SOCIETY -- RESEARCH Studying and sharing Kent's past Homepage
of names and places at end
to Churchyards listed
The Monumental Inscriptions in the
churchyard of Hawkhurst Church Noted by Leland L. Duncan
Frank Bamping 2 March
The following is a transcription of the un-numbered pages at
the end of Volume VII of
Mr L.L. Duncan's notebook on the Martin Family taken sometime before 1923
South West of the Tower.
12. (1) Sarah wife of John Martin died 22 December 1749 aged 39.
13. (2) Thomas Martin of this Parish, yeoman, died 26 April 1767 aged 73 (or 5).
14. (3) John Marten of this Parish, yeoman, died 26 January 1724 aged 69. Also
Elizabeth his wife died 13 February 1742/3 in 82nd year.
Six stones East of the Chancel.
15. (1) William son of Edward and Mary Martin died 23 February 1804 aged 9
16. (2) Harriot daughter of Edward and Mary Martin died 5 May 1806 aged 11
17. (3) Elizabeth daughter of Edward and Mary Martin died 28 October 1809 aged
18. (4) Edward Martin late of this Parish died 30 September 1843 aged 81. Mary
wife of Edward Martin died 2 January 1819 aged 50. Left issue 3 sons and 2
daughters viz John, Edward, Thomas, Mary and Sarah. Also Ann his second wife
died 13 January 1826 aged 60.
19. (5) Edward Martin son of Edward Martin lost his life whilst bathing in the
Channel in the Parish of Stone 27 June 1820 aged 19 years. By cruel fate
resistless bourne/He sought the swelling flood to bathe/In youth's fresh bloom
from hope was torne/and sunk beneath th'oewhelming wave/Urg'd on with agonizing
pain/Jh'extended arm was streched to same/But ah the effort proved in vain/He
hapless found a wat'ry grave.
20. (6) Jane Martin born April 29 1802 died
May 28 1850. Also Lily youngest daughter of Edward and Mary Davis who died
August 27 1895 aged 34.In the
South East corner of the Yard.
21. In loving memory of my dear husband Jesse Martin died 24 April 1900 aged 62.
22. Esther wife of Henry Thomas Martin of this Parish born 25 March 1837 died 19
June 1903. Also Henry Thomas son of the above who died at Berlin, Germany (a
civilian prisoner of war) 26 May 1915 aged 49. Interred at Clienicke Cemetery,
22a John Martin of this Parish died 27 June 1892 aged 74. Jane his wife died 25
May 1906 in her 81st year.
23. James Martin of Hailsham, Sussex, died 29 March 1871 aged 72.
Names and Places
Berlin, Germany 22
Clienicke Cemetery, Potsdam 22
Hailsham, Sussex 23
civilian prisoner of war 22
lost his life whilst bathing in the Channel 19
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2002
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com