A transcription of the memorial
inscriptions found by Mr Leland L. Duncan when visiting the churchyard of St
Paul's Cray, Kent, on the 23rd October 1920 and during May and June 1921, which
are from his field notebook
The transcription made by Frank Bamping, 2 March 2001
1. John Everest, a much respected inhabitant of this parish who died 28.12.1871
aged 82. Arabella, his widow died 2.3.1872 aged 90.
2. Mrs Ann Busbey May, wife of Mr John May of this parish died 29.1.1836 in her
3. Ann, wife of Mr Thomas Packman died 7.10.1829 aged 64.
4. Mrs Sarah Clark, second wife of Mr Richard Clark of St Mary Cray died
31.3.1847 in her 78th year.
5. Mr Richard Clark of St Mary Cray died 17.11.1829 aged 66.
6. Sarah Clark, wife of Mr Richard Clark of St Mary Cray died 2.9.1806 in her
39th year. She was one of the daughters of John and Ann Busbey of this parish.
Also Joseph Clark, son of the above died 6 December 1807 aged 15 months.
7. Mrs Ann Busbey, wife of Mr John Busbey late of this parish who died 7.6.1797
8. Mr John Busbey late of this parish died 19.9.1780 aged 39. Margaret, daughter
.......... [the rest under grass.]
9. Mr John Busbey late of this parish died 1.9.1773 aged 70. Also Margaret,
daughter of the above and wife of William Marchant of Wrotham died 11 May 1761
10. An iron cross. George Chambers died 12.8.1882 in his 89th year.
11. Jane, eldest daughter of the late Henry Hedges, esquire, of Hayes, Middx.,
died 12.3.1873 aged 82.
12. Ann, wife of William Peirson died 24.2.1887 aged 67. Loving wife and
mother. William Peirson her husband died 16.6.1900 aged 80.
13. Sophia, wife of John Whitehead of this parish died 27.1.1867 aged 38.
14. A small cross. James Bevington born 8.9.1870 died 20.9.1870.
15. Charlotte Augusta Brice born 13.12.1811 died 22.9.1862.
16. Sarah Sparkes died 29.6.1879 aged 54.
17. An altar tomb. On top. William Chapman died 4.5.1726 aged 78. Eleanor, his
wife died 26 February 1724 aged 82. Also William, their eldest son of this
parish died 2 July 1707 aged 26. Richard Chapman died 2.10.1729 aged 42. Edmund
Faunce Chapman, esquire, 5th son of James Chapman, esquire, of St Paul's Cray
Hill and for many years Secretary and Treasurer of the Island of Malta died
21.10.1822 in his 44th year.
North side. James Chapman, esquire, of St Paul's Cray Hill in this parish where
he was born on the 27th September O.S. in the year of our Lord 1730 and where he
died on the 4th February 1824.
East end. Maria Lydia, youngest daughter of James Chapman, esquire, and Jane his
wife born 4.6.1780 died 26.7.1790.
South side. Jane, wife of James Chapman, esquire, of St Paul's Cray Hill in this
parish and daughter of the Rev. Robert, M.A., rector of Rosminocul, Prebendary
of Tuam, she died 24 May 1820 in her 81st year.
18. An altar tomb. On top. In this vault are deposited the remains of Abdy Maw,
esquire, late major in the Army who departed this life March 26 1825 aged 84.
Also in memory of Charles Abdy Chapman, esquire, formerly a captain in the 19th
Regiment of Light Dragoons, fourth son of the late James Chapman, esquire, of
Paul's Cray Hill in this parish. Born 19.12.1775 died 18.10.1829.
North side. Charlotte Heatley, third daughter of James Chapman, esquire, of
Paul's Cray Hill and of Jane his wife. She was born 29.9.1774 and died unmarried
South side. Jane, eldest daughter of the late James Chapman, esquire, and of
Jane his wife of Paul's Cray Hill born 25.12.1768 died 20.5.1840. Also Martha
Chapman, youngest daughter of the late James Chapman, esquire, and of Jane his
wife of Paul's Cray Hill born 18.12.1778 died 15.9.1852.
19. An altar tomb. On top. Edward William Chapman, son of William Greenwood
Chapman, born 25 May 1841 died 1.2.1919. Also William Drummond Chapman, son of
William Greenwood Chapman born 11.11.1846 died 29.1.1917. Also Anthony William
Chapman, son of Edward William Chapman born 26.10.1884 died 26.6.1911.
South side. James Chapman of Paul's Cray Hill, esquire, obiit 3.7.1878 aetat 81.
Also Ellen his wife obiit 29.11.1903 aetat 90.
20. A cross. Arthur Chapman died 13.10.1918 aged 67.
21. A headstone now flat. Here lieth interred the body of William Hardstone of
this parish who departed this life October 11 1756 aged 56 years.
22. Charles Brooks died 22.6.1850 aged 43. Charlotte Brooks his wife died
28.5.1884 aged 70. Henry Brooks son of the above died 2.1.1843 aged 6 weeks.
23. Mr Thomas Nash of this parish died 1.3.1845 aged 44. Mary Nash, widow of the
above died 7.6.1852 aged 41. Thomas Nash son of the above died 24.10.1854 aged
24. A headstone now flat. In hopes &c. William son of Peter and Anne Bushby
died August 4 1733 aged 18. Also Anne wife of the above Peter Bushby who
departed this life November ye 2 1761 aged 68 years.
25. Morris Ewan Evans died 16.9.1849 aged 67. Maurice Edmund Evans son of the
above died the 7th of the same month aged 25 years. Also Margaret Evans daughter
of the above died 7.5.1888 aged 67.
26. Sarah Jane, wife of John Theodore Clemmison died 26.10.1880 aged 54. Also
John Theodore Clemmison died 16.7.1882 aged 59.
27. Elizabeth, wife of Mr Robert Talbot of this parish died 4.8.1826 aged 65.
Also Mr Robert Talbot died 4.11.1837 aged 76. Also Mr Henry Aillud died 1.1.1843
aged 50. Also Mary Ann his wife died 16.7.1862 aged 72.
28. A small cross. Verona Jane, infant daughter of William Henry and Caroline
Wiles died 27.7.1885 aged 5 months and 3 weeks.
29. An altar tomb. On top. Mary, wife of James Chapman, esquire, of Paul's Cray
Hill in this parish and daughter of the late William Greenwood, esquire, of
Hillingdon in the county of Middx. She died 6 September 1837 aged 75. James
Chapman, esquire, of Paul's Cray Hill died (?16) December 18(?45) aged 7(?8).
Also Mary Jane Chapman eldest daughter of the above James and Mary Chapman died
7 January 1867 aged 73, and her sister Anne Elizabeth Chapman who died 17.8.1880
East end. Mary Bessie, twin daughter of William Greenwood and Elizabeth
Catherine Hay Chapman born 20.12.1842 died 25.1.1844. Also Louisa Margaret her
twin sister died 20.6.1844
West end. William Greenwood Chapman of Paul's Cray Hill, esquire, died 23.6.1884
30. Here lieth the body of Richard Watts, tanner, of this parish who departed
this life November ye 10 1747 aged 41.
31. A cross. Edward Light died 28.11.1886 aged 16.
32. A headstone now flat. Margaret, wife of Edward Stone of this parish who died
June ye 7 1737 [sic] aged 44. Also in memory of their children lyeth interred
here. Also of Mathew, wife of Edward died November ye 5 1750 aged 59. Also of
Edward Stone died April ye 9 1760 aged 70.
Footstone M.S. 1733 [sic] 6 children M.S. 1750, E.S. 1766
(Perhaps 1733 refers to the 6 children - L.L.D.)
33. A flat stone. Henry Child, late of Dartford died September 25 1802 aged 32.
Also Edward (?Tho:) Child son of the above died November (?18) (?1824) aged
(?24). Also Mrs Ann Jane relict of the above said and eldest daughter of the
late Mr Edward Everest of this parish died July (?11) (?1846) aged 7(?8).
34. Thomas George Everest of St Paul's Cray Hill and late of Blackheath died
June 16 1883 aged 75. Martha his wife died 23 January 1883 aged 70
35. Mr Edward Everest died 24.2.1771 aged 66. Also two of his children, Edward
and Thomas who were early translated to a better state. Also Mrs Ann Everest
late of this parish who died 17 March 1782 aged 72.
36. Edward Everest died 19.6.1858 aged 89.
37. Elizabeth Everest late of this parish died 16.3.1792 aged 18 years. Edward
Everest died 6.3.1777 aged 9 months. Richard Everest died 25.3.1781 aged 14
months. John Rablus Everest died 17.3.1788 aged 6 months.
38. Mrs Elizabeth Everest, wife of Mr Edward Everest died 17.6.1811 aged 66. Mr
Edward Everest died 4.5.1822 aged 79. Mr Richard Everest brother of the above
died 7.9.1815 aged 57.
39. David Boorman died January 11 1865 aged 63. Erected by his daughter Emma
40. Edwin, beloved child of John and Catherine Tyrrell of St Mary's Cray died
25.12.1853 aged 2 years and 3 months. Edwin Tyrrell brother of the above died
30.10.1866 aged 7. Rose Tyrrell died in her infancy. Also their dear father John
Tyrrell born 4.4.1820 died 26.3.1903. Their dear mother Catherine Amelia Tyrrell
born 30.7.1823 died 31.3.1903.
41. William Hook died 1.8.1869 aged 53. William Hook son of the above died
19.12.1865 aged 25. Stephen Hook died 15.12.1879 aged 33 and is interred in
42. Thomas Pink died 6.7.1864 aged 65 having lived in service at Paul's Cray
Hill in this parish for 47 years a valued and well conducted servant.
43. Mary Peaton died 7.9.1857 aged 76. A faithful servant for more than 50
years of the late James Chapman, esquire, of Paul's Cray Hill in this parish.
By the West window of the South aisle
44. James Joyner died suddenly 14.11.1868 aged 50.
By the South aisle
45. George White died at St Paul's Cray 3.12.1879 aged 62. Solomon White son of
the above died 11.2.1873 aged (? either 14 or 44). Erected by the wife and
mother. Sarah White who died 18.8.1898 aged 76.
46. Charles son of Charles and Sarah Cripps of this parish died 22.6.1833 aged
19. The above Charles Cripps, senior, died 11.10.1850 aged 73. Sarah Cripps,
wife of the above died 1.2.1858 aged 76. Mary Elizabeth Best died 17.2.1891 aged
47. Mr James Cripps of this parish died 10.9.1805 aged ?59. Mrs Mary Cripps, his
wife died (?5) March 1806 aged (?51).
48. Harriet wife of Mr James Ashdown of this parish who after an illness of a
few days died 29.1.1814 in her 33rd year. (Exordium)
49. A cross. Addis Jackson died 10.7.1883 aged 71.
50. Eleanor Cockett, wife of Mr David Cockett of the parish of Greenwich born in
this parish June 2 1784 ....(?died) June (?5) 1818 (?).
51. A granite tomb. In tender remembrance of Harry Launcelot Booth who died in
infancy 5.4.1857. In memory of a devoted husband and good father Samuel Barker
Booth died 3.2.1881 in his 59th year. Mary his widow died 18.11.1894.
52. John Hollis late of the parish of St Mary Cray died 16.6.1779 aged 43.
Elizabeth Manclark, wife of Edward Manclark and relict of the above died
24.6.1819 aged 74.
53. A flat stone. Thomas Denis Devitre, seventh son of Lieutenant John Denis
Devitre of West Knoll in the county of Cumberland died 25.12.1825 aged 18.
By the East window of the South Aisle
54. An altar tomb. On top. Fanny, wife of John Simons of Camden Town, Middx.,
died 10.11.1832 aged 40. Also John Simons third son of the Rev. John Simons who
died 21.5.1871 aged 81.
South side. Daniel son of John and Fanny Simons died 13.6.1828 aged 8 months.
East end. Mary Anne daughter of John and Fanny Simons of Camden Town in the
parish of St Pancras, Middx., died 30.1.1825 aged 3 years.
55. An altar tomb. On top. Mary Anne, wife of the Rev. John Simons rector of
this parish who died 11.6.1800 in her 48th year. Also of Daniel Houghton son of
the Rev. John and the above Mary Anne Simons, Lieutenant in the Madras Cavalry
in the Honourable East India Company's service who died 8 September 1832 aged
24. Also Isabella second wife of the Rev. John Simons rector of this parish who
died 22.11.1831 aged 65. Also the Rev. John Simons, LL.B., born at Eton, Berks.,
September 2 1735 died 8 August 1836. For more than 57 years rector of this
South side. Elizabeth Mary wife of John Simons of Chesham in Bucks., born
8.10.1790 married 21.11.1811 died 22.1.1812.
East end. Mary Arabella, daughter of John Pearson, esquire, who died at the
Rectory in this parish 17.7.1810 aged 18.
West end. John son of Henry and Sarah Simons died 11.5.1811 aged 7 weeks.
56. A flat stone. In memory of John Tweeble? of this parish died 12 August ?1813
57. A cross. Frances Elizabeth Langdon died at Brighton January 15 1892 aged 79.
Daughter of the late Rev. G.H. Langdon rector of Burleston, Dorset.
58. An altar tomb. Mr Richard Chapman died 7.11.1811 in his 65 year. Also
Elizabeth, widow of the above Mr Richard Chapman died 29.3.1825 in her 69th
59. A flat stone. ......(?wife) of Richard Nash .... (16 lines illegible
apparently a eulogy - L.L.D.) (?date 17.180- in the 47th year of her age).
60. An altar tomb. Thomas Burnett, esquire, many years storekeeper of His
Majesty's Dockyard at Woolwich who died the 1(?3) of October 1821 aged 71. Also
Elizabeth ...... wife of the above who died at Exeter 20 of (?October 183?3)
aged 70 years. Also in memory of their three sons, Thomas Dickason Burnett,
Lieutenant in the Honourable East India Company's service who died in the East
Indies the 1? of October 1811 aged 31. George Stephens Burnett, Lieutenant in
the Royal Navy who died in the East Indies ?? September 1820 aged 29. Francis
Stephens Belcombe Burnett, Midshipman in the Royal Navy killed in an attack on a
fort at .... on the Red Sea on ?? December 182 (?0 or 9) aged 21 years.
61. A cross. Clara Hearn died November 26 1881 aged 1 year and 11 months.
Leonard Hearn died 25.3.1890 aged 2 years and 3 months.
62. Henry Hearn for some years churchwarden of this parish who died February 2
18(?5)6 aged 47. Elizabeth Hearn wife of the above died December 24 1882 aged
63. William Hearn of this parish died 26.3.1848 aged 79. Ann Hearn wife of the
above died 24.9.1848 aged 71.
64. Elizabeth, wife of Henry Hearn died 7.12.1892 aged 48. Henry Hearn, husband
of the above and for many years churchwarden of this parish died 23.6.1895 aged
65. A ragged cross. Archibald T.C. Heath born 21.8.1860 died 16.4.1880. Also
Thomas Heath died 10.4.1890 aged 62. Also Barbara Heath, wife of the above died
25.5.1902 aged 61.
66. Mary Ann, wife of the late James Archibald of Almer, Dorsetshire, died
2.10.1883 aged 89. Mary Ann Archibald died 26.12.1908 aged 87. Francis Slow
(daughter of the above) died 25.6.1909 aged 84.
67. A low granite tomb with raised cross and large curb. Sir Thomas Howland
Roberts, Bt., eldest son of Sir Walter Roberts, Bt., died 1.3.1864 aged 59. Dame
Anne Elliott, relict of Sir Thomas Howland Roberts, Bt., elder daughter of
Captain William Langdon died 10.11.1890 aged 73. Amy Martha second daughter of
Sir Walter Roberts, Bt., died 13.7.1878 aged 75. Edmund, eldest son of Rev. E.C.
Roberts, B.D., rector of this parish and second son of Sir Walter Roberts, Bt.,
died 24.11.1853 aged 15. Anne Gilbert relict of Rev. D. Perkins, D.D., vicar of
Dawlish, eldest daughter of Sir Walter Roberts, Bt., died 30.12.1881 aged 81.
Dame Catherine Hodgson relict of Sir Walter Roberts, Bt., eldest daughter of
Rev. E. Gilbert of Bodmin died 4.8.1853 aged 75. Colonel Sir Howland Roberts,
Bt., 12th and 5th Bt., born 2.9.1845 died 19.12.1917, second son of Sir T.H.
Roberts, Bt. Michael Theodore Roberts, M.A., second son of Rev. William Roberts,
M.A., S.F.T.C.D., died 9.6.1913 aged 60.
68. William Davies died 17.11.1876.
69. James Boxall died 28.8.1900 aged 48. Sarah Anne Boxall, wife of the above
died 12.3.1920 aged 66.
70. Mr Benjamin Chittock late of this parish died 5.12.1844 aged 80. Mrs Sarah
Chittock relict of the above died 13.4.1846 aged 71.
71. Mrs Susan Chittock died 30.11.1821 aged 98. She was the youngest daughter of
the first Rev. Dr. Stebbing of Gray's Inn and relict of the late Mr Benjamin
Chittock of Garboldisham in the county of Norfolk whose remains are there
72. Mrs Ann Wales, wife of Mr Richard Wales of this parish died 2.1.1822 aged
73. Susan Bone died 9.4.1886 aged 35.
74. Clara Elizabeth Beard born at Painswick December 16 1846 died at St Paul's
Cray July 2 1886.
75. Thomas Balls died 11.1.1896 aged 63. Rachel his wife died 19.3.1898 aged 62.
76. A cross. May Williamson died 12.6.1916 aged 18.
77. A small cross. Gertrude Lucie Elizabeth Brett died 9.2.1879 aged 28.
78. A cross. George Leopold Langdon, priest, rector of this parish died 2.1.1894
79. A cross. Louisa Elizabeth Reeks died May 24 1869 aged 75.
80. A small cross. Stella Kathleen Veysey died All Saints Day 1877 aged 7
81. A wooden cross. The inscription has gone but the text "The first born
of thy Sons shalt thou give unto the Lord" remains - L.L.D.
Three crosses under the East window of the North aisle.
82. Charles George Langdon, R.N., eldest son of the rector of this parish died
March 1 1871 aged 26.
83. Gilbert Henry Langdon died 12.4.1867 aged 13 years and 6 months.
84. Henrietta Marion Langdon died 22.4.1869 aged 19.
85. Archibald Turner died 6.8.1889 aged 5 years.
86. John Turner died 21.12.1904 aged 80. Anne wife of John Turner died 17.6.1905
87. A cross and flat stone. Mary Cecilia, wife of Richard Waring born 4.10.1800
died All Saints Day 1872. Walter Thomas Waring, son of Richard and Mary Cecilia
Waring died 21.10.1895. Richard Waring natus 21.5.1780 obiit 21.5.1868. Also
Harriet widow of Thomas Walter Waring born 17.2.1831 died 5.11.1907.
88. Hannah Higgott died at Marlings, St Paul's Cray Common, January 6 1877 in
her 83rd year.
89. John Epsom died 19.8.1864 aged 49. Mary wife of John Epsom died 6.5.1876
aged 58. Ann Prescott daughter of the above died 21.7.1880 aged 40. John Wormell
son-in-law died 23.5.1907 aged 63. Emma wife of the late John Wormell died
20.5.1911 aged 59.
90. A headstone now flat. Henry Dunmall of this parish died 2 August 1797 aged
68. Also two of his children who died in their infancy. (The right hand half
appears to be blank - L.L.D.)
91. A low tomb. Mrs Elizabeth Brooker late wife of Joseph Brooker of the parish
of Chelsfield and daughter of Joseph and Amy Chapman of this parish who died 8
December 1796 in her 34th year.
92. A flat stone. Amy Chapman daughter of Joseph and Amy Chapman of this parish
died ... 1780 aged .... years.
93. A stone now flat. Amy Chapman wife of Joseph Chapman died ?21 January 1800
aged 8- years. Joseph Chapman ... died ...March 1778 aged ?78. (Stone much worn
94. A flat stone by the North aisle. The beginning has all gone.....
Madgwick and daughter of Richard Gratwick ... she .... departed this life the 26
.... in the 5(?3) year. ..........
95. A cross headstone. George Rodwell died 16.4.1864 aged 56. Ann his wife died
19.12.1889 aged 75. Thomas Rodwell died 1.9.1901 aged 53.
96. A stone now flat. Here lieth interred the body of ?Whitehead ...
... parish ....mber 1771 aged ?4 years. Footstone A.W.1771.
97. Now flat. John Viner of this parish died 29 April 1773 aged 31.
98. George Day died 2.6.1811 aged 10 months.
99. Mr Joseph Dobinson died 24.3.1834 aged 59. He left issue four children,
Joseph, Frances, Sarah, Stephen and Mary Ann. Frances wife of Mr Bryan Day of
this parish died 26.3.1847 aged 52.
100. Mrs Elizabeth Dobinson wife of Mr Joseph Dobinson of Foots Cray died 5 June
1823 in her 59th year. Also Mrs Mary Pickersgill died 24.12.1823 aged 77.
101. Mr William Pickersgill late of this parish died 30.9.1790 aged 42. Also
Mary daughter of William and Mary Pickersgill died in infancy. Also William
Pickersgill son of the above died 19 May 1802 aged 26.
102. Richard Wells died 26.5.1878 aged 64. Leah his wife died 30.6.1883 aged 61.
103. David Small died 23.6.1893 aged 72. Frances Sarah Small his wife died
27.8.1910 aged 83.
104. Mary Scott born 21.4.1880 died 18.8.1916. Evelyn Mary, infant daughter of
John and Mary Scott of Chastleton, Bickley, born 26 April died 19 September
1872. John Scott of Elmstead Grange, Chislehurst, born 7.7.1845 died 22.1.1899.
105. Footstones. T.H. 181?4, F.H. 1808, S.H. 1810, R.M. 1804.
(The headstone, now flat, is now covered with turf - L.L.D.)
106. A cross. Thomas W.E. Davies, Captain, R.F.A., eldest son of William Davies
and husband of Lilian Davies died 20.5.1918 after three years serving in France
and 27 years in the Artillery, aged 46. Also Charles Augustus youngest son of
William Davies who was killed by lightning at St Mary Cray 16.4.1900 aged 22.
William Davies of Elm Bank, St Paul's Cray born 16.10.1837 died 28.8.1878.
107. A small cross with no legible inscription probably to a child.
108. James Tyrer died 17 December 1861 aged 7 months. Frederick John Tyrer died
27.2.1868 aged 1 year and 3 months.
109 A flat stone badly worn. Ann Wybourn died 2(?5) July 1748 aged 16 years. ...
Thomas and (?mother of the) above who died ?3rd March 176(?0) aged 52 years.
Nearby lies Thomas Wybourn, junior, who died ?1st February 1790. Also Letitia
Wybourn died 28 February 1811 aged 63.
110. L.W. 1811, J.W. 1819.
111. T.W. 1790.
112. T.W. 1761.
113. A.W. 1766.
114. Philip Jeal an old and respected parishioner died 16.1.1887 aged 80. Sarah
Elizabeth Jeal his wife died 28.11.1888 aged 77.
115. Elizabeth, sister of Richard Paterson of Leesons died 21.9.1880 aged 86.
116. Richard Paterson of Leesons died 8.3.1865 aged 73.
117. A monument. James Behrling, infant son of Archibald and Thérèse Ulrica
Bulloch of Lancaster Gate, London, born 14.5 died 10.8.1872. The above Archibald
Bulloch born 3.2.1827 died at Paris 26 January 1874 and is interred here.
118. A small cross. A baby's grave with no name - L.L.D.
119. Jonathan Young died 22.3.1874 aged ?68. Also Eliza Young his wife died
?November 25 1884 aged 72.
120. James Baker died 11.10.1868 aged ?40.