with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of
Fordwich Church, Noted by Bax & Rice
128-132 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches
typed up by Margaret Broomfield
Also some Monumental Inscriptions
Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1757, added 12th July 2008
Names in Churchyard
30 April 1897
1. Rev. F.C. Kennett Primitive Methodist Minister 1886, Col. Charles James
Cox of Fordwich House the last Mayor of Fordwich who d. February 18th
1889 aged 77 years and to his wife. Jarvis, Pilcher, Croydon 1792, 1823,
Arter 1848 1864, Brown, Moy, Farrier, Gilbert, Somerville, Gammon, Port,
Leman 1863, Lilly, Crayford, Mountford, Stringer, Castle, Noble, Bench?
2. HS scull Here lies the body of Ann the wife of Mr. John SMITH of Rye,
merchant, who died the 30th day of September 1703 in the 74th
year of (sunk)
3. HS scull Here liel ye body of Ann HART ye wife of John Hart who dyed
4. HS Here lyeth the bod
.. wife of John
5. HS scull Here lieth the body of John NIXON Senior who died April
6. HS (scull) Here lieth ye body of Sarah ye wife of William SMITH of
Rominsgate? ye daughter of Ino. Nixon Senior she died June (sunk).
7. HS 2 sculls and bones Here lies buried ye body of Henry BROWN late of
this Town he departed this life January the 2nd day 1720/1 aged
8. HS Here lyes ye body of Elizabeth BROWN ye wife of Henry Brown of this
parish who departed this life ye 6 day of January 1706/7.
9. HS scull Here lieth the body of William MANGER who died April ye 18th
1723 aged 29 years. Also H
10. HS scroll work In memory of Catharine the wife of William SMITH after
enduring her share of affliction with Christian patience she died the 13th
of March 1758 aged 67 years.
11. Flat stone To the memory of Mrs. Ann WARREN late of this parish who
died June 7th 1811 aged 85 years. Widow of Mr. Isaac Warren
formerly accountant to the East India Company.
12. HS scull very primitive Here
13. HS (opposite side of path) To the memory of Charlotte daughter of
Henry and Mary KENNETT of this Town who died September 13 1814 aged 31
years. 4 lines of poetry.
14. HS 2 cherubs heads, 2 sculls below, an hourglass Here lieth the
body of Simon WATSON who died July 5th 1737 aged 65 years. Also
the body of Anne wife of the above said Simon Watson and daughter of Alex
and Alice Hart who died March 24th 1731 aged 51 years and left
issue 5 sons and 5 daughters.
15. HS Here lieth ye body of John WHITE who departed this life ye 18 of
march 1719/20 aged 25 years. Also here lieth ye body of Mary Emptage who
died February ye 12 1763 aged 89 years.
16. HS Here lieth the body of Thomas RAYNOLDS sonn of Ely Raynolds late of
.. he died ye 29th day 9 of November 1686 aged 61
buried the body of Judeth late wife of Edward YOUNG she
died the 22 of August 1648 being aged 60 yeares.
of march 1671
19. HS scull and cross bones Here lieth ye body of Thomas GIBBS grandson
of Elizabeth Raynolds son of Nicholas and Bennet Gibbs. He departed this
life June ye 19th 1705 aged 12 years 46 weeks.
20. High tomb lower part of stone on the slab above Here also lieth
. body of Bridget wife of the laid Ino. BIX? who departed this
. 1710 aged 90 years and likewise ye body of Ino.
Bix Gent. son of ye above laid Ino. and Bridget Bix who was 4 times Mayor
of this Twon (sic). He departed this life October 8th 1720 aged
21. HS (Elderly cherubs head above) In memory of William SILK late of
ye parish, coal merchant and farmer. He died August 29 1740 aged 45 yea
leaving a sorrowful widow, one son and 5 daughters.
22. HS cherubs head, wings and trumpets To the memory of Thomas SILK
late one of the Jurates of this town who died 17th August 1763
aged 63. If merits, truth and diligence could save the good, the just, or
pious from the grave, the earth too soon this sober tenant found. Whom
ties of love and faithful service bound. Oh death, alas by Heavens
decree he fell, espousd by one and yet by all lovd well. Remembrance
this excites the generous tear and loving wife and child chief mourners
23. HS 2 cherubs heads, scroll work etc. In memory of John WOODRUFF
late freeman of this Town. He departed this life December the 21st
1752 aged 61 years. He married Ann daughter of John Drayson of Eastry who
died without issue. He afterwards married Mary the daughter of ye Revd.
Mr. John Nicholls Rector of Fordwich who died the 7th of April
1763 in the 46th year of her age by whome he had one son and
one daughter (viz) John and Elizabeth whome he left surviving. Also of
Thomas son of the last mentioned John Woodruffe aged 4 years (sic).
24. HS In memory of John WOODRUFF late one of the Jurates of this Town who
died July 20th 1802 aged 66 years. Also Mary the wife of the
above named John Woodruff who died June 15th 1802 aged 70
years. And of Henry their son who died June 6th 1796 aged 32
25. Low tomb on top Here lyeth the body of John DENN Gent. who died in
Fordwich the 19 of December 1655 aged 61 yeares.
26. NB There is a low tomb near the SE wall of church with very long
inscription probably mostly poetry difficult to decipher.
27. HS 2 sculls and cherubs heads Here lieth the body of Alexander HART
who departed this life August 20 1740 aged 84 years. Also Ales his wife
aged 73 years by whom he had 7 children only 2 daughters surviving. (4
lines poetry). Also S
. relict of Thomas Silk late of this Town one
of the daughters of the above said Alexander hart she died September ye 11th
1769 aged 78 years.
28. HS To the memory of Mary the wife of Thomas SOMERFORD of this parish
who died 26 of 1819 aged 61 years. Left issue surviving three sons and six
daughters. Also of the above Thomas Somerford who died August 3rd
1824 aged 63 years.
29. The only tomb on the N side of churchyard is to:- Rev. Edward
BRAILSFORD MA, Rector, died 29 March 1893 aged 86.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -
Also some Monumental Inscriptions
Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1757, added 12th July 2008
In The Chancell.[Arg.
on a saltre. sa. 5 f-de-l. or HAWKINS imp. Όly of 6:
30. On A Brass Plate, fixt to a Flat Stone. The Arms lost. Here lieth
The Body of Catharine NORTON, late Wife to Valentine Norton of Fordwich,
Gent, and sole Daughter and Heir of William WICKHAM of South Mimmes in
Hartford Shire, Esq. who dyed the 16th Day of January 1610/11 Anno
Aetatis suae 21. Fame sounds so shrill over this tender Coarse,/The Dead
growne deafe, and Fame herselfe growne hoarse./Malicious Envye cannot
carp at Fame;/For, what She sounds, the Dead deservd the same./All
speake her Worthe, that knew her, mayde or Wyfe;/Yet all speake all too
little to her Life./Fate is excused, it robs not her, of Blisse,/But
us, that such a lively Mirrour miss./One only Son She bore, at whose
dear Byrthe,/She changd her earthly Joys for Heavnly Myrthe.
31. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth The Body of Elisabeth DAREL, Widow of
Robert Darel, Esq. who died Octob. 14 1680.
32. On Another. Robert DAREL Esq. Sonne of James Darel Esq. Brother to
Robert Darel of Cale Hill Esq. who died June 10 1668.
33. On Another. Here lieth the Body of Samuel SHORTE, late of this
Towne, Esq. who died Dec. 10 1716 and Elis. Shorte, who died Sept. 28
34. On Another.
35. On Another Flat Stone. Under this Stone lieth The Body of John
NICHOLLS, Rector of Fordwich above 28 Years. He died ye 20th Day of Mar.
A.D. 1741/2 in the 68th Year of his Age. He was sometime Vicar of
Sheldwich, and, near 40 Years Minister of Harty. He married Martha, only
Daughter of Robt. CUMBERLAND, Vicar of Chilham, who lived lovingly, and
faithfully together upwards of 42 Years. They had Issue 5 Sons, and 3
Daughters, of whom he left only 2 Daughters, and a sorrowfull Widow
surviving. Close by him, on the right Side, lieth also, the Body of the
above said Martha, his Wife; who died July ye 20th 1747 in the 74th Year
of her Age.
In The Body.
36. On A Brass Plate, on a Flat Stone.
1). 3 swords, 2&1, hilts convergg. at fess point, in chief 3
maunches (no tinctures).
2). On a chevn. 3 talbots.
3). Or, 3 bars sa. an inescutn. gu. & a chief.
4). A chevn. wt. 3 stars of 5 points betw. 3 roundels, a chief checky
5). a fess wt. 3 crosses, betw. 3 foxes (written).
6). A chevn. betw. 3 fusils].
(only 3 is tinctd.).
Here lieth The Body of Aphra HAWKINS,
Wyfe of Henry Hawkins, Gent, and Daughter of Thomas NORTON, Esq. who
scarcely having arrived to 21 Years of Age, fully attained to Perfection
in many Vertues departed this frayle Lyfe ye XVIth of Janu. 1605/6.
37. On a Flat Stone. (a
fess dancy. betw. 3 roundels, (no tinctures) PILCHER imp. Paly of 6 or
& sa. HURLESTONE). Here lieth The
Body of Thomas Pilcher, Gent, sometimes Mayor; married 49 Yeares to
Mary, Daughter of Thomas Hurleston Esq. Her Mother was Daughter to
Thomas NORTON Esq. The said Thomas Pilcher departed this Life, the 9th
Day of July 1692. In the ../ Yeare of his Age.
38. On Another. Here lieth the Body of Thomas NORTON Esq. baptised 19
Jan 1554/5 and dyed ye 7th of August 1625.
39. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Elisabeth, the 2d. Wife
of Anthony JENNINGS the elder, of this Towne, who died 22 Jan. 1750/1.
Aged 76 Years.
40. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth the Body of Sarah HILDEN, Wife of John
Hillden, of this Parish, who died Feb. 11 1750/1 in the 56th Year of her
Age. Why do we mourn departing Friends,/Or shake at Deaths Alarms?/Tis
but the Voice that Jesus sends,/To call them to His Arms.
41. On Another. Here lieth the Body of Edward HILLDEN, who, by an
industrious Application, from a mean Beginning, raised himself to an
handsome Competence. He died in the 80th Year of his Age, 6 July 1723.
42. Five Other Flat Stones not legible.
43. This Church consists of The Chancell, Body, and an Isle to the
North. In the Steeple, which is a Spire, and stands at the West End,
hang 4 Bells, all made by Joseph HATCH, in ye Years 1624 & 1633.
In The Church Yard.
44. On an Altar Tomb. (Arms of BIX). Here lieth buried The Body of
Thomas Bix, late of Faversham, Gent. He was interred July 21 1632. And
Dorothy his Wife, interred Oct. 25 1652. Also Thomas, Son of Thomas and
Dorothy Bix; who was 5 Times Mayor of this Towne, who died March 25
1662. Also John Bix Gent, of this Towne, who departed Nov. 27 1697 Aged
69. Also Bridget, Wife of the above John Bix, died 3 Jany. 1719/20 aged
90. Also of John Bix, Son of John & Bridget, who was 4 Times Mayor.
He died 8 Octob. 1720 aged 57.
/ John DENNE, Gent, who died in Fordwich 19 December
1655 aged 65.
46. On Another Altar Tomb.
./ Walter *BIGGE, late Jurate, and twice
Mayor who died 10 Jan 1631/2. Aged 68. who by his Will (beside other
Works of Charity) gave Land, of the annual Rent of £8 for a Perpetuity
to the Poore of Fordwich. *or PRIGGE.
47. One Other, not legible and a very ancient Stone Herse, or
48. It is a Rectory and is calld St. Maries. It is in the
../. The Present Rector, viz. 1757 is
Index of Names and Places
BIX? 20, 44
BROWN 1, 7, 8
DAREL 31, 32, 34
HART 3, 27
KENNETT 1, 13
NICHOLLS 23, 35
NIXON 5, 6
NORTON 30, 36, 38
PILCHER 1, 37
RAYNOLDS 16, 19
SILK 21, 22, 27
SMITH 2, 6, 10
WOODRUFF 23, 24
Fordwich House 1
South Mimms, Hertfordshire 30
coal merchant 21
East India Company 11
Jurates 22, 24, 46
Mayor 1, 20, 37, 44, 46
Primitive Methodist Minister 1
Rector 1, 23, 29
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003,
added to 12th July 2008
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
received so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org