Mary. Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah and Catherine.
On the side of the above tomb is -
In memory of
35. James son of James and Ellen Russell of
Petham Court who died August 28th 1856 aged 15 months. Also Vincent son of the above
who died May 10th 1859 aged 3 weeks. Also Emily daughter of the above who died January 25th 1867 aged 21 months.
Also in memory of Elizabeth wife of George
Russell of Plumstead who died February 26th 1867 aged
31 years. Also of James Russell who died January 24th 1880 aged 39 years. On the West end is -
In memory of / Robert Russell / born November
26th 1812 / died May 2nd 1889 / aged 76.
Stones near the North Wall of the Church - To the East of the Porch -
36. John Scott and Duncan Scott the beloved
children of Lieut. Colonel Wm. L. STEWART and Eliza his wife who died at Milton
next Gravesend the former on the 26th July 1865 aged 5 months, the latter on 30
November of the same year aged 4 years 6 months.
By the North Transept -
37. Mrs Dorothy MASON died 8 June 1806 aged 75
years. Also Mr George Mason son of the above died 5 October 1808 aged 53 years.
In the angle between the North transept and
the South wall of the chancel -
38. Charles COLYER died 15 August 1815 aged 75
years. Also Sarah his wife died 23 November 1834 aged 63 years.
An altar tomb (situated as the last) -
39. Henry KNIGHT of this parish, miller, died
1 March 1724 in his 40th year. And Ann his wife died 5 December 1765. Born May
8th 1691. Also Henry, William, Mary and Ursula the sons and daughters of Henry
and Anne Knight who died infants.
Tombstones on the North side of the churchyard
between the paths leading from the North East and South East gates -
beginning at the Church Porch and going
40. Elizabeth LEWIS died 30 May 1885 aged 49
41. Dixon TREADWELL son of William and Jane
Treadwell died 11 September 1843 aged 1 year. Also George died 28 December 1846
aged 16 years.
An altar tomb - (Top)
42. Mrs Mary POPE wife of Mr Jacob Pope of
this Parish died 16 April 1748 aged 70. Also the above Mr Jacob Pope died 19
April 1748 aged 65. J.P. an infant of the above. Wm. Pope son of the above obiit
June 1760 aet 55. Mary Pope wife of Wm.Pope obit February 1788. Wm. Pope and
John Pope sons of Wm. and Mary Pope ob. the former in January 1780 aet 49 and
the latter in February 1779 aet 44. Mary Killick and Elizabeth Hainsworth
daughters of Wm. and Mary Pope ob. the former in August 1776 aet 29 and the
latter in July 1768 at 24. W.P. son of Wm. Pope obit January 1786 aged 29. T.P.,
J.P., M.P., S.P. & C.P. infants of Wm. Pope. W.K. son of Mary Killick obiit
September 1776 at 11 years. Also A. & M. Robins infants. Mary Pope died the
4 of June 1794 aged 57. Josiah Wittner son of Wm. and Elizabeth Wittner died
November 25 1794 aged 9 weeks and 4 days. Mary wife of R.B. Pope died July 27
1801 aged 48. On the South Side -
Sarah Castle wife of Laurence Castle died
August 31 1814 aged 75. Mr Jacob Pope died September 5 1825 aged 92 years.
43. Mr Richard PINK late of this Parish died 4
December 1815 aged 63.
44. Mrs Mary PINK died 11 May 1830 aged 76.
45. Parental tribute to the memory of Margaret
daughter of Richard and Mary PINK died 12 March 1795 aged 4 years.
46. An altar tomb - [with a drawing of a coat
of arms] Here lyeth the Body of Mr William LANE junior who departed this life October
10th 1729 aged 54 Here also lyes the Body of Joyce wife of William Lane who departed this life February
11th 1737 aged 65 years On the North side - here also lieth the body of / Margaret wife of
John BURCHELL / Linnen Draper of London and / youngest daughter of William and /
Joyce Lane died 8th December 1737 / aged 24. On the South side - Here also lies the body of / William son of
William and Joyce Lane / who died in his infancy / June 1718.
Head stone -
47. William LANE senior died September 1st
1705 aged 64. Also Margaret wife of Wm. Lane senior dyed October 10th 1727 aged
48. Richard MUGGERIDGE died 6 November 1767
aged 47. Also Elizabeth Muggeridge wife of the above died 22 February 1786 aged
Altar tomb - on the North side -
49. James HACKET died 7 June 1722 aged 61,
also Jane Hacket his wife died 3 April 1725 aged 49. On the Here also lieth ye bo... (stone chipped
away) South side wife of John H..... died September ye 8th 17.... years also 2 Infants ...... & Sarah
50. William JOHNSON of East Greenwhich died 2
July 1765 aged 30. Also Elizabeth wife of William Johnson who died 4 June 1760
aged 31. She was daughter of Richard and Elizabeth MUGGERIDGE of this parish.
51. Elizabeth wife of Elias SIMMONDS and
daughter of William and Elizabeth JOHNSON died 30 October 1822 aged 63.
52. Elizabeth wife of John J. DIGBY died 22
January 1865 aged 29. Also her sister Sabra BICKNELL died 2 July 1854 aged 19.
53. John DAVIGE of this parish died 22 April
1775 aged 75
54. Elizabeth DAVIDGE died 2 July 1788 aged
55. Henry WELLER of this parish died 16
November 1771 aged 63.
56. Headstone [with a drawing of a coat of arms] - ?
Bathurst Hic Jacet Josephus FLETCHER nuper de St. Pauli Cemeterii Armigeri Obiit duodecimo die Octobris Anno
Tricesimo secundo aetatis suae Anno Salutis MDCCXXXII
57. Mr William EVEREST of this parish died 23
August 1836 in his 51st year. Also Maria Everest relict of the above died 29
February 1840 in her 36th year. Erected by her children.
58. Mr William BRABAN of this parish died 19
June 1763 aged 65. Also Joanna Braban his wife died 11 September 1779 aged 68.
59. Mrs Eleanor BRABAN late of Marylebone,
Middlesex, died 25 May 1808 aged 58.
60. Mrs Ann CARPENTER died 25 March 1796 aged
61. Mr William BRABAN of this parish died 30
January 1789 aged 69. Also Elizabeth daughter of the above died 28 February 1766
aged 17. Also Mrs Mary Braban wife of the above William Braban died 2 June 1809
62. Mr Joseph MARSHALL late of Pall Mall,
London, died 27 July 1795 aged 43.
63. Mrs Sarah MARSHAL wife of Joseph Marshal
died 9 January 1823 in 66th year.
A large cross
64. Edward CRESY, architect, elder son of the
late Edward Cresy of Holmsdale House in this Parish. He was 23 years an officer
of the Metropolitan Board of Works. Died 13 October 1870 aged 45. Also Mary
Louis Cresy his widow died 23 March 1888.
65. An altar tomb of red brick bearing coat of
arms [drawing] - Here lyeth interred the body of Mr William LANE one of the Youman of the Gret Chamber
to King Charles the Forst of Blessed Memory & to King Charles the second whoe departed this
Life the 1st of December 1677 Aetatus Sue 62.
Altar tomb - on top -
66. Mrs Elizabeth TURNOR wife of Richard Turnor of Erith gent. deceased and only child
of William Lane late of this parish gent. who was one of the Yeomen of the Great Chamber both to /King Charles the First and 2nd. / She died 11
August 1711 / aged 50 / Also Mr William Turnor / their younger son died 2
December 1730 / aged 19 years / Also Mrs Mary TASKER wife of / Mr John Tasker of
Dartford / and younger daughter of the said / Richard and Elizabeth Turnor /
died 13 December 1744 aged 54 / Also of John Tasker Esq. of / Francks in this
parish died July 6th / 1796 aged 76. Also of Anne / relict of the above John
Tasker Esq. / died 16 November 1814 aged 75.
On the North side - Also of Henry son of Henry / GALE Esq. and
Mary his wife died 25 September 1795 aged 14. On the South side - Also of Mary daughter of Henry Gale / Esq. of
Franks in this parish / and Mary his wife died July 9th 1794 aged 15 years.
67. Alice DRIVER late wife of Martin Driver of
the parish of Dartford and daughter of John and Alice Lane of this parish who
died 27 May 1768 aged 62. Also Sarah Lane died 26 August 1770 aged 61.
68. Alice LANE wife of John Lane died 13
December 1750 aged 68. John Lane, wheelwright, of this parish died 26 July 1754
69. Burchell OUGHTON. Born 11 April 1835 died
8 July 1887. A loving tribute from Pupils and friends to a man greatly beloved.
70. Mr William GRETTILL of this parish died 1
April 1799 aged 73. Also Mrs Ann Grettill wife of the above died 7 November 1803
71. Thomas MILLER of this parish died 4
September 1756 aged 63.
The following are close against the East wall of the churchyard.
72. Amelia wife of Thomas MIDDLETON died 2
November 1885 aged 52.
73. Lilly MIDDLETON died 17 August 1880 aged
17 years 5 months.
74. Thomas MIDDLETON died 15 July 1880 aged
75. Anne wife of Frederick MIDDLETON died 4
December 1881 aged 24.
76. Sarah BROOKER sister of Mary BELL died
A.D. 1803 aged 23.
A large granite monument -
77. Margaret wife of A.O. GREIG of Kirby Hall,
Horton Kirby, died 30 January 1869 aged 44. Also Alexander Ochterlony Greig born
19 November 1809 died 15 December 1876. Also Margaret Blenheim Ochterlony THORNE
daughter of the aforesaid Alexr. & Margaret Greig and wife of
Augustus Thorne born 20 February 1847 died 26 February 1879.
78. Elizabeth wife of James PARKINSON died 12
February 1888 aged 56.
79. William BELL for 43 years clerk of this
parish who died 20 May 1859 aged 87. Also Mary Bell his wife died 17 March 1834
aged 61. And 3 sons and 3 daughters children of the above.
80. Eliza wife of Samuel KITE of this parish
died 18 September 1874 aged 58. Samuel son of the above who was drowned in the
river Darenth 15 July 1852 aged 10. Also Caroline infant daughter of Charles and
Caroline Kite, R.A. who died at Nusseerabad, Bombay, East Indies, 17 July 1872
aged 3 Months 18 days. Also Samuel Kite died at Wilmington 13 February 1879 aged
71. Erected by the surviving families.
Stones by the East wall of the chancel
81. John BANNISTER, gentleman, many years
resident in this parish. Eldest son of Thomas Bannister, gent., formerly of
Sittingbourne in this County, died 7 February 1813 aged 76.
82. Charlotte BANNISTER wife of John Bannister
of this parish for 36 years died 16 December 1805 aged 60.
83. Frances HAYES of Bolton 24 years a nurse
in the family of W. TRISTRAM of St. Margaret's, Esq., died 26 March 1878 aged
84. John STEDMAN, gent., late of Peckham,
Surrey, died 8 August 1827 in his 73rd year. Also Elizabeth his wife died 12 May
1839 aged 82.
85. Jane HALL died 29 June 1872 aged 86.
Servant 65 years in the family of John Joseph SKILBECK of Highbury and Pinden.
Also Ann MILLER died 27 October 1878 nearly 50 years servant in the above
In the North side of the Churchyard beginning
at the West and working Eastwards.
By the West Door -
86. Thomas NATT once Clerk of this Parish died
25 April 1704 aged 61.
87. Anne POWER widow of Tyrone Power who
perished in the Steamship President in 1841. Born 5 June 1794 died 7 May
Altar tomb - on the side -
88. In memory of / Maria wife of Rev George
RASHLEIGH, Vicar of this Parish / died 18 November 1858 aged 68 / Also of the
Rev George Rashleigh, M.A. / 55 years Vicar of this Parish and also 46 years /
Rector of Lower Hardres in this County / who died 19 of February 1874 / in the
90th year of his age.
On the end - In memory of / James / youngest son of the /
Rev H.B. Rashleigh /and Sara Maria his wife / Born July 29 1864 Died November 7
1870. (George Burvill Rashleigh was
a barrister, eldest son of the Rev. Henry Burvill Rashleigh, vicar of Horton
Kirby (where several generations were incumbents) - he married in 1882 Ekith
Louisa Mary Bligh, born 1853, eldest dau. of the 6th. Earl of Darnley. She died
1904, and he marr. secondly 1907 Isabella Mary dau. of Thos. Fred. Hill Alms of
Coombury, Bodmin. He died in 1916. Geoff Copus 12-9-2007)
On the other end - In memory of / Frances / eldest daughter of
the / Rev. Peter Rashleigh / Rector of Southfleet / Died November 5 1859 / aged
89. James Charles HALE, M.A., Rector of Castle
Camps, Cambs. Born 28 August 1840 died 22 December 1878.
90. Lothair WELLS son of W. & B. Wells
died 30 January 1879 aged 3 weeks.
91. Henry FRIEND died 28 September 1878 aged
Flat Cross -
92. Mona, child of Leonard and Katherine Allen
SHUTER died 15 June 1887 aged 4½ years.
93. James HENRY died 27 March 1883 aged 23.
94. Edward TYLER died 23 February 1886 aged
Card in a glass case -
95. Alfred BOOKER died 18 June 1889 aged 62.
A cross -
96. Jane Agnes Margaret, youngest daughter of
Robert & Margaret HORSBURGH born 14 October 1877 died 6 April 1886.
97. Henry PEARCH died 1 November 1878 aged 34.
From here notes taken 26 July 1890 and some
others seen and corrected. L.L.D.
Altar tomb -
98. Mr Charles TATNER died February 19 1808
aged 79. Elizabeth Tatner widow of the above died February 28 1817 aged 73.
Cards in a box -
99. Elizabeth Mary infant daughter of
Alexander and Eliza HENDERSON died at South Darenth Sunday August 1 1886 aged 10
months. Robert infant son of the above died March 22 1890 aged 8 months, at
Head cross -
100. Elizabeth Lane MUGGERIDGE born April 7
1829. Died December 27 1868. Also Easter Muggeridge died February 5 1881 aged
101. Ann VINK of this Parish died July 12 1858
102. Mr John MUGGERIDGE of this Parish died
September 27 1850 aged 55. Also Mary his wife died 2 March 1854 aged 54.
Altar tomb - on the top -
103. Lydia wife of William MUGGERIDGE of this
Parish and daughter of Robert and Mary RUSSELL of the same place, Yeoman, died
28 September 1791 aged 52. Also William Lane Muggeridge son of William and Ann
Muggeridge and grandson of the above died 8 May 1799 aged 9 years. Also the
above said William Muggeridge senior died 28 April 1801 aged 61. Also William
Muggeridge of this Parish only son of the above died 30 November 1827 aged 63.
Also Ann wife of the last named William Muggeridge died 30 November 1847 aged
83. Also George Muggeridge son of the above named William and Ann Muggeridge
died January 15 1876 aged 72. On the South side -
Here are also the remains of four infant
granddaughters of the above last named William Muggeridge viz Emma Wilks, Jane
Lane Muggeridge, Mary Muggeridge and Joyce Muggeridge. On the North side - Mary De Bie relict of John De Bie and daughter
of the above William and Ann Muggeridge died 11 December 1880 aged 82.
104. Thomas PRICE of this parish died 26 March
1802 aged 23.
105. David William ROGERS died April 1 1885
aged 6 years. Also Lillian Emily Rogers died March 29 1885 aged 1 year.
Altar tomb within iron railings -
106. Thomas WILLIAMS, gent. In his Profession
of the Law distinguished by Zeal and Integrity and in his retirement by Piety,
Humanity and Friendship. He died 9 December 1800 aged 76. Also Mrs Joyce
Williams, relict of the above, died 12 April 1801 aged 89. Also in this Vault
are deposited the remains of the Reverend Richard Williams (only surviving
brother of the above named Thomas Williams) late of Christs College Cambridge
A.M. Many years Vicar of this Parish and one of his Majesty's Justices of the
Peace for this County. In discharging the duties of his Sacred Function he was
correct and exemplary, as a Magistrate active and upright. He died 15 September
1801 aged 55. Likewise Mrs Sarah Williams Relict of the above Reverend Richard
Williams. She died 1 July 1814 aged 67.
Headstone[with a drawing of a coat of arms]
107. Here lieth the Body of ye Reverend Mr William HOPKINS Late Vicar of this Parish
who departed this Life ye 31st day of October 1742 Aged 68 years.
108. Rosa Matilda VINK formerly of this Parish
died June 8 1886 aged 57.
109. Mrs Elizabeth ROGERS wife of Mr William
Rogers of this Parish died 28 June 1824 aged 57. Also George son of the above
died 14 February 1806 aged 2 years.
Card in a case -
110. Frank James husband of Ruth HOWARD died
15 May 1887 aged 34.
111. Alice TREADWELL wife of James Treadwell
died at Pinden Farm January 21 1875 aged 52, after a long and painful illness.
Also Mary Ann daughter of the above died August 29 1872 aged 3 months.
112. Marion eldest daughter of George and
Elizabeth DRUNNOND born October 22 1865 died April 19 1888.
Card in a case -
113. Alfred Edwin SPANNER aged 15 years died
May 27 1888. From his loving Mother.
114. Emily wife of William WHIFFIN died August
12 1889 aged 21 years. Buried August 18.
115. George HUNTLEY died February 7 1889 in
his 53rd year.
116. William HUNTLEY died 20 July 1884 aged
117. Hannah HUNTLEY died June 1855 aged 20
years. Also Nevill Huntley died August 12 1843 aged 3 years.
18. T.W. 1834.
119. Martin BARRAUD late of this Parish died
28 June 1832 in his 45th year.
Altar tomb -
120. Nicholas RAY late of this Parish died
November 6 1826 aged 74. Leaving 5 sons and 3 daughters. Also Hannah Susannah
wife of Richard Ray died April 1 1844 aged 64. Joseph NICHOLSON died March 25
1845 aged 74. Also Philip Ray son of Nicholas Ray died March 30 1849 aged 69.
Also James Nicholson youngest son of the above died August 12 1848 aged 38. Also
Nicholas son of Nicholas Ray died July 3 1853 aged 72. Also James son of
Nicholas Ray died August 8 1853 aged 66. Also Richard son of Nicholas Ray died
February 22 1856 aged 79. Also Mary relict of Joseph Nicholson died March 16
1857 aged 79. Also John son of Nicholas Ray died March 3 1860 aged 74. Also
Frederick Ray eldest son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Ray (late of Franks) died
April l9 1867 aged 50. Also Elizabeth Ray widow of Nicholas Ray late of Franks
in this Parish died March 30 1868 aged 76. Also Frank youngest son of the late
Nicholas Ray of this Parish died March 9 1870 aged 37.
121. Mary wife of Philip RAY of this Parish
died January 5 1822 aged 36.
122. William RAY died 30 October 1808 aged 34,
leaving Hellen his wife and two children viz William and Hellen.
123. Elizabeth wife of Johs RAY of
this Parish died 30 August 1797 aged 48. Left issue one daughter - Mary.
124. Sarah wife of Nicholas RAY of this Parish
died March 9 1795 aged 45. Left issue 7 sons and 3 daughters viz William,
Richard, Philip, Nicholas, Thomas, John, James, Sally, Mary and Letitia.
125. Emma wife of Richard RAY of Camberwell
Green, Surrey, died June 24 1869 aged 33.
126. Frank Maidlow RAY, youngest son of Frank
& Harriett Ray died August 17 1870 aged 15 months.
127. Sarah widow of James RAY of this Parish
died July 9 1877 in his [sic] 83rd year.
128. Elizabeth wife of Philip RAY of this
parish died April 11 1840 aged 53.
129. Margaret Eliza, second daughter of
Richard and Dinah Mary NICHOLSON died December 11 1855 aged 12 years.
130. Mary Parfect DIVE died August 18 1848.
(No age given)
Large monument with urn on the top -
131. The family vault of Josiah ROLLS,
Esquire, Pennis House, Fawkham, Kent. A.D. 1862. On the North side - Josiah Robert Rolls, Esquire, Captain of H.M.
24th & late of H.M. 94th Regiments died at Pennis House, Fawkham, February
22 1862 aged 24.
On the West end - Eliza, 2nd daughter of Josiah Rolls, Esq.,
died March 17 1866 in her 37th year, wife of Edwin Richard BREMBRIDGE, Esquire,
of South Darenth who also died on 1 December 1865. On the South side - Helen wife of Josiah Rolls of Pennis House,
Fawkham, died 14 January 1870 in her 61st year. Josiah Rolls. esq., died at
Athol House, Gravesend, 20 January 1880 aged 78.
132. Mary Ann WOOD daughter of John and Ann
Wood of Dartford, Kent, died 1 September 1843 in her 19th year. Also John Wood,
brother of the above died September 11 1843 in his 16th year. Also Ann Wood wife
of John Wood and mother of the above died 11 February 1851 in her 49th year.
133. Beneath are the Infant Remains of Mary
daughter of Captain WEBLEY (of the Royal Navy) died 26 August 1808 aged 5 months
and 10 days.
134. Richard Allen son of Richard and Mary
RUSSELL born June 4 1881 died July 30 1884.
135. William ACCLETON died September 26 1875
aged 63. Also John GREEN died August 19 1862 aged 23. Also William Accleton died
August 30 1883 aged 63.
136. Edward CRESY of this Parish - an
architect whose quick parts and unwearied industry might have placed him
foremost among his fellows but life was to him a sea of troubles yet he found in
the ardent and disinterested study of his profession a shield which the stings
and arrows of outrageous fortune failed to pierce - he ceased working November
12 1858 aged 66. Also Eliza Cresy wife of the above died January 3 1877 aged 73
years 11 months.
Headstone of white marble
137. Theodore Grant CRESY, surgeon, younger
son of Edward Crescy[sic] of this parish. Born at Paris February 25 1830 died at
Gravesend February 14 1881.
138. William THOMPSON of South Darenth died
September 2 1878 aged 77.
Altar tomb - near the North East gate -