with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Rainham
Noted by Bax & Rice Thursday Tuesday 3rd May
Pages 88 to 92 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches
typed up by Margaret Broomfield
1. HS To the memory of Mr. Henry ELVY of this parish died 26th
September 1800 aged 51 years. Also of Mary relict of the above Mr.
Henry Elvy who died 13th of July 1824 aged 77 years.
2. HS ancient – an hourglass depicted Here lyeth ye body of Edmond
son of Henry and Elizabeth ELVY who dyed November ye 5 1708 aged two
3. HS very rough delineation of a face (drawing) Her………./Interr………./of
Fra………./wife of M………./and daugh……….(flaked off), /of
Aug………./parish Gent………./December ye………./1720……….Aged
4. HS Two cherub’s heads with wings, scull Here lieth interred the
body of Mr. Thomas LANE of this parish who departed this life August
19th 1746 aged 63 years. Left issue one son.
5. HS Two cherub’s facing one another winged In memory of Martha
wife of John CROCKER of Chatham, who died 16th May 1756
6. High tomb (in the N pannel) Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Ann
FOWLE wife of Mr. John Fowle of this parish who departed this life
September 13th 1799 aged 85 years. Left issue five sons and
two daughters. Also Edward son of the above died March 1st
1800 aged 5 years. Likewise George their son died November 2nd
1800 aged 11 years. Also Elizabeth Ann their daughter died June 29th
1803/5 aged 18 years. [Nothing apparent on the top or other sides].
7. HS To the memory of Thomas ASHDOWN who died the 3rd Day
of October 1807 aged 61 years. He was twenty five years Bailiff to
John Fowle Esq. May ……… discharge of the duties of his station
on earth obtain for his eternal reward from his master in heaven.
8. HS In memory of Catherine KNIGHT wife of John Knight of Upchurch
who died March 11th 1862 aged 74 years.
9. HS To the memory of Cecilia wife of John KNIGHT of Upchurch who
departed this life December the 20 1800 aged 35 years. Left issue 7
children 4 sons and 3 daughters. Also the above John Knight who died
the 4th of January 1831 aged 62 years.
10. HS Fanny ATHERDEN died October 7th 1819 aged 5 weeks.
11. High tomb In memory of Mr. Joseph KNIGHT who died 20 March 1829
aged 90 years. And of Mary his wife aged 83 years (sic) after
surviving him one month they together sustained the changes and
chances of this mortal life in the above relation for 63 years. Also
near this spot lieth great grandchildren of the above. Mary Ann
Simmons died 21 October 1831 aged 26 years. Elizabeth Simmons died 6
November 1855 aged …. years. Joseph Simmons died 1 December 1856
aged …… years. Annemaria his wife died 31 August 1856 aged 33
12. (Drawing) Here lyeth ye body of Will SCOTT who died January ye 28th
1726 aged 66 years. Elizabeth wife of William Scott died March ye 27
1736 aged 77. Henry …………Here lie ye bodies of John, William,
Elizabeth and Fraunces sons and daughters of William Scott by
Elizabeth his wife. John died June 3rd 1692 aged 8 months.
William August 25th 1699 5 years. Elizabeth August 22nd
1701 4 months. Fraunces wif of John Smit of Bridger (broken).
13. HS Here lies ye body of Elizabeth BRETT of this parish who died
March ye 3rd 1727 aged 75 years.
14. Here lyeth body of William TILDEN of this parish who died November
29th 1718 aged 36 years. Also ye body of Eliza his wife she
died November ye 2nd 1755 aged ……. years. Also John and
Elizabeth their son and daughter interr’d here. Left surviving 2
sons William and James.
15. HS In memory of Susanna the wife of Luke MILES of this parish who
died the 13th December 1760 aged 43 years. Also three of
their children and like wife James Skinner her brother Mary daughter
of James and Susanna Miles died the 2nd of June 1781 aged 5
years and …. months. Luke Miles died the 2nd of February
1798 aged ……….. (sunk).
16. To the memory of James MILES of this parish, yeoman, who died the
14th of February 1796 aged 49 years. Also two of his
children viz. Mary and Luke infants. Also Sarah wife of the above
departed this life the 15th of June 1811 aged 59 years.
17. NB There are more modern "Miles" stones.
18. HS In memory of Martin son of John and Ann CAMP of this parish who
died December the 2nd 1786 aged 1 year and 6 months. Also
Sarah wife of William Rayner and daughter of John and Elizabeth Camp
died August the 12th 1787 aged 28 years. Left issue one
19. HS Sacred to the memory of Mr. James RIPPOTH who departed this
life August 4th 1779 aged 59 years. Left issue two
daughters and one son. Also Mr. James Rippoth son of the above (who
was lost from on board the Hyaena Frigate at sea) May 22nd
1801 aged 30 years. Also Ann the wife of the above who died April 3rd
1820 aged 76 years.
20. HS In memory of Robert FREDERICK of this parish who died the 1st
of March 1764 aged 64 years. Also Ann wife of the above Robert
Frederick who died May the 1st 1783 aged 73 years.
21. High tomb (nothing on top: in the West pannel) Also near this
place lyeth ye body of Elizabeth HARLO….mother, who died June 1714
aged about 70 years. (In the N pannel) Also here lyeth ye body of
Elizabeth Harlock second wife of Mr. William Harlock and daughter of
Stephen Barfoot of Nettlested who departed this life May the 27th
1719 in the 48th year of her age. (In the S pannel) William
Harlock yeoman who departed J….. 11 1715 aged 3……. (In the E
pannel)(perhaps) the body of Sus……….. aged 31 years.
22. HS Elaborate decoration Near this place are deposited the remains
of William TWOPPENY (sic) of Blowers Place in this parish and Ann his
wife. She died 6th January 1738 aged 47 years. He died 2nd
April 1750 aged 56 years.
23. HS Here lieth ye body of Mary ye wife of William LUCKHURST who
departed this life August/April 8? 1704 aged 32 years.
24. HS Here lieth ye body of John CUTALL who departed this life Aprill?
ye 7 1705 aged 96 years. And daughters.
25. High tomb In memory of Mrs. Elizabeth HUNT wife of Mr. Daniel Hunt
of the parish of St. M……. Bartheston who died ….. April 1769
aged 74 years. Also of Mr. Daniel Hunt died 19? November 1772 aged
…… years. (nothing on the sides of tomb).
26. There are 3 other high tombs but where writing exists it requires
a special light to decipher it.
27. HS Primitive "cutting" of a face Here lie ye body of
Thomas SCUBBER of Bamber, Fisherm.. who departed this life January ye
11 1704 aged 29.
28. From Rainham Parish Register 3 May 1897. Rev. C. Cobb, Vicar
1624 Iho fil Richard Bax March 16
1626 John fil Richard Bax July 9
1663 Anna filia Johannis et Mirriam Backs December 29
1666 Elizabeth Bax the daughter of John bapt the 18th of
1667 Mary Bax the daughter of John Bax baptiz the 16 of October
1671 John Bax the sonne of John and Mary baptiz 5th of
November to 1682
1686 August 29 Elizabeth daughter of John Bax and Sarah
1687.8 January 8 John son of John Bax and Sarah
1689 April 19 William sonn of John Bax and Sarah
[Searched bapts only to 1715].
Index of Names and Places
ELVY 1, 2
FOWLE 6, 7
KNIGHT 8, 9, 11
MILES 15, 16, 17
Blowers Place 22
Upchurch 8, 9
Frigate, Hyaena 19
Parish Register 28
yeoman 16, 21
For details about the advantages of membership of
the Kent Archaeological Society click
to Churchyards Listed To
Library and Visual Records To
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is
constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other
researchers will be to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible.
Please send details too email@example.com