with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of St
James Church, Sheldwich Noted by Bax & Rice
Pages 122 to 127 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches
typed up by Margaret Broomfield
27 April 1897
Index of Names and Places
Interior of church
1. Tablet on the wall of S transept of grey and white marble arms
above In a vault on the East side of this chancel are deposited the
remains of William HILTON late of Faversham Gent. who departed this life
the 7th of February 1780 aged 68 years. Also Giles Hilton, his
son by Mary his wife who died the 4th of March 1765, aged 12
years. Also the said Mary Hilton died the 8th of March 1793
aged 84 years.
NB The 3 following are on the E wall of S transept.
2. White marble tablet and urn above on black marble. In Roman caps Sacred
to the memory of John HILTON Esq. late of this parish who died January 8th
1829 in the 76th year of his age. Also Eleanor wife of the
above John Hilton Esq. who died December 3rd 1835 in the 85th
year of her age. Longley Court?
3. White marble tablet upon grey. R. caps Sacred to the memory of Mrs.
Christian HILTON who died the 5th of March 1842 aged 87 years.
4. White marble tablet upon grey on a fringed hanging drapery bearing the
following inscription To the memory of Mary Eleanor daughter of John and
Eleanor HILTON of this parish who died June 23rd 1805 in the 15th
year of her age. Westmacott, London.
27 April 1897
Names in churchyard
5. Videon, Ellen, Gillmore, Muggleton and many others also some early
stones which I failed to copy for lack of time.
6a. AJ (near the priests door) arms above (rubbed) Here lieth interrd
the body of Giles HILTON late of this parish Gent who married Elizabeth ,
daughter of John Law late of ys parish by whom he had issue 4 sons and 4?
daughters of which 6 survived viz. John, William, Robert, Christina, Mary
and Elizabeth. He died October 13th 1717 aged 63/5 years. Also
interrd lies here M
.. son Giles died November 1723 aged 25 years,
1 daughter Elizabeth died October 13 1708 aged 2 years. (more very
6b. In the E pannel Here resteth the body of Giles HILTON Esq. late of
Lords in this parish who died March 11th 1865 aged 71 years.
Nothing in the other pannels, at the sides of the pannels are represented
scales, bones, scythes, hour glass, cherubs head.
7. High tomb (next to Hilton) In this vault are deposited the remains of
Elizabeth wife of Stephen COOK of the parish of Oare and daughter of Giles
Hilton of this parish Gent who died the 18th of December 1751
aged 35 years leaving issue one daughter. (No inscription in the other
pannels). On the top are 7 lines very indistinct. In this vault are
deposited the remains of Eliz
8. High tomb covered with moss and ivy (in the N pannel) Here repose the
mortal remains of Charles BROOKE Esq. of London he departed this life the
22nd of May 1833 aged 73. (In the S pannel) Here repose the
mortal remains of Elizabeth the wife of Charles Brooke, of London and
daughter of Bonnick and Elizabeth Lipyeatt late of Faversham. She departed
this life the 6th of November 1821 aged 57. Her death was
sudden: reader be always prepared.
9. HS Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth COBB of Faversham eldest daughter
of the late John and Mary Cobb of this parish. She died the 18th
of February 1827 in the 83rd year of her age.
10. HS To the memory of Mr. John COBB late of this parish who departed
this life the 29th of January 1811; aged 68 years. Also Dorothy
his wife who departed this life the 11th of December 1816; aged
11. HS To the memory of Mr. John COBB of this parish who departed this
life the 3rd of December 1786; aged 78 years. Also Mary his
wife who died the 18th of March 1805; aged 88 years.
12. HS To the memory of Mary daughter of John and Mary COBB of this parish
who died the 10th of October 1781; aged 31 years.
13. HS behind 1st to Cobbs all R. caps Sacred to the memory of
Dorothy COBB of Deal, third daughter of the late John and Dorothy Cobb of
this parish. She died July 28th 1849 aged 68 years. Also
Elizabeth Cobb of Deal 4th daughter of the above named John and
Dorothy Cobb. She died on the 25th of March 1860 aged 77 years.
29 April 1897
14. HS Here lye the bodies of John FRIEND and Joan his wife who lived
married fiftey years and had issue five sons and three daughters. He dyed
ye 17 of November 1713 aged 72. She was aged 82? dyed ye 20 of June 1706.
15. HS To the memory of Elizabeth wife of Thomas RAYNER late of the Town
who died November the 11th 1790 (or 6) aged 86 years.
16. HS Here lyeth buried the body of Anne SMITH wife of James Smith of
Oare in the county of Kent yeoman and doughter of John Laws of Sellwidge
in the said county yeoman who departed this life the 24 day of February
1711/12 and left issue two daughters viz. Elizabeth and Mary.
17. HS with cherubs head and good scroll work To the memory of John
HUMPHRY and Mary his wife of this parish. He died 12th January
1777 aged 73 years. She died 20 December 1755/72 aged 73 years. Also near
this place lies two of their children viz. William and Mary. William died
27 December 1769 aged 39 years. Mary died 17 October 1766 aged
18. HS To the memory of Thomas HOWTAND of this parish who died the 18th
of March 1813, aged 84 years. Also Elizabeth his daughter by Ann his wife
.. of June 1771 aged
. years. Leaving issue one son
and six daughters viz. William, Mary, Elizabeth and Sarah, Frances and
Susan. Ann Wife of the above named Thomas Howtand died the 23rd
of May 1831 aged 83 years.
19. HS To the memory of William HOWTAND of the
.. September 1796 aged
.. years. Also of Elizabeth wife
of the above William Howtand (?Howland) who departed this life
November 1816 aged 78 years.
20. Flat stone To the memory of Thomas HOWTAND of this parish who died
Howtand in this y
.second wife Elizabeth Humphr
died the 29 of November 1763 aged 80 years. [There is further
21. HS Here lyeth the body of Elizabeth FILLMER daughter of Robart and Ann
Fillmer who departed this life June the 10th 1720 (sunk).
22. HS To the memory of John READER late of the parish of Throwley,
Blacksmith. He died 24 January 1780 aged 66 years. Also Mary his wife she
died April 1st 1764 aged 60 years. Likewise Ann Maria their
daughter who died September 9th 1759 aged 16 years.
23. HS To the memory of John VIDEON of this parish, who departed this life
on the 5th of August 1826 aged 28 years. Also Jane Videon who
died June the 13th 1835 aged 32 years and Charles the infant
son of the above John Videon.
24. HS all caps. In memory of John VIDEON of this parish who died January
4th 1863 aged 93 years also Maria Videon daughter of the above
died August 27th 1864 in her 64th year. In memory of
Mary Ann wife of John Videon of this parish who departed this life on the
1st of May 1835 aged 65 years. A sudden change I in a moment
fell, I had not time to bid my friends farewell. Think nothing strange,
death happens unto all. My lot? today, tomorrow you may fall.
25. HS Here rests in the hope of a blessed Resurrection Sarah wife of
Charles VIDEON of this parish who departed this life May 7th
1860 aged 70 years. Oh sacred source of everlasting life, Conduct the
weary wandered in her flight. Direct her onward to that peaceful shore
when peril, pain, and death, prevail no more. Also the above named Charles
Videon who died September 15th 1861 aged 67 years.
26. HS (all caps) In memory of Frederick Videon who died January 3rd
1843 aged 38 years. Also Anna Maria daughter of the above who died October
9th 1846 aged 3 years and 9 months.
27. HS To the memory of John ROUSE the house carpenter who for hard labour
and honesty left none to exceed him. He was 78 years in this world and
departed the 9th of June 1769. A wits a feather and
a rod. An honest Mans the noblest work of God. Also Thomazin wife of John
Rouse who died the
. day of January 1786 aged 88 years.
28. HS Cherubs head, scull and bones In memory of John BURTON
blacksmith of Bal
who departed this life the 3 day of March
1793 in the 23rd year of his age. [There is further
COBB 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
HILTON 1, 2, 3, 4, 6a, 6b, 7
HOWTAND 18, 19, 20
VIDEON 5, 23, 24, 25, 26
Faversham 8, 9, 15
Longley Court? 2
Longley Faversham 3
Oare 7, 16
Westmacott, London 4
Blacksmith 22, 28
house carpenter 27
For details about the advantages of membership of the
Kent Archaeological Society click
to Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back
Kent Archaeological Society is a
registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is
constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other
researchers will be to gratefullyreceived so that we can amend our
pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too firstname.lastname@example.org