KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage


Preston by Wingham with Index of names and places at end

Back to Churchyards listed

Some Monumental Inscriptions of Preston by Wingham Church,  Noted by Rev Bryan Faussett noted 1760

Kindly typed up for the website by Pat Tritton

In The Chancell.
1. On a Monument on the N. Wall. Hic situs est Vir Reverendus Pastor hujus Ecclesiae dignissimus Henricus WADDELL Naturâ, facili, modesta, fideli; Moribus bonis, simplicibus, incorruptus; In Clerici Munere obenndo, sedulus ac vigilans; Legis Christianae, quam peritè explicabat, Cultor ipse studiosus: cum quâ, ut et aliorum Mores congruerent, et sui summâ non sine Voluptate, laboravit. Nec, sanè, absimilem Vitae Rationem instituit Vir ille egregius, ac piè munificus Robertus WYBORNE; cujus copiosissimâ in hanc Vicariam Largitione, primus Hic idq dignissimè fruebatur. Par, enim, in utroque, Numinis Reverentia. Par erat promovendae Pietatis, Cura. Fas, igitur, sit, carissima eorum Nomina, simul ac Landes in Posteritatis Exemplum Hoc Marmore eodem, commemorare. Obijt 16 Julij 1729. Aetat: 41.

2. One flat stone without Inscription.

In The North Chancell.
3. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth interred The Body of John RAYNOLDS the elder, Yeoman, who died the 14th Day of December Anno Dom. 1630.

In The South Isle.
4. On an Altar Tomb, against The South Wall. Here lyeth The Body of Ann HOUGHAM, Daughter of Edward JOY – who died A.D. 1677 Anno Aetatis 55.

5. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth The Body of Michael HOUGHAM, Son of Henry Housham who died A.D. 1679. Anno Aetatis 61.

6. This Church consists of the Great, and North, Chancells; The Body, and 2 Side Isles. In the Steeple, which stands at the West End of the Body, hang 5 Bells, all made by R. PHELPS, 1712.

In The Church Yard.
7. Altar Tombs, for HARISON, 1676 AND 1678. PEMBROKE of Canterbury 1731 and 1752. PETT 1657 – and 2 Others, wch. seem very anct. without Inscription. Headstones, etc. for ALLEN, ANDREW, BROWN, ELSTED, JOHNSON, KNIGHT, MOOR, PARAMORE, RICHARDSON, SHRUBSOLE, WIDGMAR and WRAITH.

8. This Church was dedicated to St. Mildred. It is in the Patronage of the Church of Canterbury.

9. The present Vicar is The Revd. Mr Peter VALAVINE 1760.

10. In a Gravel Pit, in this Parish, near Golder’s Bridge, some Silver Coins, as Harris informs us, were found by one TIDDEMAN, a Quaker … but he does not say, of what sort, or when they were discover’d.

Index of Names and Places

Names Index
ALLEN 7
ANDREW 7
BROWN 7
ELSTED 7
HARISON 7
HOUGHAM 4, 5
JOHNSON 7
JOY 4

KNIGHT 7
MOOR 7
PARAMORE 7
PEMBROKE 7
PHELPS 6
RAITH 7
RAYNOLDS 3
RICHARDSON 7

SHRUBSOLE 7
TIDDEMAN 10
VALAVINE 9
WADDELL 1
WIDGMAR 7
WYBORNE 2
General
Quaker 10

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back to Churchyards Listed       Back to Library and Visual Records        Back to Research         Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 30th May 2008

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk