with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Preston
near Faversham Church, Noted by Bax & Rice May
Pages 132-137 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches
typed up by Margaret Broomfield
Interior of church
Index of Names and Places
1. Oval tablet in square grey marble an urn above Sacred to the memory of
Eleanor GREENSTREET late of Selling in this County. She departed this life
the 12th of January 1802 aged 86 years.
2. On a white marble below the other and affixed to it And of Charles
GREENSTREET their son late of Faversham, Gent, who died the 12th
of April 1815 aged 77 years.
3. HS In memory of Agnes TERRY daughter of Thomas and Agnes Greensted who
died September the 22nd 1842 aged 7 months.
Stones under the E. window of church
4. HS To the memory of Edward SAMPER of the parish of Tinstead who died
the 9th of August 1786 aged 76 years. Also Elizabeth wife of
Edward Samper who died the 5th of May 1788 aged 53 years.
5. HS Cherub’s head and wings Here lieth interr’d the body of Mr.
Thomas GREENSTREET late of ye parish of Norton, yeoman, who died 22nd
May 1763 aged 59 years. His neece Elizabeth Greenstreet caused this to be
erected to his memory.
6. HS scull and bones on either side Here lieth interr’d ye body of John
GREENSTREET, grocer and son of Henry and Ann Greenstreet of this parish.
He died August ye 25th 1732 aged 22 years.
7. HS, scull and bones as No. 4 (6) Here lieth interr’d ye body of Ann
wife of Nicholas (sic) KNIGHT of Chering and daughter of Henry and Ann
Greenstreet of this parish she died November ye 9th 1729 aged
8. Double HS Torch, trumpet, wreath, a hideous cherub’s head and wings
Here lieth interr’d the body of Henry GREENSTREET of this parish who
died October the 1st 1732 aged 69 years. Here lieth intirred
(sic) the body of Ann Greenstreet the wife of Henry Greenstreet, yeoman of
this parish who departed this life the 12th day of November
1719 aged 52 and left behind her one daughter and three sons.
9. Double HS. 5 sculls, coffin lid, hourglass, bones Here lyeth ye body of
Elizabeth second wife of James BERRY late of this parish she died June 8th
1694 aged 28 years, who left issue 2 children James and Ann Berry. Here
lyeth buried the body of James Berry of this parish yeoman. He departed
this life June 7th 1693 aged 40 years and 3 months. Here also
lyeth interr’d ye body of James Berry of ye parish of Faversham, Deal
merchant, son of ye above laid James Berry and Ann his wife he departed
this life July ye 24th 1753 in ye 63 year of his age.
10. HS Cherub’s head winged, trumpets, sunflower In memory of Elizabeth
BUNCE? who departed this life November the 16 1763 aged 53 years.
11. HS Three very repulsive sculls In hopes of a joyful resurrection here
lye ye bodies of John and Susanna SIMMONS late of Queen Court in Ospringe.
She departed this life July 9th 1743 in her 65th
year. He August 20 1746 in his 64th (sic). Near them lye seven
children John and Susanna only surviving them.
12. High tomb. On the top Here lieth interred the body of Ann BROOKE wife
of Edward Brooke of Faversham who departed this life February 11th
1755 aged 62 years. Here also lies the body of Edward Brooke who departed
this life March the 31 1768 aged 78 years. In memory of Giles Hilton Esq.,
of Preston House son of Thomas Gibbs Hilton Esq., of Selling in this
County died the 24th of March 1867 aged 88 years. (nothing in
E, W or S pannels). On the N. side all R caps. In memory of Mary wife of
Giles Hilton Esq., of Preston House and daughter of John Shepherd Esq. of
Faversham who departed this life the 2nd of March 1814 aged 35
years. Also of Sarah wife of Giles Hilton, Esq., and daughter of Captain
Jacob Waller R.N. of Sandwich who departed this life the 7th of
March 1854 aged 69 years.
13. HS Three sculls Here lies interr’d ye body of Edward BROOKE son of
Edward and Ann Brooke of Faversham, Grocer. He departed this life the 18
of February 1738 aged 22 years. Near this place lies also the bodies of 4
children of the above laid Edward and Ann Brooke which (sunk).
14. Here resteth the bodye of John GREENESTREETE of Preston. Hee departed
this life ye 8 day of January 1666.
15. Back of HS No. 11 (13) to Edward Brooke Here also lyeth the body of
Robert BROOKE who departed this life May 1741 aged 10 years 11 months.
4 May 1897
16. HS In memory of William OVENDEN of this parish who departed this life
the 8th of April 1759/39 aged 69/39 years. Also Mary wife of
William Ovenden of Boughton under Blean who departed this life the 23 of
December 1801 aged 75 years.
17. HS Two sculls, coffin lid Here lyeth ye body of Ann wife of William
OVENDEN of this parish. She died September 9th 1730/50 aged 35
years also two children Joseph died June 17 1726/28, Susanna who died
September 28 1730 being both 6 months old. Here also lyeth Mary second
wife of William Ovenden. She died January 22nd 1745/6 aged 55
years also 8 of their children lye near this place Viz. John, William,
Phillip, Mary, John, Susannah, Susannah.
18. HS To the memory of William OVENDEN formerly of this parish who died
the 8th of June 1813 aged 73 years.
19. HS In memory of Richard FULLER who died 17 of June 1775 in the 75th
year of his age (many more lines).
20. Tablet affixed to N wall of chancel (outside) all R. caps. In memory
of John SHEPHERD of Faversham esquire who died December XII MDCCCCIX: aged
LXXXI and of Elizabeth Frances his relict daughter of the late John Smith
of Faversham esquire who died October XXX MDCCCCXXXXII aged LXXXXXXXIV.
21. Second tablet In memory of Ann, third daughter of the late John
SHEPHERD esquire who died February VI MDCCCXXVI aged XLVIII also Frances
eldest daughter of the above named John Shepherd esquire who died March 22nd
(sic) 1850 (sic) aged 81 years.
22. HS Sacred to the memory of John HOGBEN Gent. who died the 4 of August
1805 aged 80 years.
23. HS To the memory of Margaret wife of John Hogben Gent. who died the 16th
of December 1813 aged 81 years. 2 lines.
T A.P. 1779
HS M.P. 1779
25. HS Cherub’s head In memory of William PLANE late of Clixfield in the
parish of Lingsted and son of William Plane of this parish. He died
November the 9th 1765/3 aged 56 years. There are more HSS.
26. Flat stone – rubbing of arms – modern Edward J. HILTON Esq. eldest
son of Giles Hilton Esq. of Preston House died January 8th 1862
aged 55 years.
27. Flat stone, floriated cross, "Rejoicing in hope" round the
edge. In memory of Charles Jones HILTON, third son of Giles Hilton Esq. of
Preston House born 15th December 1809 died 19th July
BROOKE 12, 13, 15
GREENSTREET 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8
HILTON 12, 26, 27
HOGBEN 22, 23
OVENDEN 16, 17, 18
T A.P 24
SHEPHERD 12, 20, 21
Boughton under Blean 16
Clixfield, Lingsted 25
Faversham 2, 9, 20, 12, 13
Preston House 12, 26, 27
Queen Court, Ospringe 11
Deal merchant 9
Grocer 6, 12
yeoman 5, 9
For details about the advantages of membership of the
Kent Archaeological Society click
to Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is constructed
by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be
to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible.
Please send details too firstname.lastname@example.org