KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage


Sandwich, St Bartholomew with Index of names and places at end

Back to Churchyards listed

Some Monumental Inscriptions of Sandwich, St Bartholomew HospitalNoted by Bax & Rice May 1892

                                                             Page 79 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches typed up by Margaret Broomfield

Also some information about St Bartholomew's  Noted by Rev Bryan Faussett in 1760, added 1st April 2007

Also some Monumental Inscriptions  Noted by Zechariah Cozens about 1795, added 7th August 2008

Churchyard
1. In affectionate remembrance of Mary HADLOW who died 15th September 1878 aged 84 years. Her end was peace.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also some information about St Bartholomew's  Noted by Rev Bryan Faussett in 1760, added 1st April 2007

Kindly typed up for the website by Pat Tritton

Funeral Inscriptions at St Bartholomew’s Hospital near Sandwich 1760.
* For some Particulars relating to this Hospital, see Lewis’s Thanet. P. 202, 203.

2.  This Church has nothing remarkable in it, except a Figure of a Man, at full Length, on an Altar Tomb, under the Arch between the Great and North Chancells. Some People imagine it to be SIMON de SANDWICH, the Founder of this Hospital. There is, at present, neither Inscription nor Coat Armour on this Tomb, by which any Thing can be discover’d.

3.  The Floor of The Great Chancell is almost coverd with Old Flat Stones, whose Inscriptions are all gone. They have, most of them been inlaid. The only Inscription, now remaining, in this Church (or Chappel, call it wch. You will) is on a Flat Stone, in ye N. Chancell; and is as follows.

4.  2. Here lieth The Body of Thomas SPARKE, School Master, and Brother of this Hospital, who exchanged a pious and exemplary Life, for a happy Death July 31 1657.

5.  It consists of The Chancell – North and South Ditto, Body, and North & South Isles. In a small wooden kind of Steeple, at ye West End of the S. Isle, hangs 1 Small Bell without Inscription.

6.  On The Right Hand of The Road, just as You enter Sandwich from Deale, are some Roman (as they seem) Tumuli. On the Right Hand of the Road, as You go out of Sandwich, towards Ash (just without ye Towne) are are
(sic) 2 more. The Windmill stands upon one of them.

7.  And, in a Meadow on ye Left Hand, about a Mile nearer to Ash, is another.

8.  The Gallows, at Sandwich, stands also on a Tumulus.

9.  Roman Coins re continually found, in and about Sandwich, from AUGUSTUS quite down to ye very Dreggs of ye Lower Empire.

10.  For somewhat more with Regard to Sandwich see WEEVER. Fol. 263.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also some Monumental Inscriptions  Noted by Zechariah Cozens about 1795, added 7th August 2008

Kindly typed up for the website by Pat Tritton

11. The next parish to Sandwich on the Southward, at about a quarter of a mile from the latter place, we arrive at Saint Bartholomew’s Hospital; a noble charity for the maintenance of sixteen Brothers and Sisters, as the objects of it are denominated: each of them has a comfortable house and sufficient garden-ground, with a salary and perquisites equal in the whole to twenty five pounds a year. About the center of the site stands the Chapel which is a decent building of two ailes; on the Northernmost of which is a small turret, containing one small bell in it.

Epitaphs.
12. On a rail over a tomb, on which lies the Effigie of a man in chain armour, his hands closed in prayer; a large triangular plain shield covering his body, is the following Inscription though, probably, hyperbolical, as on examination it appeared to be a Cenotaph to the memory of a great benefactor to this Hospital: Sr. Henry SANDWICH. Here lieth Sr. Henry Sandwich, Knight and Sr. Nicholas Sandwich his Son.

13. On a plain stone in the North aile is: Here lieth ye body of Thomas SPARKE. School Master & Brother of ye Hospitall who exchanged ys. Life for an happy Death July 31st 1657.

The whole of this Charity is under the management of the Mayor and Jurats of Sandwich: who was the founder of it does not appear; and for a particular account of it, we must refer the reader to Boys’s History of Sandwich, page 1.

Index of Names
Names Index
HADLOW 1
SANDWICH 2, 12
SPARKE 4, 13

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back to Churchyards Listed       Back to Library and Visual Records        Back to Research         Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003,
added 1st April 2007, added to again 7th September 2008

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk