, 8, 9
FRENCKLYN 3, 4
PICARD 5, 12
Long Port, Canterbury 5
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 12th July 2008
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org