with Index of
names and places at end
to Churchyards listed
The Monumental Inscriptions in the
churchyard of Paddlesworth Church
to Leland L. Duncan
by Fred. C. WARRINGTON, September 1891.
Transcribed and typed up by Christine Pantrey
Also some Monumental Inscriptions Noted
by Rev Bryan Faussett noted 1758,
added 17th March 2008
Inscriptions in the Churchyard at
1. Richard LAWES late of Shutters feeld, died 20th February
1822 aged 61. Also Elizabeth his wife, died 28th January 1841 aged
2. Edward LAWES of Dane, died April 1886 aged 76.
3. John HARNETT late of this parish, died 24th August 1801 aged 60
4. Thomas PILCHER, born at Arpinge December 21st 1800 died at
Hawkinge March 25th 1883.
5. William RIDDEN late of this parish, died 6th November 1803 aged
68. Also Susannah wife of above, died 28th July 1836 aged 84. Also
Susannah their only daughter, wife of Thomas PILCHER died October 8th
1829 . Their only remaining daughter Mary wife of John PREBBLE…… (Rest
6. Thomas PILCHER late of Arpinge Farm died January 10th 1837 aged
74. Also Susannah his wife died October 8th 1829 aged 57, and of
their undermentioned sons and daughters:
Mildred died June 9th 1825 aged 9./ Mary " March 20th
1830 " 29. / Stephen " August 2nd 1837 " 41./
Jessey " January 20th 1843 " 40? / Rachel
" March 6th 1844 " 30./ Ann " May 2nd 1853
Bayley " November 24th 1853 " 33./ John " August 29th
1862 " 57. / William " February 24th 1864 " 56./
Susanna " January 9th 1865 " 66.
7. Sarah Bates died October 7th 1845 aged 34. Died in the United
States of America.
8. Stephen Moreland KETTLE died August 24th 1840 aged 81. Also Ann
wife of above died December 20th 1847 aged 85. Also James Kettle son
of above, died January 29th 1876 aged 71. Also Harriett wife of above
James Kettle died June 11th 1883 aged 82.
9. Robert MARCH of Cold Farm died August 6th 1877 aged 69.
10. Harriet wife of Robert MARCH died November 29th 1849 aged 39.
Henrietta PILCHER her twin sister died August 29th 1842 aged 32.
11. Sarah wife of James BAILEY late of Hougham died September 10th
1883 aged 58.
12. Nicholas HOGBEN for many years of White Hall in the parish of Folkestone,
died July 19th 1882 aged 63. Also Ann wife of above died June 22nd
1883 aged 54.
13. Samuel HOOD died at Gibraltar, Uphill, Folkestone, June 8th 1884
14. Fanny RIGDEN died at Wootton, July 1st 1885 aged 27.
15. Two others near East end of Chancel illegible (old).
End of Paddlesworth
Given by Fred. C. WARRINGTON, September 1891.
I visited Paddlesworth 5th October 1891 L. E. D.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - -
Also some Monumental Inscriptions
Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1758, added 17th March 2008
16. This Church, which is very
small, and shamefully out of Repair, consists only of the Chancell, and Body.
17. It has neither Altar Peice, nor Font; but, instead of the Latter, is a large
Stone (placed on a Larger, by Way of Base) on which the Old Font formerly stood,
which serves to set ye Bason upon.
18. It has no Steeple; but a small crack’t Bell hangs near the Top of the
Roof, at ye West End. It seems to have an Inscription upon it, which, however,
for Want of a Ladder, I could not get at.
19. In the Body, are 2 very ancient Flat Stones, without Inscription. 1 of them
has a Cross Fleury raised on it.
20. A Round Arch, and Pillasters, between the Chancell and the Body; and a round
Arch, and carved Pillaster, at ye Outside of the South Door, shew it to be a
very Ancient Building.
21. This Church was dedicated to St. Oswald. It is a Chapel of Ease to Lyminge.
22. The Present Chaplain is Mr. Ralph PRICE. (See
Secker Visn. 1758, III. No.183).
Index of Names and