Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
1. On a Mont. on ye N. Wall. [Arg.
a fesse az. betw. 3 stars (of 6 points) sa. (COURTHOPE) imp. Sa. a chevn. betw.
3 pelicans’ heads vulning & erased or (GODFREY)].
Near This Place lies buried the Body of William Courthope of Stodmarsh Court, in
this Parish Esq. whose Predecessors lived there for many Generations; and, he,
the last of the Family died March 24 1727/8. Aged 75. He married the only
Daughter (her Name was Amye) of Peter GODFREY of Hodyford in the Parish of
Sellinge, in this County, Esq., by whom he had 2 Sons, Godfrey and William, who
both died Infants, & 3 Daughters, Ayme, Ann-Mary, and Sarah. Ayme married to
John HUGESSEN, Son of William Hugessen, of Provender, Esq. Sarah married to Mr
John JULL of Ash, which 2 Daughters survived him. To whose Memory his Widow
erected this Monument of her Affections. Here The weary are at Rest;/The Dead in
Christ shall rise to Bliss.
Index of Names and Places
2. On a Flat Stone, with The Arms of COURTHOPE, as above. Here lieth The Body of
Anne-Mary, the Daughter of William Courthope Esq, and of Ayme his Wife, who
departed this Life Decemb. ye 12th 1702, in the 8th Year of her Age.
Her Body lieth here to Rest/Her Soul with God & Christ, is blessd.
3. On Another. Here lieth the Body of Godfrey COURTHOPE, Son of William
Courthope & Ayme his Wife, who died, Jan. 22 1686/7. Not dead, but sleepeth.
4. On Another. Mrs Ayme COURTHOPE, ob. Jan. 15 1742/3. Aet. 91.
5. On Another. W. COURTHOPE Esq. 1727.
6. On a Brick. A.C. 1694.
7. In The Body, On a Brass Plate on a Flat Stone. 2 Coats, lost. Heere lyeth
William BARNEVYLLE, Gentilman, the which William died the xth Daye of July, in
the Yere of owre Lord, Thousand, CCCC.LXIIII (1464).
On whose Soull Jhs have Mercy. Amen.
8. Another very ancient Flat Stone, with a Cross Fleury raisd. on it.
9. This Church is small, and consists only of The Chancell and Body. The Steeple
which has a low wooden Spire, is at the West End. In it hang 2 Small Bells. I
could not get at them, to read their Inscriptions, if they had any.
10. This Church was dedicated to St. Mary. It is a Donative in ye Patronage of
The Arch Deacon. The present Incumbent is ……./. 1758.
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 25th May 2008
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com