with index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
The Monumental Inscriptions in the
churchyard of Snave Church
Noted by Leland L. Duncan
Typed up by Dawn Weeks, checked by Zena Bamping
Churchyard south side
178. (Large altar tomb by porch) Mr Jacob
USHER of this parish died September ye 2 1717 aged 48 years. He left surviving
by Katharine his wife two daughters, Katharine and Mary. Jacob Usher dyd in 1703
aged 5 months.
179. Edwin PACKMAN of Snave died 24 August 1882 aged 59. Mary Ann his wife 23
April 1884 aged 68. Sarah Ann daughter of above 28 April 1885 aged 30. She was
wife of Alexander Packman.
180. Here lyeth interred ye body of Mary ye daughter of Mr Jho WRIGHT
and of Mary his wife died 16 March 1705 aged
181. (Flat tomb) John WRIGHT late of this parish. He had issue by Mary his wife
one son surviving. He died 14 April 1709 aged 49. Also Mr John Wright son of the
above who died 8 January 1763 aged 72. He left issue by Mary his wife 2
daughters Mary and Elizabeth wife of the Reverend [?Saml BAKER Rector
of Linsted. She died January 17 176(?4) aged 38. She left issue 3 sons and one
daughter: John Wright, Henry, Benjamin and Charlotte.
South side from porch westwards
182. Gam TILDEN died 1 February 1819 aged 85. Left surviving 3 children, one son
and 2 daughters. Erected by his 2 daughters: Elizabeth and Mary.
183. To our dear mother, Susanna GODDEN died 12 November 1892 aged 76.
184. Thomas GODDEN died 4 July 1876 aged 70, leaving a widow, 5 sons and 3
daughters. Erected in token of brotherly love by his friend and pastor Edward
185. Maria GODDEN, fifth daughter of Thomas and Susanna Godden, died 6 September
1880 aged 26.
186. Peter TICKNER of Stockbridge House, Snave, died 23 March 1876 in 84th
year. Left surviving his wife Maria, 3 sons and 2 daughters. Maria his wife died
23 September 1879 in her 90th year.
187. Peter TICKNER, son of Peter and Maria Tickner of this parish, died 31 March
1878 aged 55. Also Maria, sister of above and wife of William GLANVILLE of
Lewisham who died 11 February 1891 aged 69.
188. Sundial "Snave" (no name or date).
189. Richard FOORD, batchelor of this parish died 20 September 1825 aged 88.
Erected by Elizabeth ALLEN, nurse of the deceased.
190. Elizabeth wife of Richard ALLEN of this parish died 30 January 1830 aged
48. Left issue one daughter Elizabeth.
191. Martha wife of Francis AUSTEN of this parish, died 11 June 1865 aged 47.
192. Francis AUSTEN died 12 December 1884 aged 73.
193. Charles AUSTEN died 20 May 1830 aged 30.
194. James AUSTEN of this parish died 13 June 1912 aged 72. Leaving a widow and
3 daughters Leah Mary, Ada Harriett and Sophia Kate. Elizabeth widow of above
died 17 April 1914 aged 68.
195. Flora Anne Elizabeth wife of Frank PIALL and second daughter of James and
E. AUSTEN of Snave died 2 September 1887 aged 19.
North side of yard
196. Mary STRETTEN died 18 October 1862 aged 47.
197. David STRETTEN died 14 September 1848 aged 63. Left surviving a widow and 7
children, 3 sons and 4 daughters: Mary, Jane, George, Sarah, Ann, John and
Benjamin. Also 2 children died in infancy.
198. Sarah STRETTEN died 14 April 1873 aged 81.
Note: all the above three stones have verses which probably were written by Mr
Wilkinson the Rector.
199. Benjamin STRETTON died 29 November 1811 aged 69. Jane his wife 14 April
1818 aged 69. Also Edward, William, Thomas, Mary, Henry and Charles. Left
surviving Benjamin, John, Stephen, James, David and Elizabeth.
200. David STRETTON died 2 September 1826 aged 11 months.
201. George STRETTON died 11 November 1853 aged 34.
202. Jane STRETTON died 8 June 1871 aged 54.
203. Under the east window of the chancel is engraved "Restored 1873.
Edward WILKINSON Rector".
In the church
Hasted (Vol III p. ) states that there were slabs to the Brett family. Of these
there is now a slab forming the doorstep of the tower.
204. Here lyeth the body of Thomas / BRETT Esq who had to wife
the daughter of John
. Esq by whom he had fi
.. daughters of /
h he left surviving two /
205. The only memorial now in the church is a small marble slab which appears to
be modern and probably replaced some of those referred to by Hasted when the
church was renovated in 1873. It is inscribed: Thomas BRETT, Gent, and other
members of his family lie buried here September 28 AD 1674.
Index of Names and Places