with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Herne
Church, Noted by Bax & Rice May
Pages 96 to 106 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches
typed up by Margaret Broomfield
Names in churchyard
1. White, Collard, Reynolds, Fairman, Glover, Hutt (1757), Cotton,
Hilder 1809 1813, Ewell of Hearn 1700, Sladden (several), Tassell,
Cook, Ashbee early in NE part, late in NW part, Claden of Herne
Stones on N side.
2. 1 skull and foliage work Here lieth the body of Elizabeth daughter
of Thomas and Margaret WHITE, wife of Thomas Vandepeer was born June
ye 23rd 1703 and died February 9th 1741. Mary ye
daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Vandepeer was born September 9th
1740 and died November 11 1749. Left one son Thomas surviving he was
born July 24th 1733.
3. 2 double HS three sculls, bones etc. Here lieth ye body of John
WHITE son of Thomas & Margaret White. He departed this life
November 27th 1739 aged 34 years.
Here lieth ye body of Thomas White son of Thomas and Margaret White.
He departed this life September 14th 1739 aged 23 years.
4. HS In memory of Robert TRITTON of this parish who departed this
life April 1 1797 aged 72 years. Also of Mary his wife who died
October 22nd 1783 aged 73 years. She left issue by her
former husband John Collard three sons and two daughters Thomas,
Elizabeth, John, Margaret and Henry, an indulgent wife, a tender
mother, hospitable to all her friends and acquaintance.
5. HS 2 sculls, crossbones Here lieth buried the body of Margaret ye
wife of Thomas WHITE of this parish who had issue 2 sons and 2
daughters. She departed this life April ye 5th 1725 in ye
45 year of her age.
6. HS 2 sculls, 3 hourglasses (2 laid side ways), bones etc. Here
lieth the body of Thomas WHITE of this parish who had issue by
*Elizabeth his *[NB Elizabeth is cut over "Margt"] wife 2
sons and 2 daughters viz. Elizabeth, John, Mary and Thomas of whom one
daughter Mary surviving and wife of John Collard who died January 10th
1746 aged 73 years.
7. HS 2 sculls, cherub’s between In memory of John COLLARD of this
parish who departed this life January 18th 1758 aged 47
years and left issue by Mary his wife 3 sons and 2 daughters viz.
Thomas, Elizabeth, Ino…, Margaret and Henry. All ye that pass this
way along behold how sudden I was gone. As God to me short time did
give take constant care how ye do live.
8. HS In memory of Martha daughter of John and Martha COLLARD of this
parish who died October 12th 1787 aged 19 years. Oh! shade
revered this frail memorial take: Tis all alas thy sorrowing friends
can make this clay cold shrine ye corps enshrouded here this holly
hillock bath’d with many a tear, those kindred flowers that on thy
bosom grow, fed with the precious dust which lies below ee’n those
rude brambles which embrace thy head and this green sod that forms the
sacred bed, are richer, dearer, to thy parents heart than all the
monuments of proudest art. Also of five other children of the above
John and Martha, Robert died March 25th 1773 aged 3 years,
Thomas died December 25th 1773 aged 8 months, Margaret died
October 21st 1774 aged 3 years, Sarah died July 18th
1783 aged 3 months, James died June 21 1784 aged 2 months.
9. HS cherub’s head and wings, scroll work Here lyeth the body of
Mrs. Elizabeth BING widow of the late Mr. John Bing who departed this
life the 22 day of April 1756 aged 75 years.
10. HS scull and bones Here lieth the body of John BING of this parish
who died the 15th of October 1752 aged 60 years.
11. HS In memory of Frances daughter of William CURLING and Char……
Hilton who died March 2…… aged 9 year
12. Double HS Here lieth ye body of Thomas EGERTON late of this
parish. He departed this life ye 11 day of August 1727 in ye 74 year
of his age.
13. HS broken at edge [Her]e lieth the body of Elizabeth ye wife of
Thomas EGERTON she died August ye ………. 60/9……..
14. HS 2 sculls Here lieth ye body of Jane daughter of Thomas and
Elizabeth EGERTON who died December ……………………..
15. HS Sacred to the memory of William CURLING HILTON who died June 28th
1824 aged 35 years. Also of Charlotte wife of the above who died
January 28th 1873 aged 81 years.
16. Double HS 2 cherub’s heads In memory of Ann ASHBEE wife of
William Ashbee of this parish she died 1st February 1773
aged 34 years. Likewise of James their son he died 10 September 1774
aged 9 months. Also of William Ashbee late of Beltinge Farm died April
16th 1812 aged 83 years.
17. HS scull and bones Here lieth the body of Elizabeth wife of Thomas
SUTTON of this parish who left issue one son. She died March 25 1729
aged 57 years.
18. HS Head above Here lieth the body of John SUTTON son of Thomas and
Elizabeth Sutton who died August the 11 17..3 aged 57 years.
19. To the memory of Job LAWRANCE late of this parish, miller, who
departed this life August the 28th 1795 aged 78 years.
20. HS cross in circle (drawing) Charlotte HILTON who died May 19th
1870 aged 21 years. (small caps) Yea though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou are with me.
21. HS of wood not a ?rail In memory of Hanna KENNETT wife of William
Kennett who departed this life aged 28 years. She left surviving one
child Ann Frances. Afflictions sore long time I bore [8 lines].
22. HS scull and bones – close to N porch Here lieth ye body of
Catherine WICKS widdow of Richard Wicks late of this parish who died
ye 6th of March 1726/7.
23. Short thick HS like a milestone near E window 1652 CCG
24. Under the East window upon the E wall (outside) Mr. Thomas BELSEY
died December 5th 1811 aged 62 years. MB 1839, WB 1839, JM
1842, EB 1878. Vaults in front of this: (a) Elizabeth Belsey died 14th
February 1878 aged 79 years. (b) Mary Milles died 14th
August 1822 aged 78 years.
25. Tablet at E end of S aisle (outside) probably of cast iron The
family vault of Mr. John COLLARD BROOMFIELD erected May 1806.
26. On the S side of the churchyard. Double HS only one side filled 2
cherub’s head and scroll work In memory of Mr. John TASTALL departed
this life the 24th December 1784 aged 54 years. He left a
widow and one son. (blank).
27. HSS In memory of WHIDETT? family.
28. HS In memory of Thomas FAIRMAN of the parish of Chislett, yeoman
died October 30th 1828 aged 78 years. Left surviving three
daughters Sarah, Martha and Elizabeth.
29. HS Sacred to the memory of Sarah wife of Thomas FAIRMAN of the
parish of Chislet who died December 31 1815 aged 57 years. Left issue
surviving 3 daughters Sarah, Martha and Elizabeth.
30. HS 2 sculls Here lieth ye body of Isaac CHIDDICK who departed ys
life at Sea Street in this parish February 18th 1713.
31. HS In memory of Daniel FAIRMAN of this parish who died October 17th
1792 aged 63 years. He left surviving Sarah his wife and two daughters
Martha and Mary.
32. HS In memory of Sarah wife of Daniel FAIRMAN late of this parish
who died October 19 1806 aged 72/3? years. She left surviving 2
daughters Martha and Mary.
33. HS 2 sculls and bones, an hourglass between Here lieth ye body of
Thomas FAIRMAN who left issue 2 sons by Martha his second wife. He
died March 6th/16th 1736 aged 59 years. Also 2
sons and 1 daughter ……………………
34. HS In memory of John HOY who was accidentally killed while on duty
at Herne Bay Railway Station 23rd June 1879 aged 40 years.
Be ye also ready for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man
cometh. Matt. XXIV.44.
35. HS scull Here lieth the body of Richard REYNOLDS son of Richard
Reynolds and Mary his wife of this parish who departed this life March
2 1755 aged 24 years.
36. Double HS Here lies ye body of John REYNOLDS son of Richard and
Mary Reynolds departed this life 7th day of September
1743/7 aged 10 years. Also Mary Reynolds daughter of Richard and Mary
Reynolds departed this life 5th day of September 1750 aged
37. HS ornamental work on top Here lieth interr’d/buried the body of
Mary REYNOLDS the wife of Richard? Reynolds of this parish who died
November …. 1742 aged 36? years. She left issue 4 sons and 1
daughter viz. Thomas, Richard, Edward, John and Mary. 4 lines more
38. HS apparently obliterated
39. HS Here lye the bodys of Thomas and Elizabeth, son and daughter of
Edward and Elizabeth REYNOLD of this parish. Thomas died August 1715
aged 3 years. E…….. died June ye 24th
……………….. years. (much sunk forward).
40. HS 2 sculls Here lieth ye body of Edward REYNOLDS late of this
parish who had issue by Elizabeth his wife 5 sons and daughters. He
died April 6th 1738/88 aged 58 years.
41. HS Here lieth the body of Mary the wife of Francis FAIRMAN of this
parish. She died June ye 2nd 1760 aged 58 years.
42. HS Sacred to the memory of Richard PORT who departed this life
July 24th 1797 aged 43 years. Also Mary the wife of Richard
Port who died June 1st 1840 aged 85 years.
43. 5 "Glover" stones 1801-1834.
44. HS Cherub’s head and wings (near the West door of church) Here
lieth the body of Thomas HUTT late of this parish who departed this
life 10 February 1751 aged 58 years. He left issue 1 daughter Mary
wife of Ino….. Wilson (a line of small writing).
45. HS (with hourglass) Here lieth ye body of Elizabeth widow of
Richard HUTT late of ys parish who died June 1, 1757 aged 58 years. 4
lines of poetry.
46. HS Here lieth the body of John KNOWLES who departed this life
April 9 1810 aged 88 years fifty of which he served the office of
Clerk of this parish with credit to himself and satisfaction to his
superiors. by Mary his first wife he had 4 sons and 1 daughter. John
who died in his infancy, William who died 1776 aged 26 years. Mary who
died January 1776 aged 25 years. By his second wife he had 1 son
William who died July 1806 and buried [5 or 6 more lines faint].
47. Here lyeth ye body of …. love we …. departed …….. life
……. May …. ye year of our Lord 1680 aged 51 yeares. TS.
48. HS In memory of John COTTEW late of this parish, glazier who died
December 31 1787 aged 85 years. Also of Ann wife of the above who died
June 2, 1762 aged 62 years.
49. HS cherub’s head and wings Here lieth the body of John COTTEW,
glazier son of John and Ann Cottew of this parish who departed this
life May 22nd 1759 aged 24 years. Weep not for me my
friends most dear I am not lost but sleeping here. Also near this
place lie his ancestors.
50. HS all caps Beneath reposes the mortal remains of William Davey LE
GRAND Esq. eldest son of the late William Le Grand, Esquire of
Canterbury born February 13th 1810 died January 29th
1876. "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is
able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith".
51. HS North West side of churchyard In memory of Susanna wife of
William CAREY of this parish who died 9 January 1815 aged 72 years.
Same HS Right hand half In memory of William CAREY late of this parish
who died 19 August 1818 aged 76/0 years.
52. HS scull above Here lyeth the body of William EWELL of Herne who
died the 29 of October 1769 aged 68 years. NB. This adjoins a
tombstone of the same pattern possibly to a relative of the family.
53. HS double cherub’s heads and wings one above the other In memory
of Mary wife of John BUSBRIDGE of this parish who departed this life
the 16th of April 1776 aged 74 years. 6 lines of poetry.
Also the above said John Busbridge who departed this life on the 23 of
54. HS Sacred to the memory of Stephen BUSBRIDGE who departed this
life February 13th 1846 aged 57 years. Also Ann Maria
Busbridge who departed this life December 9th 1838 aged 21
55. HS Sacred to the memory of Caroline daughter of James and Jane
TASSELL who died March 29 1839 aged 9 years. Arthur died February 5th
1852. Fanny-Jane died July 26th 1852. Edith died October 5th
1852. Emily died October 5th 1853.
56. Sacred to the memory of Sidney infant son of James and Jane
TASSELL who died January 28 1827/37 aged 5 months. Also of Charles H.
who died ……………
57. HS (Inscription on back of No. 49 first to Busbridge) To the
memory of Thomas BUSBRIDGE late of HM Customs who departed this life
at Herne Bay March 4th 1854 in the 77th year of
58. HS Sacred to the memory of James TASSELL, yeoman, of Rhodes Court,
Selling formerly of Wye in this County died July 12th aged
67 years. Also Mary, wife of the above died February 15th
1837 aged 65 years.
59. HS Sacred to the memory of Theodore son of James and Mary TASSELL
who departed this life September 11th 1826 aged 10/40
60. HS Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth daughter of James and Mary
TASSELL of Wye who after a lingering illness born with patience and
resignation departed this life the 10/19 of February 1821/4 (more
61. TASSELL stones – difficult to make out – indecipherable.
62. HS with an extraordinary cherub’s head In memory of Mr. Richard
COOK late of this parish surgeon who died ye 12th August
1775 aged 52 years. Mary Tassell wife of Mr. Richard Cook who died
November 22 1792 aged 90/96/66 years.
63. Another HS apparently to TASSELL much obliterated.
64. HS To the memory of Theodore TRITTON son of Richard and Elizabeth
Cook late of this parish. He died at Cold Harbour, Wye December 23
1827 aged 37 years.
65. On the NE side In memory of Edward BROWN of Herne Bay who died
February 21st 1847 aged 68. Also of Barbara his widow who
died June 25 1856 aged 62 and of six of their children viz. Barbara,
Elizabeth, George, Fanny, Sarah and Thomas.
66. HS Sacred to the memory of John BROWN of this parish who died June
9th 1863 aged 88 years. Also Elizabeth late wife of John
Brown (Lower Red Lion, Herne Street) who departed this life the ……
day of December 1855 aged 75 years. Also two sons of the above, Thomas
67. HS Sacred to the memory of Richard KENNETT late of this parish who
departed this life 3rd of September 1818 aged 63 years. He
left surviving his wife three sons and three daughters. Be ye faithful
in hopes of a joyful Resurrection.
68. HS Sacred to the memory of Mary KENNETT late of this parish who
departed this life 4th of January 1814 aged 18 years. Weep
not dear friends nor grieve no more I am not lost but gone before.
69. HS Sacred to the memory of Harriett KENNETT late of this parish
who departed this life October the 23rd 1837 aged 32 years.
Weep not for me my parents dear I am not dead but sleeping here, my
illness was ………… but ……… God (6 lines).
70. HS Sacred to the memory of Jane widow of the late Mr. Richard
KENNETT of Beltinge in the parish of Herne who died 21st
June 1840 aged 73 years. Left surviving 2 sons and 2 daughters. This
heavenly calm within the breast is the dear pledge of glorious rest (2
71. HS (all caps) W end of churchyard To the memory of Ferdinand
Stanley Head BRYDGES, youngest son of the late Sir S. Egerton Brydges
Bart. of Denton Court, near Canterbury who departed this life at Herne
Bay December 6th 1843 aged 39 years. Also of Mary, relict
of the above named Sir S. Egerton Brydges Bart. and daughter of the
late Revd. William Robinson Rector of Burfield, Berks, brother to
Matthew, first Baron Rokeby who departed this life at Herne Bay
November 27 18….. (sunk).
Index of Names and Places
ASHBEE 1, 16
BING 9, 10
BROWN 65, 66
BUSBRIDGE 53, 54, 57
COLLARD 1, 4, 7, 8, 25
COOK 1, 62
COTTEW 48, 49
CURLING 11, 15
EGERTON 12, 13, 14, 71
EWELL 1, 52
FAIRMAN 1, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 41
Glover 1, 43
GRAND, LE 50
HILTON 15, 20
HUTT 1,44, 45
KENNETT 21, 67, 68, 69, 70
LE GRAND 50
REYNOLDS 1, 35, 36, 37, 39, 40
SUTTON 17, 18
TASSELL 1, 55, 56, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
TRITTON 4, 64
WHITE 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
Beltinge Farm 16
Beltinge, Herne 70
Burfield, Berks 71
Chislet 28, 29
Cold Harbour, Wye 64
Denton Court, near Canterbury 71
Hearn (Herne?) 1
Herne Bay 34, 65, 66, 71
Herne Parsonage 1
Lower Red Lion, Herne Street 66
Rhodes Court, Selling 58
Sea Street, Herne
Wye 58, 60
accidentally killed 34
Clerk of this parish 46
glazier 48, 49
HM Customs 57
Railway Station 34
For details about the advantages of membership of
the Kent Archaeological Society click
to Churchyards Listed To
Library and Visual Records To
Kent Archaeological Society is a
registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is
constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other
researchers will be to gratefully
received so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record
as possible. Please send details too email@example.com