A full transcription of the memorial
inscription found by Mr L.L.Duncan when visiting Shipbourne Churchyard, Kent, in
1923. These notes have been taken directly from his field notebook which he
compiled on site. Readers should bear in mind when reading this notes that Mr
Duncan was purely interested in the early memorials and not those of a late
Completed by Frank Bamping, 7 March 2001
The South Western area
1. Margaret, wife of Jonathan Richardson died 17.4.1857 aged 47.
2. William Blackman, late of Bridge Street, Southwark, died 21.2.1845 aged 59.
Susannah Blackman his wife died 24.4.1872 aged 78.
3. Ann Shelton, niece of Mrs William Blackman died 9.11.1864 in her 51st year.
4. John Blackman, son of Peter and Elizabeth Blackman of this parish died
1.4.1818 aged 59.
5. Thomas Blackman died 25.8.1835 aged 80. Jane his wife died 22.5.1817 aged 63.
They left issue two sons, William and Thomas.
6. Frederick Blackman son of Thomas and Caroline Blackman died 29.5.1847 aged
7. Peter Blackman of this parish died 9.3.1804 aged 86. Elizabeth Blackman his
wife died 6 December 1798 aged 73. They left issue three sons and one daughter.
8. Mary Ann Blackman, wife of Thomas Blackman died 29.9.1813 in her 26th year.
Left issue one son and two daughters; William, Sarah and Mary Ann.
9. Thomas Blackman died 15.5.1850 aged 61. An affectionate husband and father
&c. Caroline Blackman his wife died 20.12.1867 aged 78.
10. A flat stone. In a vault beneath are interred the remains of the three
daughters of John and Rachell Simpson of this parish who were suddenly taken of
[sic] by the scarlet fever, viz. Elizabeth Rachell died 13.10.1805 aged 9, Ann
died November 1 1805 aged 4 and Amelia died November 1 1805 aged 2 years.
11. Elizabeth Maria Moyce, widow of Henry Moyce of Bromley, Kent, who died at
Shipbourne 11.9.1873 aged 64.
12. William Moyce died 30.12.1851 aged 50. Edward Moyce died 10.7.1856 aged 58.
Remillion Moyce died 6.9.1865 aged 73.
13. Edward Moyce of this parish died 13.3.1810 aged 42. Mary Moyce his wife died
28.2.1848 aged 69. They left issue 5 sons and 4 daughters. Sarah Moyce died
8.5.1877 aged 69.
14. Portrait. Well cut. Ann the first wife of Henry Moyce of this parish died
October ye 11 1754 aged 25. Left issue one son and two daughters; viz. Henry,
Elizabeth and Ann.
15. John, son of Robert and Mary Torte of this parish died September ye 3 1765
16. James Torte of this parish died 5.7.1771 aged 42.
17. George ye sone of William and Mary Moris aged 15 years. 1725.
18. (1) H ... lie .... body (2) lyeth ... of Allis ... of Geo ..... July ye ...
aged 44 years. [? two halves of a mid 18th century memorial - L.L.D.]
19. William Bowra, son of Edward and Eliza Bowra died 2.6.1857 aged 4 years and
20. John Bellingham died 17.6.1786 aged 45.
21. Mr George Cripps died 6.11.1785 aged 30.
22. John Dutnal died 26.4.1776 aged 5 weeks.
23. Maria Rebecca Walter died June 5 17(?6)- aged 32 (?12 or 72).
24. John, son of William Hampson and Susanna Walter of Trench in the parish of
Tunbridge. He died February ye 8 1759 aged 21 months.
25. William Carier died 22.1.1796 aged 70. Mary his wife died 11.8.1797 aged 65.
They left issue a daughter Maria who married William Coleman.
26. A coped stone. William Timewell died 14.7.1874 aged 66. Mary Ann his wife
died 19.8.1874 aged 64. Arthur Thomas, second son of the above died at Westcliff
26.8.1906 aged 65. William and Mary Ann Timewell late of this parish and
formerly of Islington, London. Henry William Timewell, their eldest son died at
Durban, Natal, 2.9.1896 aged 61. Alfred, youngest son of the above died in
London on Christmas Day 1898 aged 54 and is buried at Abney Park.
27. Edmund Cocket late of this parish died 30.5.1761 aged 68.
28. Thomas Cockett died 22.5.anno domini 1730 aged 41. Eliza wife of Thomas
Cockett died 7.11.1755 aged 64. They left issue three daughters; Elizabeth, Mary
29. Martha, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Cockett of this parish died May ye
30 1737 aged 7 years.
30. William Bellingham died 11.12.1792 aged 7 years.
31. .... Ye body of Mary, daughter of John and Jane Bellingham
(date gone - 18th century - L.L.D.).
32. William Cripps late of this parish died 13.8.1767 aged 55. Lucy his wife
died 15.3.1778 aged 68. They left issue five sons and two daughters; viz. Edward
...... (the rest under grass. L.L.D.)
33. William son of William and Lucy Cripps died 26.5.1767 aged 29.
34. Thomas, son of Thomas and Mary Obee of this parish died 11 February 1769
35. Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Mary Obee ....... 1762 aged 9 ........ (stone
broken - L.L.D.).
South of the Church
36. Thomas, son of John and Rachel Simpson of this parish died in infancy
37. Rimmelton, wife of Richard Tharpe of this parish died 22.1.1768 aged 53.
38. Richard Tharpe late of Sevenoaks died 7.3.1785 aged 67.
39. Richard and Josias, sons of Richard and Rimmelton Tharpe of this parish
died; Richard 6.3.1749 aged 14 days and John 7 February 1756 aged 1 month.
40. Josias Tharpe died 19 February 1771 aged 88 years.
41. Mr William Bellingham of this parish died 21.7.1818 aged 78. Mrs Sarah
Bellingham wife of William Bellingham of this parish died 6.9.1800 aged 50. Left
issue eight children; William, Sarah, Jeremiah, Aaron, Henry, Philadelphia, John
and Rimmelion. Also Mary, Henry and Frances who died in infancy. Also Elizabeth
wife of Mr William Bellingham of this parish died 18.7.1825 aged 71.
42. William Latter ..... died August 13 1825 aged 66. He left two sons; William
and Thomas. (Right hand side left blank - L.L.D.)
43. James Collens, son of Henry and Ann Collens of this parish died 25.11.1807
44. Henry Collens of this parish died August 10 1807 aged 68. Ann Collens his
wife died February 20 1808 aged 64.
45. Nanny, wife of Henry Elliott of this parish died 9.5.1843 aged 64. Left
issue five sons and three daughters; Frances, James, David, Stephen, William,
Ann, Richard and Mary. Henry Elliott died 10.8.1848 aged 76. Stephen Elliott
died 31.8.1846 aged 39.
46. James Elliott died 18.7.1861 aged 60. Sarah Elliott his wife died 19.4.1872
47. Sarah Bellingham, daughter of Jeremiah and Lucy Bellingham of this parish
died 26.4.1820 aged 8. Also Harriet their daughter died 30.8.1823 aged 2.
48. Edward Boarer died 1.7.1875 aged 34.
49. A small cross, broken. Edward Skinner died 30.1.1870 aged 6 months. Albert
Owen Skinner died 1.2.1877 aged 6 days.
50. The flat top of an altar tomb. Two sunken panels on either side with a
skull. The ?mid 18th century inscription perished L.L.D.
51. Martha wife of Cuthbert Smith of London died 11 February 1718 aged 33.
Martha their daughter and wife of Robert Smith of London died 24 November 1764
52. Mr William Edlow late of Claygate in this parish died 19.12.1767 aged 68.
Mary his wife died September ye 21 1765 aged 73.
53. Thomas son of George and Elizabeth Jeffery of this parish died January ye 10
1773 aged 27.
54. Edward Jeffery son of George and Elizabeth Jeffery of this parish died 3
January 1780 in his 42nd year.
55. James Jeffery late of the parish of Sevenoaks died 9.5.1782 aged 34.
56. Thomas Hodges died 9.11.1854 aged 48.
57. Thomas Knight, senior, died December ye 18 1722 in his 58th year. Mary
Knight relict of Thomas Knight died 23.11.1743 aged 74.
58. Thomas Knight, junior, dyed May ye 4 1729 aged 31. He left issue two sons
and one daughter.
59. William Knight son of Thomas and Margrt [sic] Knight of Fairlawn. He died
June ye 6 1746 aged 15 years.
60. William Jeffery died 21.5.1855 aged 47. He left issue three children;
William, Frances and John.
61. William Jeffery of this parish died 14.12.1845 aged 73. He left issue three
children; William, Frances and Ann Susannah. Also Sussannah his wife died
17.3.1858 aged 74.
62. ..... lyeth .... of William son of Arthur and ...aris Woatoon. He dyed May
ye 17 1731 aged 19.
63. Richard Knight of Buds... who dyed December 11...?1706 aged 58. The rest of
the inscription is decayed except for 1724.
64. Jane Farrant ye wife of Richard Farrant. She was the daughter of Richard
...... [?Knight] of Buds who dyed .... 1724 aged 34.
65. Elizabeth wife of George Jeffery died November 28 1792 aged 85. George
Jeffery died May 11 1783 aged 74.
66. William Jeffery died 28.12.1790 aged 50. Frances his wife died 22.12.1812
aged 72. Left issue two children; William and Fanny.
67. Elizabeth Knight wife of Thomas Knight died 28.2.1746 aged 48. Left issue
six sons and two daughters.
68. The base of an old stone. ... e November 15 .... aged 50 years.
69. Ann, wife of Richard Sutton of Dartford and daughter of Thomas and Mary
Knight of Shipbourne died June ye 3 1741 in her 41 year. She left one only son,
Thomas by Thomas Dalton her first husband.
70. Emma, wife of Robert Roberts died 11.12.1866 aged 43. Also infant children.
71. A large stone with iron rails but no inscription.
72. Sarah wife of John Brooker died 1.4.1873 aged 84. Also John Brooker died
18.10.1874 aged 90.
73. A wooden rail. Sophia Marsh wife of John Marsh of this parish died 27.5.1833
aged 26. Left two sons and one daughter; John, William Bridger and Mary Ann.
74. William Shorter of this parish died 6.1.1819 aged 59. Also Elizabeth Shorter
his wife died 14.2.1830 aged 64. Also Sophia and Emma daughters of the above
William and Elizabeth Shorter. Left surviving issue three sons and six
daughters; Mary, William, Elizabeth, Thomas, James, Ann, Sarah, Susannah and
75. Charles Thorne died 12.3.1881 aged 55. Mary his wife died at Camden Road,
Tunbridge Wells, 3.9.1901 aged 75.
76. Sarah Fry died 19.7.1876 aged 75.
77. Ann Symonds died at Hookwood in this parish 29.5.1883 aged 75.
78. Small cross. Mary wife of James Crowhurst died 8.1.1882 aged 29.
79. Frank Baty died 22.4.1882 aged 41.
80. Jesse Cunningham died 9.4.1883 aged 21. Erected by his brother and sister.
81. Richard Bellingham died 28.5.1799 aged 88. Mary his wife died August 12 1795
82. An old low altar tomb. Here lyeth the body of Jeremiah Jonestone, Citsen and
Vintner of London. He departed this life June in 1728 aged 55 years.
East of the chancel
83. Let into the East wall. This church was rebuilt by -rle Christoper Lord at
his own proper charge in the year of our Lord 17-0. On a stone below. The above
stone was removed from the church erected by Lord Barnard and is preserved as a
memorial of the same.
84. Let into the East wall. This church was erected by Edward Cazalet, esquire,
of Fairlawn, and the memorial stone was laid by Mrs Edward Cazalet on the 24th
October A.D. 1879.
85. Harriett wife of Samuel Wheelhouse died 16.7.1869 aged 38. The above Samuel
Wheelhouse died 15.8.1877 aged 63.
86. Reuben Kinning, yeoman, formerly of this parish and late of Tunbridge died
2.3.1823 aged 48. Also Sarah Kinning his wife died February 9 1851 aged 82.
87. Reuben Thomas Dudson Kinning of this parish died 30.1.1829 aged 27. Sarah
Kinning his wife died 21.2.1873 aged 70.
88. Reuben Kinning, yeoman, formerly of Deptford but late of this parish died
2.4.1820 aged 84. Sarah his wife died 24.5.1829 aged 95.
89. A scroll. Sarah, daughter of R. and S. Woollett died 1.5.1857 aged 10 years.
90. Ann, daughter of Thomas and Martha Blatcher died August ye 1 1729 aged 11.
91. William Blatcher died 29.4.1864 aged 69. Sarah his wife died 13.12.1857 aged
The North churchyard
92. The War Memorial Cross.
93. Henry Winn for 39 years parish clerk of this place. This headstone is
erected by his fellow parishioners. He was born 4.6.1804 and died 19.2.1881.
94. Phebe ye wife of John Chapman died January ye 4 1733 aged 29.
95. Thomas Martin son of Henry and Mary Martin of 101, Crawford Street, London,
died 3.11.1849 aged 11. Albert son of the above died 13.2.1867 aged 23.
96. Henry Martin of this parish and 39, Baker Street, London, died 26.7.1866
aged 62. Mary Martin his wife died 17.11.1887 aged 84.
97. Charles Martin of this parish died 5.5.1873 aged 64.
98. James Martin of this parish died 8.1.1867 aged 71.
99. Sally Martin, daughter of James and Jane Martin of this parish died
30.1.1836 aged 35.
100. Mary Ann wife of Joseph Bayliss of the Borough of Southwark and daughter of
James Martin of this parish died 19.6.1826 aged 28. A dutiful daughter, an
affectionate wife and sincere friend. Also Mary Ann Bayliss daughter of the
above died in infancy.
101. Jane wife of James Martin of this parish died 27.11.1824 aged 61. The above
James Martin died December 17 1834 aged 68. Also John, George and Jeremiah
Martin sons of the above died in their infancy.
102. Ann daughter of William and Charlotte Cunningham of this parish died
9.6.1810 aged 19.
103. A wooden rail. William Older, husband of Sarah Older of this parish died
17.8.1840 aged 53. He left 5 sons and 2 daughters; John, William, James, George,
Henry, Elizabeth and Ann.
104. A narrow altar tomb. Mrs Margaret Sager, daughter of John and Mary Sager of
Mattin in the West Riding of Yorkshire, died 29.7.1840 in her 64th year.
105. Joseph Elliott of this parish died 29.12.1839 aged 84. Amy Elliott wife of
the above died 21.3.1811 aged 79.
106. Mr Joseph Elliott died 22.10.1806 aged 73. Mary Elliott his wife of this
parish died 3.5.1801 aged 74. They left issue 8 children; William, John,
Richard, Elizabeth, Thomas, Sally, Stephen and Henry.
107. William son of William Martin of Brockport in the United States of America
died 9.2.1863 aged 46.
108. James Martin of this parish, son of William Martin of Brookport in the U.S.
of A. died 20.7.1883 aged 62.
109. Albert, infant son of James and Mary Ellen Martin of Godden Green, Seal,
born 20.8.1885 died 19.6.1886.
110. Caroline Dines died 24.9.1862 aged 23.
111. Ann wife of Edward Dines died 18.3.1864 aged 62. The above Edward Dines
died 17.2.1888 aged 86.
112. A large, old altar tomb. South side.
Here lyeth the body of Margaret the wife of Stephen Fremblen and daughter of
Henry Colens who departed this life December ye 11 1732 in ye 58 year of her
North side. A.C. 1708 aged 20 years.
Top. Here lyeth the body of Stephen Fremblin of this parish. He departed this
life M[?arch] ye 22 1713 in the 75 year of his age. Here / lyeth ye body of
James / Edmeds who departed this life May the 22 1714 / aged 42 years who was
the / intired servant of Stephen / Fremblen who lost his life in / a dismal
manner to the / grief of all his friends [said to have been shot.]
113. William Collens of this parish died February ye 8 1797 in his 88th year.
Mary his wife died 26.11.1799 in her 71st year.
114. Rimmelion, daughter of William and Mary Collens of this parish died October
19 1767 aged ............ under grass.
115. Sarah daughter of William and Mary Collens died 16.1.1802 aged 52.
116. Henry Barrett of this parish died 13.2.1762 aged 35.
117. William Swan son of William and Alice Swan of this parish died 23.3.1864
118. Phillis Swan died 2.5.1863 aged 64. For 44 years the faithful servant of
the Dowager Countess Torrington.
119. Mary wife of William Lepper of Little Brington and third daughter of
William Main of East Haddon, Northamptonshire, died at Shipbourne 18.6.1872 aged
120. Coped tomb. Mary Wynne died 8.9.1878 aged 60.
121. George Willsher, son of Stephen and Sarah Willsher died 22.12.1835 aged 21.
John Willsher died 30.5.1838 aged 30.
Henry Willsher died 4.6.1846 aged 33.
122. Stephen Willsher of this parish died 12.3.1849 aged 72. Sarah, wife of the
above died 24.7.1866 aged 89. Left two sons and one daughter; Stephen, William
123. Mercy wife of George Sayer of this parish died 28.9.1846 aged 49. Also
Frances Mary, daughter of the above died 13.12.1846 aged 18. Erected as a
tribute of sisterly regard.
124. James, husband of Ellen Chalklin who died at Shipbourne 7.2.1879 aged 37.
Left one son, James Archibald.
125. Henry Barrett of this parish died 28.3.1816 aged 57. Ann Barrett his wife
died 19.1.1826 aged 63. Issue; six sons and three daughters; Richard, Henry,
William, George, Aaron, Jeremiah, Mary, Fanny and Elizabeth.
126. Henry Barrett of this parish died 8.6.1844 aged 58. Mary his wife and
daughter of William and Mary Goodsir of West Peckham died 2 October 1851 aged
127. Sarah Barrett, wife of William Barrett of this parish died 16 January 1831
aged 60. The above William Barrett died 24.2.1849 aged 87.
128. Elizabeth North, daughter of Henry and Ann Barrett of this parish died July
19 1837 aged 53.
129. William son of John and Catherine Barrett of this parish died 3.2.1812 aged
130. Mary Bellingham, daughter of James and Frances Bellingham of the parish of
Sevenoaks died 11.4.1810 aged 39.
131. James Bellingham died 14.4.1800 aged 58. Left Frances his wife and six
children; James, George, William, Frances, Mary and Ann.
132. Richard Barrett late of this parish died 2.2.1764 aged 35. Left issue by
Mary his wife five sons and four daughters.
133. Richard Barrett of this parish died 22.9.1743 aged 45. Sarah his wife died
11.1.1777 aged 73. Issue one son and one daughter; Richard and Sarah.
134. Sarah, daughter of Richard and Sarah Barrett died 2.7.1744 aged 14.
135. Jeremiah Cripps died 30.8.1849 aged 64. Ann his wife died 20.4.1853 aged
64. Jeremiah, son of the above died aged 6 months.
136. James Cork died 9.5.1893 at Hookwood Cottage aged 73.
137. Erected by Edward Cazalet in memory of Robert Arnold for 12 years head
gamekeeper on the Fairlawn Estate died at Fairlawn from the effects of a gun
shot wound accidentally received in the discharge of his duty. Born December 2
1819 died 10.11.1880 aged 61. Also Eliza Arnold his wife died 3.8.1885 aged 67.
138. Isabel wife of William Cheesman died 21.7.1898 aged 48. Frank George
Cheesman son of the above, a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Somerset Light Infantry
died of enteric fever at Bloemfontein 10.2.1901 aged 19.
139. Esther wife of Jonathan Carter died 21.2.1903 aged 65. Jonathan Carter died
25.3.1919 aged 78.
140. Harriett Hayes wife of George Hayes born 2.6.1843 died 21.4.1914. George
Stephen Hayes, husband of the above died 23.8.1918 aged 75.
141. A slab in curbs. Henry Diprose died 21.5.1908 aged 72. Maria his wife died
2.8.1910 aged 74. Charlie, son of the above died 19.4.1897 aged 18.
142. A slab in curbs. David Haylor died 18.3.1915 aged 85. A beloved husband
143. Julia Cripps died 16.4.1894 aged 73. William John Cripps, a Corporal in the
9th Lancers and grandson of the above was killed in action, Poplar Grove, South
Africa, 7.3.1900 aged 23. Henry Cripps son of the above interred 21.10.1896 aged
144. Thomas Fowler died 9.1.1886 aged 74. Caroline Augusta his wife died
12.9.1904 aged 89.
145. A cross by the North side of the church. John Yates died at Fairlawn
7.10.1837 aged 29.
Note: A few stones in the North West and North East, and stones in the
South part South of the path are not included being recent.
L.L.D. 3rd July 1923.
An index to the M.I.s in Shipbourne
Compiled by Zena Bamping